Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to one of the victory demo truck ride events yesterday and specifically went to test ride a XC. I've been looking long and hard for ways to get more cornering clearance out of my KP, which I've achieved but it's still not where I want it to be. I've been looking into the XC as a possible replacement as I heard it has more clearance.

It does. I can go deeper into the turn and not have fear of scraping hard parts like I do with my KP. It's smoother and has more bump compliance. It does not have the power and feels noticeably slower.

THEN, I got back on my KP. Taking off from a stop and turning left, I almost flipped the bike onto its side! The KP is SO much more reponsive. It wants to turn, and it wants to go fast! Then there's the road feel and connectedness. The XC comparatively felt like a stick in rubber vs a stick in concrete for the KP! The throttle response was more instantaneous (this isn't fair since I have intake, exhaust, and a tuned PCV), but more importantly every control was more direct.

I'm going to find a way to continue to get more cornering clearance out of my beloved KP. She rides more like a sport standard than a big cruiser, and I love her for it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Vegas controls actually ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I know the difference.

I meant I don't have stock Kingpin controls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Me too!!

I tried out the XC. I felt like I was siting on the couch, Until we started moving. I have a tall shield on my Kingpin. The wind blast on the XC compared to my bike was unbelieveable. I agree with you, My Kingpin felt like a sportbike compared to the XC, and I`m all stock. I was thinking the XC just wasn`t dialed in. I want to try another XC with a tall shield.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I tried out the XC. I felt like I was siting on the couch, Until we started moving.
I thought the one I rode even felt like a couch even moving. The comfort aspect doesn't bother me though. I think the issue is the visceral appeal. On the cruisers, it feels more motorcycle like. You feel the wind and hear the engine. With the hotter cams and 100 lb or so less weight, they are unquestionably spunkier.

The stock XC made me feel very insulated and cozy. Not a bad thing, particularly for longer rides, but not something I wanted in an everyday ride.

I split the difference and got an XR with the Stage 1. It feels more open, barks under throttle, has great passenger accommodations, good fuel capacity/mileage, and has exceptional ground clearance for a bike of its type. However, it still won't run with a KP in a straight line. Everything in life is a tradeoff...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just test rode 5 different Victory models at Laconis last week. I couldn't believe the difference in power between the touring models and the cruisers. They all rode good and handled fine. The bike that went the best was the Vegas 8 Ball, tied for 2nd was the Judge and Kingpin. The touring bikes XC and Vision road great but seemed detuned or something. I couldn't believe they had the same size engine. The short windshield on the XC looked great but the lack of wind protection was horrible! The XC was my dream bike, not any more. I'm going to keep my Kingpin for a while longer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i had a 08 kp, traded up for 2012 cxt and YES it was slow at start but picked up quickly, 5 months later had the performance upgrade, cams, controler, and d&d slip on 16 inch bars from kevinx and IM NOT RIDEING ON A COUCH, this thing will scoot. i loved my kp very much but if i keep it i still wouldnt get to ride it much. i have 2 bikes and one sits a lot now.

DAM THEY LOOK GOOD TOGEATHER, my first pic of both.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both those bikes are beautiful, Ron. That bobber is stripped and clean... love the copper!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats good to hear!!! Maybe Victory should set up their demo bikes with exhaust and mapping!! They would probably have alot more positive feedback from people that test ride. My buddy had rented a 2012 Harley Electraglide limited for the week and test drove an XC, coming from the Harley, he thought the stock XC was under powered. I never thought I would hear that!! He then took out a Highball with pipes etc. and came back with a smile ear to ear and said he would love to have one!! With the bikes I rode, there was a huge power difference between the stock Vegas 8 ball and the stock XC. I was expecting the 106 motor in the XC to pull like my 100 in my kingpin. Believe me, I would rather be saying I loved the XC. It was my dream bike. I expected it to to blow my socks off. I thought I wouldn't be getting any sleep until I figured out a way to get one!!! It could be that the demo bike Victory uses is a dog. I will be stopping by my local Victory dealer to see if I can take out another XC. I'll update when I get a chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts