Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some trial and error I am happy to report that I have resolved the head buffeting issue I was experiencing on my XR thanks to Cee Baileys. I installed Cee Baileys 23" windshield with the built in lowers and that combined with my Arlen Ness fork mounted lowers has completely resolved any head buffeting. I took the bike out on the highway over the last couple days at speeds up to 90 mph and had none of the head buffeting that I experienced previously with the Victory mid height windshield. Now I'm ready for my extended weekend trip to the Ozarks.

I believe that the Victory windshield has a flawed design in that the lower part of the shield has a cutout which allows bad air to shoot up from the forks past the tank and up to the riders head. Cee Baileys shield with the built in lowers removes that cutout completely and allows a calm pocket of air between the forks, tank and rider. It's a great design and the quality is top notch. I had a horrible experience with another windshield vendor and was very happy to find that Cee Baileys provides a quality product as advertised.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It may improve the buffeting but IMO all windshields are ugly and the CB one is even worse. I just got back from a 2 day 500 mile quick trip down to Deals Gap with a lot of interstate doing 80mph on average and did just fine with my short Vic windshield (I am 6' tall). I have more of a noise problem then a buffeting problem with my full face helmet that forced me to wear ear plugs for most of the trip.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
After some trial and error I am happy to report that I have resolved the head buffeting issue
Thanks for the report.

I prefer to look over windshields than thru them, but I've come to the conclusion that Irv's had it right all along...just find the biggest barn door that will bolt on and be done with it.

I see that Cee Bailey sells some "Rain-X" type product for their plastic shields, so I'm assuming that with proper attention, getting caught in the rain won't become a blinding experience.

You want to talk ugly, my current windscreen looks like the bride of Frankenstein. I've cut holes on it, changed the angle, glued soap dishes to it, and finally added a Laminar Lip designed for a Kingpin (but fits well enough to the XR) on mine. Mine actually works pretty well now, though oddly it works better at 70+ mph than it does at 50-60 mph.

I'll probably keep my monstrosity for the summer months, but my next move will either be to get the Vic or the Cee Bailey tall screen for the cooler months.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
im glad we are all finding ways to be more comfotable on the road.
i also wear a 3/4 helmet all the time. even with a 1-1/2 lower height
on the newest one, the air still goes over the top of it. someday
i might have to try some partial closeouts on the bars, but its
pretty much of a non issue.
as a little off topic what are the 2 tapped holes on the inside of
the forged bars for?--irv

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may improve the buffeting but IMO all windshields are ugly and the CB one is even worse. I just got back from a 2 day 500 mile quick trip down to Deals Gap with a lot of interstate doing 80mph on average and did just fine with my short Vic windshield (I am 6' tall). I have more of a noise problem then a buffeting problem with my full face helmet that forced me to wear ear plugs for most of the trip.
I'm more about function than form when it comes to windshields. If your short shield works for you that's great. Unfortunately, the mid rider shield wasn't going to cut it for me on long hauls. I have a 1000+ mile trip planned and needed to be comfortable on the highway and this barn door shield does the trick. I keep it of anyway when I'm just cruising around town.

Thanks for the report.

I prefer to look over windshields than thru them, but I've come to the conclusion that Irv's had it right all along...just find the biggest barn door that will bolt on and be done with it.

I see that Cee Bailey sells some "Rain-X" type product for their plastic shields, so I'm assuming that with proper attention, getting caught in the rain won't become a blinding experience.

You want to talk ugly, my current windscreen looks like the bride of Frankenstein. I've cut holes on it, changed the angle, glued soap dishes to it, and finally added a Laminar Lip designed for a Kingpin (but fits well enough to the XR) on mine. Mine actually works pretty well now, though oddly it works better at 70+ mph than it does at 50-60 mph.

I'll probably keep my monstrosity for the summer months, but my next move will either be to get the Vic or the Cee Bailey tall screen for the cooler months.
Yup, the barn door concept seems to work well. I find that looking through the shield works better for me as far as head buffeting goes. If I sit completely upright I can still see just above this shield if needed. I'm not one for soldiering on during a heavy downpour anyway.

im glad we are all finding ways to be more comfotable on the road.
i also wear a 3/4 helmet all the time. even with a 1-1/2 lower height
on the newest one, the air still goes over the top of it. someday
i might have to try some partial closeouts on the bars, but its
pretty much of a non issue.
as a little off topic what are the 2 tapped holes on the inside of
the forged bars for?--irv
Which forged bars are you referring to? The pic I posted above from Cee Baileys shows tubular bars with a standard Vic replacement shield that also has the fork mounted lowers added. The second shield pictured is the one I got with the built in lowers.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
so, you just order the plexi from them and mount it using the hardware on your factory windshield? Cuz i'd be down with that. Seems like you end up paying an awful lot for the chrome on a windshield kit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, you just order the plexi from them and mount it using the hardware on your factory windshield? Cuz i'd be down with that. Seems like you end up paying an awful lot for the chrome on a windshield kit.
Yup, they just provide the replacement windshield and you mount it on your stock Victory hardware. Everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yup, they just provide the replacement windshield and you mount it on your stock Victory hardware. Everything lined up perfectly.
I agree. I have a Cee Bailey with extended lowers. Cost was excellent, install was very easy as everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Have any of you all tried running a shorter windshield to see if it helps. I would love to take a spin on a XR with the bigger shield and/or lowers to see how better the ride would be but I am thinking that maybe my shorty windshield may be cutting some of the buffeting air thus reducing it but who knows. My short vic shield hits me at chin level and the air coming over it hits me right above the forehead at the top of my helmet. This works alright for me but the better half did not like the wind doing 80 down the interstate for 3 hours the other day so I may look into getting a taller shield with lowers from CB and try it out even though I dislike the looks of them. Just switch them out for any extended trips down the superslab.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Have any of you all tried running a shorter windshield to see if it helps. I would love to take a spin on a XR with the bigger shield and/or lowers to see how better the ride would be but I am thinking that maybe my shorty windshield may be cutting some of the buffeting air thus reducing it but who knows.
I think your probably correct. A lot of the air that causes all the head shaking emanates from below the tank. In a reasonably still pocket this air tries to shake the grey matter out your ears. With the smaller screen, you likely neutralize it to some extent by pushing it back with wind coming over the top of the screen.

As you've stated, the problem with the short screen is noise. I have an FJR with an electrically adjustable windscreen. In its lowest position, the noise drives me absolutely nuts. Good modern helmets are designed to be very aerodynamic and quiet in a laminar flow environment that is created while riding in the absence windscreen. Create some funny trajectory of the wind with a shield of some type and all bets are off.

Yannow it's just one of them things. If a person had never experienced anything better, they'd prolly get used to a shitty screen or no screen soon enough. It's the "knowing" of how good it could and should work that drives me bananas. Especially since I haven't been able to resolve it satisfactorily.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just ordered a cee baileys original design and ordered it 16" high, which would be shorter than the oem short windshield. When it gets here, i wiill test the theory if a shorter shield helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered a cee baileys original design and ordered it 16" high, which would be shorter than the oem short windshield. When it gets here, i wiill test the theory if a shorter shield helps.
I sincerely hope your test goes better than the ones I've conducted over the years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I still believe that the issue with buffeting has to do with the distance of the fairing / windshield from the rider more than anything else.

I have tried the standard, victory tall and the shortest windshield Cee Baileys offers on my XR and as far as buffeting was concerned, there was little difference. I currently run the Vic fairing and still get buffeting.

That front end is way out there compared to many other bikes and what would be swirling up behind you or getting pushed under the bike is now being pushed right in the face of many riders

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still believe that the issue with buffeting has to do with the distance of the fairing / windshield from the rider more than anything else.

I have tried the standard, victory tall and the shortest windshield Cee Baileys offers on my XR and as far as buffeting was concerned, there was little difference. I currently run the Vic fairing and still get buffeting.

That front end is way out there compared to many other bikes and what would be swirling up behind you or getting pushed under the bike is now being pushed right in the face of many riders
With my current set up (Cee Baileys 23" shield with built in lowers and Arlen Ness fork mounted lowers) I can sit forward, back or in between and I get no significant buffeting in any of those positions. In normal riding conditions up to 80 MPH there is no turbulent air coming up by my face or head. I've virtually eliminated the head buffeting issue that existed previously. That being said, what works for me may not work for someone else that is taller or shorter, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I sincerely hope your test goes better than the ones I've conducted over the years.
Ill try it first without the lowers on, if i get the buffeting, ill just put the lowers on. I ride without the shield most of the time anyway

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
As you've stated, the problem with the short screen is noise. I have an FJR with an electrically adjustable windscreen. In its lowest position, the noise drives me absolutely nuts. Good modern helmets are designed to be very aerodynamic and quiet in a laminar flow environment that is created while riding in the absence windscreen. Create some funny trajectory of the wind with a shield of some type and all bets are off.
The noise is a PITA. I am used to some buffeting and really it does not bother me much. When I test rode the XC that was the worst buffeting I had ever experienced on any motorcycle. I literally could not ride above 65 mph because it shook my eye glasses so much I could not see. The wind hitting my helmet above the forehead is where the noise is coming from. I can put my hand on that spot and the noise is almost gone. Speaking of your FJR, one of my buddies rides one and I met him in Boone the other day and we rode hwy 421 back to my house with me in the lead. He of course has a much faster and better handling bike and is a better rider than myself but I took the lead anyway. I rode my XR harder than I ever had and he said he was very impressed with the take off the bike had and how well I was able to tackle the twisties with it. I also had my first scrape, it was on the front metal part at the battery. Kind of strange I scraped that before anything else but I did have my pressure up pretty high in the back shock.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
When I test rode the XC that was the worst buffeting I had ever experienced on any motorcycle. I literally could not ride above 65 mph because it shook my eye glasses so much I could not see.
You need to try an XCT. I was a little skeptical at first and was not crazy about looking through its windscreen, but that took about 20 seconds to get used to. It had the vents in its lowers opened and the winglets directing air into the cockpit and I'm tellin you that thing was a joy to ride. Not sure I've ever ridden anything with such good air management. The only noise came from the stereo and the wind never even considered shaking me about the neck.

Speaking of your FJR, one of my buddies rides one and I met him in Boone the other day and we rode hwy 421 back to my house with me in the lead. He of course has a much faster and better handling bike and is a better rider than myself but I took the lead anyway. I rode my XR harder than I ever had and he said he was very impressed with the take off the bike had and how well I was able to tackle the twisties with it.
I agree with your buddy. I think the XR actually handles better and is easier to ride. The FJR is still a little more capable once the footpegs are ground down, especially since it's easier to hop off the seat to the inside for the corners.

The FJR is a fine bike, but I so prefer the engine character of the XR. I've always liked the twin and triples much more than inline 4s. Basically, the only feature that my modified FJR has that I wish my XR had was better wind management. I'd sell the FJR, but I've put so much money into making it right that I'd take a beating and I'm a cheapskate. Nice thing about the Vics is that they come proper right outta the gate. Only reason to diddle with them is get a chance to lighten our wallets.

I also had my first scrape, it was on the front metal part at the battery. Kind of strange I scraped that before anything else but I did have my pressure up pretty high in the back shock.
Could be the angle, but I'd bet on a road irregularity. Probably better that you weren't surfing the floorboards as what was a scrape might have been a jolt that knocked you off your line.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I think it was probably the road angle as well. I has also just came back from an overnight trip with the wife down to the Dragon since she had never been and had my shock at 65lbs since we had the bags weighed down and I wanted some extra ground clearance and never set it back to my usual 40 lbs that I keep it at (for solo and 2-up). I have been debating what fuel management/air filter to get for months now but I am now starting to wonder if really need any of that stuff. After having a sport bike play catch up with me I am thinking I might just save my nickel and dimes for more bike trips instead!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ill try it first without the lowers on, if i get the buffeting, ill just put the lowers on. I ride without the shield most of the time anyway
Got my Cee Bailey's 16" inch original shield. For me, the buffeting is not as bad as the stock mid height shield, but it is there. Will try it with the lowers installed tomorrow. However, I like the look of the really short windshieldcheerscheers

·
Registered
336 Posts
With my current set up (Cee Baileys 23" shield with built in lowers and Arlen Ness fork mounted lowers) I can sit forward, back or in between and I get no significant buffeting in any of those positions. In normal riding conditions up to 80 MPH there is no turbulent air coming up by my face or head. I've virtually eliminated the head buffeting issue that existed previously. That being said, what works for me may not work for someone else that is taller or shorter, etc.
I hope you don't have any buffeting, you are pushing a small house in front of your bike. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts