Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode a new Victory Cross Country today.Rode smother and handled better than my 04 V92 but I was disappointed in the power between the old 92ci and the new 106ci.Both with Stage1 kits.My old V92 has a better pull and harder hit of power in the mid range.
Is this normal? Is the dealer lying about the CC having a stage1 kit?
What would it take to get a CR or CC to pull like my V92?
I really interested in a Cross Roads 8Ball but if it doesnt have to rip my 04 TC V92 has I may just keep the V92.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The Cross bikes (Cross Roads, Cross Country, etc) were detuned when compared to their steel-framed counterparts. Why, I have no idea. EPA regs mostly. Easy enough to fix after the fact :)

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
The Cross bikes (Cross Roads, Cross Country, etc) were detuned when compared to their steel-framed counterparts. Why, I have no idea. EPA regs mostly. Easy enough to fix after the fact :)
I did not know that...

Do you know specifically what the differences are? Cams, compresion, etc?

·
Registered
784 Posts
A new 106 is a pig in a blanket. The engine needs about 5K on it to wake up, very dramatic FWIW.
As for the Stage 1, on a X bike it is a noise upgrade. A controller will help a lot and cool it down a bit. The CC is also a couple hundred pounds heavier as well.
What is is compared to what you have I can't say. The steel frame bikes have a little different cam IIRC, they also have a better air intake but you can remedy a lot of that by removing the sound strip or putting in a Lloydz filter. It won't get to the point the steel frames can be raised to but does well for what it is.

·
13,236 Posts
CC bikes have plenty of power but you have to remember a demo bike might only have a few hundred miles on it were your bike is full broken in.
Go out and find a broken in CC and run with him I think you'll be surprised yes the CC only weighs 800 pounds and yours ways 300 pounds less

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CC bikes have plenty of power but you have to remember a demo bike might only have a few hundred miles on it were your bike is full broken in.
Go out and find a broken in CC and run with him I think you'll be surprised yes the CC only weighs 800 pounds and yours ways 300 pounds less
I know the weight dif is going to make it a bit less responsive but I still think it should have noticeable seat of the pants hit when you gas it.My V92(TC with windshield and hard bags) at 3000rpms and you hit the gas you better hold on.This CC was just smooth no power hit or anything.Any one go with the Stage2 kit on one these?
Really contemplating a CrossRoads but I dont want to give up power

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
A new 106 is a pig in a blanket. The engine needs about 5K on it to wake up, very dramatic FWIW.
As for the Stage 1, on a X bike it is a noise upgrade. A controller will help a lot and cool it down a bit. The CC is also a couple hundred pounds heavier as well.
What is is compared to what you have I can't say. The steel frame bikes have a little different cam IIRC, they also have a better air intake but you can remedy a lot of that by removing the sound strip or putting in a Lloydz filter. It won't get to the point the steel frames can be raised to but does well for what it is.
Good to know. I am just passing 1000 miles on my CCT and find a lot to like on it but power is only so-so. It gets the job done but I have no trouble hanging on. If there are simple upgrades that bring on more power without excess noise I am going to be looking at them, especially if it runs cooler too.

First thing is to go riding and get more miles. After I pass 5000 or so I'll think about changes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good to know. I am just passing 1000 miles on my CCT and find a lot to like on it but power is only so-so. It gets the job done but I have no trouble hanging on. If there are simple upgrades that bring on more power without excess noise I am going to be looking at them, especially if it runs cooler too.

First thing is to go riding and get more miles. After I pass 5000 or so I'll think about changes.
LOL, I almost got myself in trouble when the XCT was new. It wouldn't go at all, especially after what I was used to. Got a good boost at about 4800 miles IIRC and another less dramatic "settling in" at 10K.

A controller and air filter seemed to make a lot of difference in giddy up, but it is so smooth I was curious at first if a power gain was made, until I got out by myself and started playing. BTW, power wasn't the motivation of the tuner, the snow white spark plugs and pillion comfort was the goal to correct.

If you want to be thrown off the back, you got the wrong bike, or need to part with some of your hard earned cash preferably with one of the better tuners noted on this board. Remember it is a touring bike and set up for smooth running, not anything of a "muscle" type ride. The Vic Shop recently posed some numbers with a controller, tune, air filter and timing wheel on a XCT ended up with 97 hp and torque was in the 1 teens I believe. Rylan said it was a sleeper for sure. You can give it a lot, but it is still a touring machine, and that is what I bought so it suits me just fine. Very nimble and deceptively agile for what it is with excellent road manners to boot.

cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking more at the CrossRoads than the CC.And dont want to be shut down by comparable Harleys.My V92 TC has done a great job at that with just a Stage1 kit.I had the impression the 106 would have comparable power if not more.
Too bad they dont offer a 100ci with good compression as an option on the new bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
From the factory, it has milder cams and less timing advance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You are not comparing apples to apples. Your v92 weighs a lot less than the cc, and that is the reason you dont feel the power. Take a vegas, gunner or anything else out for a ride and then let us know if u feel the difference. The touring bikes have a big weight penalty, nothing u can do about that, other than mods like strokers, cams, exhaust and all the relating stuff, which will run up a pretty big bill.

If u want a hot rod, dont buy a touring bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are not comparing apples to apples. Your v92 weighs a lot less than the cc, and that is the reason you dont feel the power. Take a vegas, gunner or anything else out for a ride and then let us know if u feel the difference. The touring bikes have a big weight penalty, nothing u can do about that, other than mods like strokers, cams, exhaust and all the relating stuff, which will run up a pretty big bill.

If u want a hot rod, dont buy a touring bike.
\

You guys dont understand I have been riding dressers for over 30yrs.Heck my old Shovelhead FLH has a hard hit and pull than the new CC I rode and it weighs just as much if not more.It doesnt even compare to my buddy 08 Ultra.
What about the CrossRoad is it any better since it is a bit lighter?
Dont get me wrong I love my Victory but I hate to think I am upgrading when I am loosing throttle response for smoother ride.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just what is the dry weight of a Cross Country?
2004 V92 TC is 727 dry and 770 wet.So it is not a light bike either.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just what is the dry weight of a Cross Country?
2004 V92 TC is 727 dry and 770 wet.So it is not a light bike either.
The cc dry is 760lb and the cct is 845lb, so I little heavier but not much. Dang, I didnt realize the v92 was that heavy....

There is also a big difference in engine character between vics and yamaha and hd big twins. Vics are built to rev, so as you lay into the throttle the power builds as rpms go up. I noticed the yamaha and hd engines have massive instant tq but they dont pull any harder if u rev them. So I guess it also comes down to what you are use to and what u like. I prefer the vic engine character, because its smooth, not twitchy when I want to just cruise around but it also delivers gobs of power when I shift down and punch it. I rode a raider a while back and found that reving it was pointless cuz there wasn't really anymore power up top, I just hit the rev limiter and thought that was a pretty bland experience. I really enjoy the top end rush. But thats just me.

I suppose victory could have changed the cam in the touring bikes to give it more low end punch. It seems youre not the first person to complain about it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lost in Texas is right. After 5k my CCT seems to have picked some extra horses on it's own. It's still all stock, but I notice the difference.thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Vic claims 760 dry for the XC. Sounds like you have no need to trade.
A few things come to mind though. I have lots of close friends who ride HD's and have several thousand dollars in motor work. Cams, controllers, breathers, etc. The two I ride with the most have ultra's so comparable in size and weight. I can only run tail light to them until 3rd gear, then things change. Theirs seem to pull harder, as do the 14's off the floor (factory stage 1, so they claim) in 1st and second.
Mitch and I have traded bikes and he says mine just doesn't seem to "go", until he looks down and sees it has already gone. He hasn't ridden with me since the fuel controller went on so not sure how they compare now, but think it will be a big difference.
I wonder if the gearing and smoothness of the engine and chassis are a culprit in your feeling. I have never ridden a 92 in any form so can't really comment on them, but, it is possible they were balanced a bit better to gearing vs engine performance. Didn't realize the older Vic's were that heavy either.

Cheers

·
Registered
682 Posts
The standard v92c weighs about 634 dry. I would assume the TC would weigh a little more, given the bags, dual exhaust, windshield and so on, but damn I didn't think it would be almost 100 pounds more!

·
Registered
372 Posts

Lloyds timing wheel should be your first step. Lloyds air filter and a more open exhaust (if you still have stock exhaust) would be next. If noise is a concern the Victory Stage 1 is a nice happy medium. Gives a nice deep sound but isn't obnoxiously loud. You can find Stage 1 slip-ons for sale on the internet and then add a fuel tuner might be a better option than just adding (and paying for) the stage 1 kit from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I doubt the EPA has a thing to do with it. Both must meet their pollution regs. The touring bikes are heavier. With cams, you generally sacrifice power at one end of the spectrum for power at the other end. Having a hotter cam may make the steel frames snappy, but may not work out so well at pulling a barge full of Americans and luggage away from a stop sign.

Regardless, there are more than a few home projects the OP could engage in to get the power where he'd like it. If there is a reason not to buy a Vic, power capabilities ain't it. But if mega low end is the desired result, an Indian may be the more immediate solution.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
when I rode the demo 106 Judge (Vic stg 1 pipes) with 500 miles on it it felt doughy compared to my broken in 100 cube Vegas (Freedom Performance Slash stg 1 flash)
All Vics need the miles to break in and loosen up and start to fly.
Then with some real free breathing mods and cams it'll really honk!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts