Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Sport Rider this morning for a 9am oil change appt. Planned to test drive a 2011 Cross Roads. Was told a test drive reservation was required as they had removed all the batteries from the bikes. I went outside, looked the bike over, turned the key to the On position and the lights came on. Decided to hit the starter and listened to the bike run for awhile. Went in and told the "salesman" that the bike had a battery and started just fine. He just said, "Well, I guess someone must have put one in." Not, "Want to take it out for a ride?"

I won't bother with a reservation. I'll take my business to Erv's Sales & Service, Bill's Service Center, or Mies Outland where they send you out on whatever you are interested in. In this case I might even drive 6hrs to Randy's Cycle. They know "If you ride one, you'll own one"

Does your local shop require reservations for test rides?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Went to Sport Rider this morning for a 9am oil change appt. Planned to test drive a 2011 Cross Roads. Was told a test drive reservation was required as they had removed all the batteries from the bikes. I went outside, looked the bike over, turned the key to the On position and the lights came on. Decided to hit the starter and listened to the bike run for awhile. Went in and told the "salesman" that the bike had a battery and started just fine. He just said, "Well, I guess someone must have put one in." Not, "Want to take it out for a ride?"

I won't bother with a reservation. I'll take my business to Erv's Sales & Service, Bill's Service Center, or Mies Outland where they send you out on whatever you are interested in. In this case I might even drive 6hrs to Randy's Cycle. They know "If you ride one, you'll own one"

Yeah.....see the thread I started....Tips for Victory Dealers. If Ma Vic is smart, she' ditch the crappy ones.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
After they knew their was a battery in it would they let you ride? Or did you not want to by then? They have been very good to us However we have had a learning curve communicating with them. But it always has worked out good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dealer just told me to come on and bring a helmet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
My dealer even supplies the helmet if you didn't bring one. They have most every current Vic model demo outside on display and ready to ride every day.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Two dealers in my local, both will do test rides on certain demo models, but if you ask for a model that isn't set up for demo, they have to prep it first. Takes over an hour. Sounds stupid to me, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've heard a couple people talking about how some smaller dealers are saving money buying insurance that requires each demo-rider be submitted for approval prior to a test ride. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't either. That could explain the reservation system.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I've heard a couple people talking about how some smaller dealers are saving money buying insurance that requires each demo-rider be submitted for approval prior to a test ride. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't either. That could explain the reservation system.
After I watched a lady ride her Sportster into a guard rail on my last demo ride, such approval makes a lot of sense. Such incidents could get expensive.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Test ride liability signoff

When I test rode a CCT a couple months ago I had to sign an authorization and release page. I was somewhat amused that one of the paragraphs (paraphrasing) said that, if I killed myself on the bike, then the bike would be paid for from my estate. That's what I call covering all bases!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I did setup a reservation however when I got there they seemed surprised that I went through the trouble. It seemed like I could walk in almost anytime for a test ride without a problem. I did have to the waiver as well. Chesapeake Cycle in Annapolis. Victory of Southern Maryland is the same way but I've never taken one out from there.

I did see a guy run a Harley straight into a wall breaking both forks completely off. Went WOT and dumped the clutch. Good thing that there was no one else in front of him. And I saw a guy lay down a Vegas while trying to navigate straight through a round-a-bout. Both were demo truck bikes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After they knew their was a battery in it would they let you ride? Or did you not want to by then? They have been very good to us However we have had a learning curve communicating with them. But it always has worked out good.
I had asked to take the 2011 Cross Road for a test ride. I then had made Adam aware that there was a baterry in the bike. He did have a customer in while I was there that took delivery on a new Triumph and he took her out for a ride check. It was after she was gone that I let Adam know there was a baterry in the bike. I did not ask twice if I could take a test ride and I know from past experience that you are accompanied on test rides from Sport Rider. I was willing to ride up until I walked out the door.

Guess they are having a good month. Have a $1000 demo coupon in my pocket to use on any of their new bikes also.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts

Sounds like the salesman you talked to isnt really into sales at all. You could either go up the chain of command or just call Randy's Cycle. You won't have to teach anyone at Randy's anything about getting you onto a demo bike for a ride. You will, however have to sign their waiver. Let us know what bike you end up buying from Randy's.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A few weeks ago I went to Planet Powersports in Coldwater MI. to help out while the demo truck was there.

They didn't have a Jackpot, and the guy driving the Victory truck said that it was totaled within the first month he was out on the tour.

One of the girls working there told me about a lady that fell over in their driveway before she even pulled out onto the road.

I can understand the hesitation to allow test rides, you just don't know the riding experience of someone walking into your showroom.

If your bike was for sale, and some stranger wanted to "test ride" it would you let him?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
BTW those demo bikes from the truck sure do look beaten up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can understand the hesitation to allow test rides, you just don't know the riding experience of someone walking into your showroom.

If your bike was for sale, and some stranger wanted to "test ride" it would you let him?
The salesman knows me by first name. I was having the oil changed on my Kingpin with 15K miles on it. I participated in two demo days 2weeks earlier riding 6 bikes. The XR Classic was my last and favorite ride. Loading the gun to pull the trigger, but just got blanks to load so far.

Randy's has a nice 2010 XR. Will see if I can make the ride down before it's sold.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
One of the girls working there told me about a lady that fell over in their driveway before she even pulled out onto the road.
I was talking to a salesman about my experience and he said wrecking bikes is a regular occurrence. Usually it's not much more than popping the clutch, running off into a field, and falling over.

But at least that's on the owner's nickle.

The feds built us a big, beautiful exit ramp from I-75 to I-70 within the last few years. I remember when it first opened, some guy bought a new Harley and went to ride it on I-70 back to Indiana. He made it around the bend just far enough to whack the wall at the top and fall down several stories, nearly landing on I-75.

The other day I saw a dresser planted deep in a corn field. I thought he was coming from my direction and there was no turn so I thought maybe a deer spooked him, but coming back the other way later, I could see where the road turned and he went straight for the ears.

Only if they paid me up front as collateral for any damage incurred.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts