Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In early June a friend and I met in Utah, rode through Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, down through Idaho via Salmon, Stanley, down through Boise, up to McCall and on to Lewiston. Outside of Lewiston we were on Hwy 12 when we saw the dreaded road construction sign. By the time we could digest the stated dates of said construction, it was too late. We were trapped on a 2 lane highway with no reasonable escape. This went on for what seemed like 10 miles of piled up loose gravel, traffic in both directions, trying to steer to the areas where car tracks had thinned the mounds of gravel. Towards the end, like the last half mile or so, the gravel became fresh tar, soft and gooey mixed with rock chips. They grabbed on to our wheels like a snowball rolling downhill and rattled around in the fenders until they found our belts and sprockets causing $1000 damage to each bike. I called Idaho DOT, who said I had to pursue a claim with the contractor, Knife River Const. They passed it off to Liberty Mutual Insurance, Where it seems to have hit a dead end. I can't afford to add $1000 to every trip I take, so is it unreasonable for me to think that our bikes shouldn't subjected to that? Anyone know how to get someone to take notice of our claim?

The chip seal projects in our state block off the lane being worked on and only open it after it's been rolled and swept. Idaho apparently feels it's acceptable to let the vehicle traffic serve as the heavy equipment. Our dealer that did the repairs said gravel was everywhere.... fenders, discs, primary belt cover. He said he had enough gravel to open a gravel pit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Unfortunately it's construction season up here and it's one of those things we have to deal with. I'm not sayin' it's right, it's just one of those things and I understand why you'd be pissed. Stay after the insurance company and DON'T go away. If they continue to blow you off you might investigate filing a small claims suit, it will be much less expensive to pay you the 1k than defending the suit in court.

A couple of years ago the wife and I were heading to Chico Hot Springs near Livingston MT and decided to cut through the park (Yellowstone) on the way up. Of course they were doing road construction and laying down chip seal. The problem was that they were spraying the "tac" down before they layed the chips and the construction company had us riding on the fresh oil. It was like riding on ice!! After four miles of sliding all over the place we finally got out of it covered in the goo but still somewhat shiny side up. There wasn't any damage but I wonder how many bikes went down in that crap and who's bright idea it was to allow traffic to drive over the stuff.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As a matter of fact, we DO let traffic serve as heavy equipment. Rarely, however, does anyone experience issues as severe as yours. I've ridden and driven through many thousands of miles of loose chip seal without issue. It's certainly no fun, but if you take a road trip through Idaho in summer and it's more than 150 miles, you're gonna hit construction.

A few years back (probably closer to 10 years now), a paving company half-assed a long stretch of US 93 north of Twin Falls and it resulted in tens of thousands of dollars in claims from the same kind of damage you described. Like Joe said, you stay after that insurance company. They'll brush you off if they think they can. See if you can get YOUR insurance company after them perhaps.

My worst experience was on US95 south of Grangeville, riding through that pass (OP, you likely rode it too if you headed north out of McCall). They were redoing the whole highway and the wife and I had to ride through loose, sloppy gravel for about 9 miles. Pretty horrible.

ITD seems to subcontract quite a lot of its highway projects. I don't know why. I routinely curse them myself. But it's all worth it in the end. Idaho is a pretty awesome place for motorcycling. MOST of the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that Idaho is awesome for riding. That stretch of hwy 21 from Lowman to Beaver Creek has got to be one of the best anywhere.

I, too have ridden through many miles of road construction without incident, but it was late afternoon and I think the crew was hurrying up the process and throwing down excessive material. My boots had a layer of rocks stuck to them that I had to scrape off on the side of my floorboard in order to set my feet down. They had us following the dump truck that was putting the gunk down. No setup time, just right through the wet stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Best bet, turn it in to your insurance. They will pursue the companies insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Best bet, turn it in to your insurance. They will pursue the companies insurance.
+1 on the above. Plus also contact your local ABATE chapter as they may have some additional information on who to contact. If you don't belong to ABATE, please consider joining to help others help people just like you.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree that Idaho is awesome for riding. That stretch of hwy 21 from Lowman to Beaver Creek has got to be one of the best anywhere.

I, too have ridden through many miles of road construction without incident, but it was late afternoon and I think the crew was hurrying up the process and throwing down excessive material. My boots had a layer of rocks stuck to them that I had to scrape off on the side of my floorboard in order to set my feet down. They had us following the dump truck that was putting the gunk down. No setup time, just right through the wet stuff.
That sucks. They should not have had you right behind the truck. I don't like following a dump truck when they are hauling, much less dumping.
Keep an eye on your boot bottoms. I had the oil eat holes in my boots years ago. They were disposing of toxic waste by mixing it in the oil. I think that are still doing this practice today.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've enjoyed ID Hwy 21 a number of times. Great bit of road, altho it can get a little iffy just south of Lowman, road-condition wise. Beautiful views though!

I've never had that pleasure myself. It's not the first time I've heard of it, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Much of how ITD handles road construction seems to involve making it last as long as possible. They've been screwing around and "improving" the US93/I-84 interchange for 10 years. They frequently will repave a road, leave it unpainted for a week, then paint new lines and leave those for a week before chipsealing it which forces them to paint the road AGAIN. The paving companies they hire are frequently sloppy and the state agency doesn't seem to be much better. I only have 2 gripes living in ID: the way road construction is handled, and the fact I gotta get to the liquor store before 7 PM (6 on Sunday) if I want something other than beer.

AZ is the only other state I've spent significant time in, and ADOT runs like a fast, well-oiled machine. Some locals might disagree, but I find the highways here to be in very nice condition and even major construction projects seem to be completed very rapidly.

Luciferiad

Is there a web site that tells where in Idaho they are doing road construction?

In Oregon we have Tripcheck.
I've used tripcheck! In ID we have 511.idaho.gov

I've found it to be reasonably accurate. Course, it won't tell you whether the paving subcontractor sucks or not :ltr:

·
Registered
4 Posts
MTSIVIEW

IT IS HIGHLY UNUSUAL FOR LIBERTY MUTUAL TO DISREGARD, HIDE OR DELAY THE PROCESSING OF A CLAIM. LIBERTY IS KNOWN FOR IT'S PROMPT RESPONSE IN ISSUES SUCH AS THIS.

PERHAPS THE DELAY IS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT LIBERTY MUTUAL CLAIMS ASAP. SPEAK WITH THE CLAIMS MANAGER AND EXPLAIN YOUR SITUATION. YOU WILL LIKELY RECEIVE THE TIMELY RESPONSE LIBERTY IS KNOWN FOR.

THE RESPONSE MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU ARE SEEKING, BUT DISREGARD, HIDE AND DELAY ARE NOT IN THEIR SOP.

REGARDS,
CaptC

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yea I agree that Liberty Mutual is one of the better ones to deal with in commercial claims services.

However... YOUR bike insurance company should be taking care of the damages #1 and then they will subrogate to whoever they feel is responsible and can do a much better job of collecting "their dough"!....

let them deal with it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
However... YOUR bike insurance company should be taking care of the damages #1 and then they will subrogate to whoever they feel is responsible and can do a much better job of collecting "their dough"!....

let them deal with it.
If he carries comprehensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll admit I'm naïve when it comes to insurance claims. I've only dealt with insurance once in 46 yrs of driving, and that was with the other guys' insurance. ( A taxi backed into my parked car)

I did contact LM again and they responded back with a positive note. If it doesn't go forward I will let my ins. handle it. I just thought that if it was someone elses' fault, their insurance should handle it.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Sorry about your choice on when and where to ride. Was it your choice? Are we not responsible for anything. I'm sorry but unless I'm missing something I think you are responsible . I will stop now before I tell you what I really think.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sorry about your choice on when and where to ride. Was it your choice? Are we not responsible for anything. I'm sorry but unless I'm missing something I think you are responsible . I will stop now before I tell you what I really think.
WOW ?:confused:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'll admit I'm naïve when it comes to insurance claims. I've only dealt with insurance once in 46 yrs of driving, and that was with the other guys' insurance. ( A taxi backed into my parked car)

I did contact LM again and they responded back with a positive note. If it doesn't go forward I will let my ins. handle it. I just thought that if it was someone elses' fault, their insurance should handle it.
I'm glad to hear that things seem to be moving along. Don't let it put you off on Idaho. I wish the highway department did things a bit differently too, but there are so many truly beautiful and unique places to ride, I'd take my chances any time.

:confused: Really? Sure, yeah, scrub the whole trip because of a patch of road construction. I'm not sure how close the OP was to Lewiston, but there aren't a lot of options for alternate routes that don't involve many, many miles of backtracking. Should be able to at least count on the paving company making a halfhearted effort to avoid damage and unsafe conditions for the traffic on the highway.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I'm not saying there's not enough blame to go around . And I have made plenty of poor choices and sometimes there are no good choices. I wasn't there but you have to play with the cards your dealt. No disrespect intended. Hope the next trip works out better.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am building a home in the country so I have very few choices about what road to take to reach it. It is more or less a take it or leave it situation. Yesterday I rode there on a fairly good paved roadway. When I started home I found out that I had 2.6 miles of new chip and seal to ride on. The stuff isn't bad after it has been down for few weeks but when they first put it down there is some kind of tarry stuff with a layer of ball bearing sized pea gravel on top that is a thick enough layer to act like a 1/4 inch thick uniform sand cover. I rode over it very slowly and only had the rear wheel scoot out from under me feeling like a flat rear tire a few times. If not for the pea gravel I would have been swimming in the moist tarry stuff and would have probably lost control at my cautious 25 MPH while spraying that sh!t all over the bike. Anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation really has no choice. You either ride it out or stop on the side of the road for a week or two.
1 Brunel, that is like blaming someone for participating in a traffic jam. Once you are caught you know all about it but until then you are just out driving. On most roads I have been on in Idaho you either follow them or find some place to turn around and go the other way. There usually is no other road to get where you are going..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts