Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jsut did a fork seal replacement on my 03 vegas. How do I test them to ensuure they have enough oil and are performing correctly.

They already feel alot better then before I change the oil and for seals, but I just want to be sure since I often ride in a pack of 10-40 bikes on a regular basis and don't want a fail.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody got a response?

·
Registered
403 Posts
No way to test them except to put them on the bike. Did you follow the instructions in the manual in regards to oil level and reassembly process (you: "yes") - then you're good to go!
If "no" then why the hell not?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, there are very specific instruction in the manual on how to replace the fork oil, how much to use, and what the measurement should be when done. Follow the instructions and you should be OK. After that the test is to go for a ride.

·
Registered
442 Posts
it should be obvious if something is wrong, but an easy way to test if you have lost oil (other than the tell tale puddle) is to brake moderately hard in a safe area and see if the front end dives a lot more than usual. If your forks have lost a lot of oil, the dive should be noticeably greater, if not dramatically.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yea I followed the manual. They seem alot better but I am still getting some weeping or leaking which ever you want to call it. I got a 100 miles on the new seals. Starting to get worried that they didnt seal correctly or even though I did the required measurement it may have been too much oil. Opinions?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not good. Chances are whatever caused the old seals to leak is now causing the new ones to leak.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an 03 Vegas I bought it 3 years ago with 4,000 (not a typo)and there had never been a fork oil change on it till now when I replaced the seals because just 1 was leaking. I have 16,500 on it now. The one seal was just worn out and the other wasn't far behind it. That was the reason for the change. I can only guess I didnt get them in there correctly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ROFL!!! It helps if the seals aren't in upside down. Took it to my local dealership and they had it fixed in 25 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts