Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I made the leap and bought our tickets to Thailand Dec 28th –Jan 13th. Our plan is to hangout in Bangkok the first 2 or 3 days and the last 2 or 3 days of the trip, outside of that we are open to exploring the country, we would even go check out the other countries around Thailand if it won’t take up too much time. We know the beaches are a must so we were thinking of doing that the later part of the trip. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The wife and I made the leap and bought our tickets to Thailand Dec 28th –Jan 13th. Our plan is to hangout in Bangkok the first 2 or 3 days and the last 2 or 3 days of the trip, outside of that we are open to exploring the country, we would even go check out the other countries around Thailand if it won’t take up too much time. We know the beaches are a must so we were thinking of doing that the later part of the trip. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
My niece and her hubby have been living there almost 2 years now. He got sick eating the street food, but musta figured out what's edible as I haven't heard about many incidents lately. He is a lot skinnier now then when he left though...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Anywhere on the planet can be dangerous... When is the last time you heard of a crazy gun man entering a school in Thailand? Travelling is about being smart and taking note of your surroundings. If you find yourself in a dangerous looking place probably a good idea to smoothly and quietly exit. Don't look like a tourist is another good idea... If you look like the Griswalds on Vegas vacation good chance you will run into problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anywhere on the planet can be dangerous... When is the last time you heard of a crazy gun man entering a school in Thailand? Travelling is about being smart and taking note of your surroundings. If you find yourself in a dangerous looking place probably a good idea to smoothly and quietly exit. Don't look like a tourist is another good idea... If you look like the Griswalds on Vegas vacation good chance you will run into problems.

I usually take anywhere from 3-5 trips abroad every year so I know how to conduct myself but some countries and cities abroad are more unsafe than others, I highly doubt your act cool and nothing happens attitude would suit you in Mexico City or Tijuana

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Thailand is one of the least dangerous places I have visited. I have felt way less safe in Las Vegas (off the strip) than I ever did in Thailand. Vietnam and Cambodia are absolutely amazing as well. I have been all over Mexico and once into Belize and have placed myself in some less than desirable situations. I have found the calm, cool factor usually gets me out safely. The beauty about Thailand is that at 185lbs and 5'9" I am a monster... I am not sure if your into fitness or not but they absolutely love tattoos and muscle. I am a smaller dude in most gyms in North America but In Asia every guy wants to work out me... Lol it is really great for the ego. The food is absolutely incredible once you know what to eat. The first few days where rough trying to figure out what is appealing to your taste buds though. If you go be sure to try Sansung Whiskey and Red Bull... It's a helluva buzz.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone know if I will need to get immunization Shot's?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
You have probably been hearing the reports of the protests here in Thailand. I just felt I should say that as a tourist you shouldn't worry about it at all. The protests are downtown in the parliament areas and not around the typical tourist places. Outside of Bangkok there isn’t much going on in the way of protests.

I have been travelling into Bangkok almost daily and I haven’t seen a single protestor. My daughter works at one of the bigger department stores and she was sent home early on one day but has been back to work every day since then.

If you have booked a hotel in Bangkok I would give them a call and ask if the protests are having an effect on the hotel or the traffic around it. If you want, let me know where you are staying while you are in Bangkok and I can let you know if the protests are anywhere near it.

Enjoy your stay here!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Rent a Motorcycle and Ride Down to Phucket .. Not pronounced the way it looks .. :) Is beautiful and some good riding down that way .. Wish I could afford to do it again ..

·
13,177 Posts
renting a bike over there is dangerous. You drive on the wrong side of the road and they drive crazy.
Get a cab and see whats going on. All kinds of shops. You can get a embroidered victory jacket cheap over there so take a victory logo with you. Go to the food market and there are a hundred bugs you can eat that are taste. Police control every thing and there the ones you pay off if you get in trouble.
Ask around you can get good deals on trading in your USA dollars

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you need a nice suit you can get one taylored in two days! Also thai massage is great, it's a mixture of yoga and massage. If you like very spicey food you got it made, if not be carefull.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
No need to get any shots... Some people say you should never travel without Twinrex hepatitis shot. I call bullshit it's just Big Pharma selling you some ****. The only thing I suggest you do as a must is rent a bike and head off the beaten path a bit.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Had a great time at Pataya Beach when my Navy ship stopped there in 81'. Good looking people too.

An Englishman, a Scotsman, an Irishman, a Welshman, a Latvian, a Turk, a German, an Indian, several Americans (including a Hawaiian and an Alaskan), an Argentinean, a Dane, an Australian, a Slovak, an Egyptian, a Japanese, a Moroccan, a Frenchman, a New Zealander, a Spaniard, a Russian, a Guatemalan, a Colombian, a Pakistani, a Malaysian, a Croatian, a Uzbek, a Cypriot, a Pole, a Lithuanian, a Chinese, a Sri Lankan, a Lebanese, a Cayman Islander, a Ugandan, a Vietnamese, a Korean, a Uruguayan, a Czech, an Icelander, a Mexican, a Finn, a Honduran, a Panamanian, an Andorran, an Israeli, a Venezuelan, an Iranian, a Fijian, a Peruvian, an Estonian, a Syrian, a Brazilian, a Portuguese, a Liechtensteiner, a Mongolian, a Hungarian, a Canadian, a Moldovan, a Haitian, a Norfolk Islander, a Macedonian, a Bolivian, a Cook Islander, a Tajikistani, a Samoan, an Armenian, an Aruban, an Albanian, a Greenlander, a Micronesian, a Virgin Islander, a Georgian, a Bahaman, a Belarusian, a Cuban, a Tongan, a Cambodian, a Canadian, a Qatari, an Azerbaijani, a Romanian, a Chilean, a Jamaican, a Filipino, a Ukrainian, a Dutchman, a Ecuadorian, a Costa Rican, a Swede, a Bulgarian, a Serb, a Swiss, a Greek, a Belgian, a Singaporean, an Italian, a Norwegian and 2 Africans,

... Walk into a fine restaurant.

"I'm sorry," says the maître d', after scrutinizing the group.

"You can't come in here without a Thai

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that have been to Thailand do you think it's a good idea to bring old close, where them than toss them and buy new stuff being it's so cheap?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thumb up I'm bringing both just in case...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
So how was the trip?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts