Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested a Vision before I purchased my XCT. I found the bike big and cumbersome.
Since then I have put 31,000 km on my XCT.

Today I took my wife's V Star 650 to my Vic dealer to get a new inspection sticker. While I was there I took out a 2014 Vision for a test ride. I been wanting to compare the XCT to the Vision now that I am familiar with the weight and size of the Victory's.

First off I felt like I was sitting a mile from the front of the bike.
Second the seat was much nicer than my XCT. You sit in a pocket that supports your lower spine.

When I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed the Vision has much lighter steering feel. And low speed or walking speed riding was very easy with none of the issues my XCT gives me.

The motor was tight and very quiet. I had to listen very hard to hear the roller rockers. My XCT top end noise is very very loud. The gear box had a minor clunk but rev matching made that quiet and very high quality sounding.

The bike handled a lot better than my XCT. Hands down a better bike when you compare motor racket, shifting harshness and handling.

Now usually when you jump on a bike that your not familiar with you compare it to your bike and think of all the things your bike does or feels better at.
This was not the case with the Vision.

Those of you that have read my posts know I have been harsh with Victory in the past. And I always tell it like it is. I don't brag how good something is just because I own it.

Bottom line.
This Vision was an amazing bike to ride. There was a strange quality feel to it. Now it did have 2100 km on it and it's been pounded on by a bunch of testers and still felt great.
I rode the back roads and over rough section and took it on the highway. It pulled like a freight train from 2k up to 4500. The motor didn't make any bad noises. The shifting while rev matching worked and sounded completely different from my XCT. It had a tight and quality feel. The top end tick was barely noticeable.

I wanted to trade right there on the spot. What a difference having the fairing mounted on the frame.

I can't tell you guys how much I was impressed by this bike. I want it..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As much as I love my XC I still always walk over to the Vision every time I visit my dealer at Best Buy Ft Pierce. Its all black and its a beauty. I did notice that it was considerably harder to get her off the kickstand than my XC and than previous Visions that I had ridden. I wonder if they are using a shorter side stand this year. Easy enough to fix. Still I'm with you I like it and wouldn't mind having it. The best in 2 up riding hands down. Just wish they would redesign it a little as far as the swoopy trunk and the lack of side bag room. Then I would consider it as the next ride.

·
13,251 Posts
I rode five different vision before I bought mine. Two months after I had it I road a h-d and was so happy I bought the vision. After having the vision I road a CC on a test ride and it was OK but I felt the vision was a way better handling bike.

Keep in mind you were riding a brain new bike so yes it was quiet but after 2500 miles the lifters be just like yours. The tranie might stay quiet but you never know.

Can't wait to hear you trade in your bike but wait for the 2015

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the Vision had had saddlebags big enough to put my wife's purse in I might have bought it. The lack of storage was so little that the thought of going on one of our trips two up was unbearable. But it sure handles sweet

·
Registered
640 Posts
I loved mine! and will have another one day. i just need to finnish paying off my kingpin.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I cant wait to see the changes coming up for all the touring platforms. You know they need to do it. It's time. The Vision was there signature bike and now the Cross series has taken over. The fixed frame mounted fairing is a winner and the reason these bike ride so well. A redesign is needed for storage. Otherwise I still like it a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sold by demo ride

I just clocked over three thousand miles since March 22nd. I completely agree with your findings about the Vision. Now at almost eight thousand miles total on this 106 engine I can tell you the lifters have only been noticeable during first test ride with Lloydz timing wheel. Four degree advance with 87 octane left in the tank was to blame. This bike loves 93 octane now. The handling and overall ease of operation was shocking compared to the 2000 Venture that I traded in. I ride to work everyday that weather allows and at the end of a long hard day I don't dread wrestling it up off of the side stand. Also I no longer need to wear the logging boots just to flatfoot at a stop. Until you have had a power windshield you have no idea how cool this really is. Victory could improve storage on a near perfect machine, but other than that there is no where to go up from here. When you ride a Vision you have arrived. Just my opinion, no regrets!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I tested a Vision before I purchased my XCT. I found the bike big and cumbersome.
Since then I have put 31,000 km on my XCT.

Today I took my wife's V Star 650 to my Vic dealer to get a new inspection sticker. While I was there I took out a 2014 Vision for a test ride. I been wanting to compare the XCT to the Vision now that I am familiar with the weight and size of the Victory's.

First off I felt like I was sitting a mile from the front of the bike.
Second the seat was much nicer than my XCT. You sit in a pocket that supports your lower spine.

When I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed the Vision has much lighter steering feel. And low speed or walking speed riding was very easy with none of the issues my XCT gives me.

The motor was tight and very quiet. I had to listen very hard to hear the roller rockers. My XCT top end noise is very very loud. The gear box had a minor clunk but rev matching made that quiet and very high quality sounding.

The bike handled a lot better than my XCT. Hands down a better bike when you compare motor racket, shifting harshness and handling.

Now usually when you jump on a bike that your not familiar with you compare it to your bike and think of all the things your bike does or feels better at.
This was not the case with the Vision.

Those of you that have read my posts know I have been harsh with Victory in the past. And I always tell it like it is. I don't brag how good something is just because I own it.

Bottom line.
This Vision was an amazing bike to ride. There was a strange quality feel to it. Now it did have 2100 km on it and it's been pounded on by a bunch of testers and still felt great.
I rode the back roads and over rough section and took it on the highway. It pulled like a freight train from 2k up to 4500. The motor didn't make any bad noises. The shifting while rev matching worked and sounded completely different from my XCT. It had a tight and quality feel. The top end tick was barely noticeable.

I wanted to trade right there on the spot. What a difference having the fairing mounted on the frame.

I can't tell you guys how much I was impressed by this bike. I want it..

It's funny because I had the same exact experience that you just had with my brothers Vision. He has a 2011 Vision 8-ball and I have a 2011 XC. I just got done installing all the performances goodies on his Vision and spent a couple of weeks riding the Vision. I thought the same thing as you did. The Vision is just a nicer motorcycle than my Cross Country. The low speed handling was better, there was less unwanted engine noise, the seat is much better, the wind protection is better, and overall the bike is much more refined than my Cross Country. The Visions are phenomenal motorcycles and I came away very impressed.

But that being said, I'm not getting rid of my XC. The one thing that I don't like about the Vision is that the cockpit is much more compact than the XC's. For a normal sized person that isn't a problem but when your 6' 5" I really appreciate the additional room of the XC cockpit. Also, the Vision's saddle bags just aren't big enough for me.

But I'm a firm believer that the best value right now in the world of motorcycles is a used Vision. You just can't buy a bike that will do everything as well as a Vision.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As much as I love my XC I still always walk over to the Vision every time I visit my dealer at Best Buy Ft Pierce. Its all black and its a beauty. I did notice that it was considerably harder to get her off the kickstand than my XC and than previous Visions that I had ridden. I wonder if they are using a shorter side stand this year. Easy enough to fix. Still I'm with you I like it and wouldn't mind having it. The best in 2 up riding hands down. Just wish they would redesign it a little as far as the swoopy trunk and the lack of side bag room. Then I would consider it as the next ride.
I have a feeling they will redesign. The Visions price has been lowered and sales are down since the XCT was brought to market.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode five different vision before I bought mine. Two months after I had it I road a h-d and was so happy I bought the vision. After having the vision I road a CC on a test ride and it was OK but I felt the vision was a way better handling bike.

Keep in mind you were riding a brain new bike so yes it was quiet but after 2500 miles the lifters be just like yours. The tranie might stay quiet but you never know.

Can't wait to hear you trade in your bike but wait for the 2015
My XCT is a 2013. So I don't think the boss will go for a trade (yet)...
I couldn't believe how the Vision made my XCT feel real old.

The Vision felt so light at the bars and it fell into the turns like a light weight bike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the Vision had had saddlebags big enough to put my wife's purse in I might have bought it. The lack of storage was so little that the thought of going on one of our trips two up was unbearable. But it sure handles sweet
When I was looking to buy the vision that was the same issue for me. And the XCT had just came out. They would not cut a deal for the Vision so I decided he XCT was a better deal.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant wait to see the changes coming up for all the touring platforms. You know they need to do it. It's time. The Vision was there signature bike and now the Cross series has taken over. The fixed frame mounted fairing is a winner and the reason these bike ride so well. A redesign is needed for storage. Otherwise I still like it a lot.
Yes I agree. Some small changes will put the Vision on the top tier.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny because I had the same exact experience that you just had with my brothers Vision. He has a 2011 Vision 8-ball and I have a 2011 XC. I just got done installing all the performances goodies on his Vision and spent a couple of weeks riding the Vision. I thought the same thing as you did. The Vision is just a nicer motorcycle than my Cross Country. The low speed handling was better, there was less unwanted engine noise, the seat is much better, the wind protection is better, and overall the bike is much more refined than my Cross Country. The Visions are phenomenal motorcycles and I came away very impressed.

But that being said, I'm not getting rid of my XC. The one thing that I don't like about the Vision is that the cockpit is much more compact than the XC's. For a normal sized person that isn't a problem but when your 6' 5" I really appreciate the additional room of the XC cockpit. Also, the Vision's saddle bags just aren't big enough for me.

But I'm a firm believer that the best value right now in the world of motorcycles is a used Vision. You just can't buy a bike that will do everything as well as a Vision.
I always had this little voice in the back of my head that says try a vision again. Now I have and I want one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Very similar story to mine. I had been looking at the Vision, several trips to the dealership, a couple of test rides, and the boss was convinced that we should buy one. This was in 2010 and the XC had just been released. I decided to wait until I could ride one of the new Victory baggers to make the final decision. I called Arlen Ness's shop and they had a black XC in stock with the trunk(!). My wife and I drove to Dublin, CA and we both decided that the XC would be our bike of choice only because of the amount of storage. If the Vision's bags weren't so woefully small, we would've bought it instead.

40,000 miles later and I'm still happy with my decision, especially after I converted my XC to an XCT. If Victory addresses the storage issue with the Vision AND they improve the switchgear, I'll be seriously tempted to trade...

·
13,251 Posts
Not trying to start argument
How much does the wife have to take.
Girlfriend and I went for a two week trip and had all we needed/ We washed clothes at motels. Of course I put my foot down when she wanted to bring three bikinis. Told her bring the smallest one. She even had a dress.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Girlfriend and I went for a two week trip and had all we needed/ We washed clothes at motels. Of course I put my foot down when she wanted to bring three bikinis. Told her bring the smallest one. She even had a dress.
Two weeks?

I took five weeks and hit all four corners of the contiguous US, also completing the IronButt's 50CC Quest along the way: richfeather.blogspot.com.

:D

I guarantee the Vision wouldn't have had enough space for the trip.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The Visions passenger seat and trunk are decent. Happy wife! When I had the trunk on my XC honey didn't care for the sit straight up position. I didn't care for the weight of the trunk. We use a Vic backrest and WD rack with a carry on that actually stores more stuff and conveniently carries off.

When I rode a Vision a few years back it was trunk less. I absolutely loved the ride and the windshield was great. I have to say the Vision put me on the quest for my 1st touring bike. The 8ball was available then but the lack of comforts wasn't there. It looked bad ass though and the customizing that some have done to that model really set it apart. The XC showed up in time to keep me from a HD/SG.

Going to the Vision section of this forum now to look at some members bikes. cheers

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Good job JV. That's funny stuff.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
The power plants are the same on the VV and the CCT, no? How can there be so much difference in the noise level and feeling of "smooth" between these two bikes if the power plants are identical?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very similar story to mine. I had been looking at the Vision, several trips to the dealership, a couple of test rides, and the boss was convinced that we should buy one. This was in 2010 and the XC had just been released. I decided to wait until I could ride one of the new Victory baggers to make the final decision. I called Arlen Ness's shop and they had a black XC in stock with the trunk(!). My wife and I drove to Dublin, CA and we both decided that the XC would be our bike of choice only because of the amount of storage. If the Vision's bags weren't so woefully small, we would've bought it instead.

40,000 miles later and I'm still happy with my decision, especially after I converted my XC to an XCT. If Victory addresses the storage issue with the Vision AND they improve the switchgear, I'll be seriously tempted to trade...
Hi Rich
That's the reason I bought my XCT. The funny thing is that when you open the bags on the vision you see that they made the storage area very small compared to the space available.

As time goes on the Vision seems to have grown on me even more. It's is coming into its own now that time has caught up to its styling.

I can't stop thinking about the ride today. I have never felt so comfortable on a unfamiliar bike. Maybe because the controls fell into the same place so there was no searching. This thing was so lite on its feet I thought there was a problem with the front end. It was like driving with power steering for the first time. And it felt so solid over the railway tracks. There was no rattles no clunks.

The Vision is a seriously under rated bike.

I have a fear that due to slow sales they will ether drop the Vision or change it's style to a point that it's not a Vision any more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts