Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inadvertently tested the Tip-Over bars on my 2010 XC yesterday!!!
Was giving a rather large lady a ride to and from a gathering of friends on Sunday, now she hadn't been on a bike in years, getting on and the trip there was okay, the cammed XC didnt even know she was on the back and once the first couple of corners were out of the way I felt her relax.
When I pulled into the drive of the property the surface was very coarse large pebbles a few inches deep and I was already committed ...stopped the bike and we got off.
Hours later in the dark, Ill add no alcohol or drugs had been consumed, we were leaving.
My mate Rob who owned the place had been showing me his worked HD Sporty engined Buell with 135hp/100tq
He saw my XC had sorta sunk into the gravel and he pulled back on the rack as I footed the bike back and around into the direction to leave...got the bike pointed ready to go and bade my passenger to mount the passenger seat.
She had already been instructed foot on left board hand on my left shoulder and swing her right leg over her backrest to the other footboard...
It all somehow went horribly wrong!!!:eek
She pulled the bike and me over to the left!:frown
The bike ended up resting on the forged tipover bar.....
Rob came over asked if the rh tipover was structural and when I replied it was he grabbed it and helped pull the bike back upright..
No damage to anything, the topovers work!:smile
Rattled us a bit though

·
Registered
295 Posts
OK I want forged bars now....

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Those forged bars are crazy tough.

·
13,263 Posts
Nice you ok and bike is fine. Check kickstand to see if its bent even where it mounts

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Gravity

We all know gravity will get the best of us sometime or another. My XR has fallen over in the gravel before, while trying to backup in the gravel. I had bought my bike new so I went ahead and ordered the police style bag guards (made in Tuscon,Az.), they were not cheap but they have saved my saddle bags from breaking a couple of times now. Glad I spent the extra money now. Still wish I would have saved a few bucks and bought a nice used one. Engine guards and bag guards are worth the extra expense. Glad nobody got hurt including the bike. PS on my last little group ride outwest I did find out the engine guards will and can touch down in the canyons, scrapped the powder coating right off.
:smile

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
802 Posts
good o that you're both ok...and the machine...8) and yup at one time or another we have all looked around to see who saw that i'm certain LOL

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bought bag guards today!

Following Sundays incident, and reading @Speedblues post, I decided to seek out some saddlebag guards,
not much chance of getting any in Oz , so I looked on US eBAY and found one used chrome l/h guard.
Made them an offer and the guy was willing to drop a little but was locked into ebays ridiculous ripoff Global Shipping (ripping) Program, so shipping was exorbitant and bottom line I'd then have to copy it in reverse to fabricate the other side.
So I then saw some chinese copies (or maybe thats where they were made anyway)
As the ones in US were asking $628 Aust plus $19.99 postage I offered them $300 (never know):nerd
they replied theyd drop a measly five bucks.....naaaaaaa!
ok chinese ones$458 Aust Free shipping.....offered em $250 ( cheapskate hey!...gotta have a go!)
they replied theyd drop $25....so I thought for 5 mins, Sundays incident flashed through my mind and also watching the police carpark roundy roundys on youtube.....hmmmmmm YEAH OK!...Got me!
Hit the blue button ACCEPT OFFER....then when I go to pay theres $45 customs tax!
Anyway theyre coming, theyre black not chrome, my XCs black anyway so no drama
Any my bags will be protected.
Obviously this Cross Country is a keeper, got her for the right dollar and spent a few more on cams intake and my own exhaust job worked fantasic, shes all dynotuned up, got the Madstad adjustable windscreen.
Got myself a remoivable riders backrest as well as the passenger backrest that came with the bike and Ive added a back rack, nice Iso Grips, got decent oil in the engine, probably more stuff Ive forgotten.
Ya know when I rode over to Burleigh Bars to show my mate who first encouraged me to buy a Vic when I was looking for a Hogly Davidson...He bought the first Vic sold in our state is now on his third, a black XC not unlike mine but newer.
He nearly had kittens when I told him what I paid for my XC, and he also reckoned that now I wouldnt be riding my Vegas much...I disagreed at the time.....But you know what?...he was right!
Its a bloody amazing machine and now its got some balls with addition of cams etc. well its just magic!
So Perfection gets better by the day.
Ill sort the cruise hopefully, and one way or another get the music vibes happening then come summer Im flying south on it...Tasmania, Great Ocean Road, and wherever that front wheel takes me!

Did jump back on the Vegas for an hour today and the difference in steering is amazing, Vegas is so light!
almost falls into turns...felt a bit wierd...must be used to the XC...or maybe steering head bearings on the Vegas need a tighten...

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,769 Posts
Curious how the Chinese knockoffs hold up. I've already seen people selling the knock off saber lights because the plug doesn't fit the Victory plug.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious how the Chinese knockoffs hold up. I've already seen people selling the knock off saber lights because the plug doesn't fit the Victory plug.
Yeah thats correct but a bit of Aussie ingenuity soon rectifies the sabretooth problem.
just gotta look at the fit and work out how to modify the plug slightly to fit it.
I fit car and bike parts all the time and sometimes they dont go together as threyre supposed to.
Thats where skill and experience comes in.
I too coulda sent the lights back but chose to spent 2 minutes removing a small piece of plastic to make em fit.
Hopefully the bag savers work out, Ill let you know, if they dont.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Okay, a little late here, etc. FWIW now, one of things I tell newbie passengers is to try to put their weight STRAIGHT DOWN on that left peg/floorboard when getting on, as opposed to pulling the bike toward them when putting that left foot down. This way, the bike is supporting their on-coming weight, as opposed to a kickstand or a rider's left leg.

Not trying to be a smartass here -- I really tell newbies that. That, and to grab my shoulders -- I always sit on the bike first -- when getting on, but after that no more shoulder grabbing, as I need use of my arms and shoulders to steer. And "be the bike" in cornering -- no trying to sit upright when the bike's leaned over.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, a little late here, etc. FWIW now, one of things I tell newbie passengers is to try to put their weight STRAIGHT DOWN on that left peg/floorboard when getting on, as opposed to pulling the bike toward them when putting that left foot down. This way, the bike is supporting their on-coming weight, as opposed to a kickstand or a rider's left leg.

Not trying to be a smartass here -- I really tell newbies that. That, and to grab my shoulders -- I always sit on the bike first -- when getting on, but after that no more shoulder grabbing, as I need use of my arms and shoulders to steer. And "be the bike" in cornering -- no trying to sit upright when the bike's leaned over.
Thanks for the tips (pun not intended:smile)...Ill remember the mounting tips, specially with the larger ladies, she really caught me unawares.:eek
In all my years of riding Ive never had passenger problems, well only a couple to tell the truth.
one friend who was so terrified he fought the bike on turns, ..Never again!
and about 25 years ago I had a drunk mate fall off the back off my XS65O when I dumped the clutch on a wooden bridge expecting it to wheelspin....it bit and he flew off the back...and he didnt spill a drop of his beer!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Never really thought about how to mount a passenger. I'll have to remember that about stepping up and not pulling the bike. It makes perfect sense and I can see how someone would just grab and try to pull themselves.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Downward-Force Passenger Mounting

@Motorbikerx, @IndyVictory, et al.: for those who can spare a minute and a half, here's a really nice video, made 10 years ago by a friend of mine and his wife in VA. It's with a scooter (when he and I owned the exact same model and year), but the principles -- that step down, don't pull -- are the same:

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never really thought about how to mount a passenger. I'll have to remember that about stepping up and not pulling the bike. It makes perfect sense and I can see how someone would just grab and try to pull themselves.
oh mate I had no worries mounting the passenger!...done that several times, problem was when she was getting on my bike after:devil:devil

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine saved me at a stop. Slipped in some gravel. The curvature of the intersection was a little steep and without the bars my bike would have smashed flat down on the right and then some. Also appreciate the foot protection.
[/IMG]
HD and Indian really need to make this an option on these touring models. You have to go FULL IDIOT not to solve this problem.!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The bars are great. I see people selling them online because they don't like the look of the rear bars. I've had my CCT tipped 4 times I think. No biggie and zero damage because of those bars. Not work so well in gravel but no bars do. That one member here that rolls the bike over to fix flats. Good enough reason to keep the bars.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bars are great. I see people selling them online because they don't like the look of the rear bars. I've had my CCT tipped 4 times I think. No biggie and zero damage because of those bars. Not work so well in gravel but no bars do. That one member here that rolls the bike over to fix flats. Good enough reason to keep the bars.
no used bars on ebay when I looked....well except that lone l/h side chrome bat.
I tried to get used and couldnt.
You mean @ObiSteve fixing his flats.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Glad you're okay. How large was the lady? Pics? :angel

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Ive told you the Sabre lights are fittable with a small mod to the plug, ya gotta cut the locating pin off with a hobby knife so the plug goes together...dont need to be Einstein to work that out.
Saddlebag protectors arrived here in 6 days!
wasnt expecting them for weeks from China.
got a card in the mail that I had a parcel at the post office so rode the XC there and theres a huge box so I try to stap it on the rack with one occy strap errrr not gonna work!
a lady comes outta the post office and comments on my obvious predicament....
I ask her if shes going anywhere near the service station, she says yes she has to fuel her campervan up.
Hey could you take this box there for me please? My factory is just behind there..
How heavy is it ? she says
Ill carry it to your camper I say, and a short walk later my $480 racks are in a strangers vehicle and Im walking back to my bike.
People outside post office that observed commented she may drive off with my box!
This is Currumbin not Kirra I reply?
and I ride home park the bike and slip into the servo where shes filling up with diesel.
I get my box , thank her and give her my business card, then I go put the box in my shed and grab her one of the medium size T shirts that I sell on ebay and markets and give it to her.. as well as offering her a motorcycle ride next time shes in the area ( nice woman too)?
ok so cant wait to fit em .
open box, thryre flat black and I momentatily consider getting them powder coated gloss but can the idea cos Im impatient and also wanna ensure they fit.
I take off the bags and the bolts securing the rear of the exhausts plus the hex allen bolt seduring the saddlebag mouning rack.
trial fit loose and its obvious a litte adjustment is needed!
I go get my club hammer and flip the bars over and place my foot in it and belt the middle mounting flange a few times till it looks like lining up.
Then I go get some flat washers and some longer bolts for the mufflers and get my blue loctite
fitting all the bolts loose is the trick and tighterning them in stages, till theyre firm firm by hand,. tight but not stripped!
No idea how many inch pounds theres no instructions Muffler bolts are tight tight as are the others....be careful of the front bag bracket allen bolt as it goes into the alloy frame in will strip it easy , it aint got a lot of purchase with a washer as well si I left that off
So yeah a but if Aussie ingenuity is needed to get em fitted. .
then the best part ..The Test Ride!!!?
oh yeah and I put a bolt n nut through the hole in the bottom pic to slow someone down from stealing my passenger backrest and rack

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts