Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only bike I've ever owned that I have to clean the bugs off BOTH sides of the shield. Seems they get directed to the inside by that "vent" and "deflector" and get mashed against the inside.

Has anyone designed / produced a "grille" for that hole that will stop the bugs from getting through?

·
13,183 Posts
stick a towel in the hole and see if it changes any thing

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stick a towel in the hole and see if it changes any thing
Since I wear a half helmet, I figure my ears would start flapping then :ltr: (buffeting)

·
Registered
289 Posts
what fun...
but..
dang...i wondered how those dang bugs got smushed on the inside of the shield....
what i want to know is HOW you know it...i sure as dang-bug-boogers have not seen them sneaking in down there...way too much going on for me ...

and i sure have dang bug guts on the insides...

(did i say dang)

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Thanks fellas. That's another reason for me liking my XR. No bugs on the backside of the windshield. :)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Is'nt it to reduce fogging, just spit balling....:crzy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that opening really sucks I have just as many bugs on the inside as I do on the out side what was Victory thinking with out a way to shut it off my teeth have as many bugs as a Harley driver.:ltr:

·
13,183 Posts
I did a search on the net and found plenty. Your going to have to measure your opening and see what you can find. If your going to drill holes start small and work your way up. You can crack the shield in a blink of the eye.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Windshield Cut Out

CEE Flector makes a new shield with out the cut out. I have not tried it yet but it looks good. Same company that makes the new lowers for the forged bars.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CEE Flector makes a new shield with out the cut out. I have not tried it yet but it looks good. Same company that makes the new lowers for the forged bars.
Although that is an option, unfortunately you loose the effect/purpose of the cutout and I don't want to do that.

What I have done tho, in the interim, is installed a Gustafsson +4 EuroFlip shield. It has a much smaller opening and so far I haven't had any bugs on the inside.

Before the cooler weather returns I will work on fabricating a mesh for the stock shield. My "idea" is for it to be rubber mounted whereby the rubber will have a groove in both sides, one for fitment to the shield and the other for the mesh to fit into. That way it is easily removable if so desired and no drilling/fixed bracketry will be necessary.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Although that is an option, unfortunately you loose the effect/purpose of the cutout and I don't want to do that.

What I have done tho, in the interim, is installed a Gustafsson +4 EuroFlip shield. It has a much smaller opening and so far I haven't had any bugs on the inside.

Before the cooler weather returns I will work on fabricating a mesh for the stock shield. My "idea" is for it to be rubber mounted whereby the rubber will have a groove in both sides, one for fitment to the shield and the other for the mesh to fit into. That way it is easily removable if so desired and no drilling/fixed bracketry will be necessary.
I would love to see what you come up with. It's designed that way to allow smooth airflow over both sides of the shield to reduce buffeting....which works great. My complaint is when I get stuck riding in the rain, the water pours in that opening like an open ditch. Sticking a rag in there helps, but a louvre or removable piece would be preferable, not to mention look a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't have a rain issue with mine. I do have bug guts on both side of the shield.

I don't have a problem with either issue per se. You see, I ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to see what you come up with.
I will post pics and a step-by-step when I do but don't hold your breath on this coz it might not get done 'till winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts