Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a ride yesterday.....pulled out in the morning at 26 degrees F, rolled back in later in the afternoon, the temp had made it all the way up to 36. I had intended to make make it to Point Judith, RI for some seafood on the ocean but turned the ride into a spin around eastern CT because it was just too damn cold to be fun.
Anyway, that ride will wrap it up for this riding season... The weather looks like crap around here heading into December and the snow has already started in my favorite riding areas. So, as much as I don't want to, I'm going to winterize later today and put the XC up until next spring :(

On a good note this was one of the best seasons I've had on the bike thumb up I managed to ride just over 11,000 awesome miles this season touring NE, NY and Canada, including a week of running around Nova Scotia .... With the addition of the Madstad, winglets and Corbin seat I got the bike to be the most comfortable and pleasurable to ride than its ever been, finally no buffeting or heat issues to deal with either... Of course special thanks to @broggyr and @roboots21 for help adding cams this year.....The cams (and a great tuning) got the 106 to where it should be power wise and I luv it :D

Time to head into the deep-dark .... See ya on the other side :wink

·
Registered
602 Posts
Great for you...sounds like an awesome ride....I to managed 17000 miles this year and the snow on the ground has my face in a frown LOL still haven't put her to bed yet...hoping for one more ride....!!!

Keep warm and the darkness does end!! LOL

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dang..... it's just too early to park it! I feel your pain...have a good winter thinking about all the great riding you will do next season :)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Time for another round of winter work. Probably have to take my starter out again and re-grease that damn bearing, and I have a new stereo to install.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I did a Veteran's Day run yesterday, solo. Flags flying everywhere. It was in the 60's with a light wind. Made the rounds of the places I hang out at. Benny finally got his old shovel back together and running. Todd mounted a passenger back rest and luggage rack on his 05 standard. Just pretty much a normal Saturday around here. We don't put our scooter up for the winter here. There will be plenty of nice days to ride through the winter. We have taken trips and camped in January. Road down to the Mexican Boarder in February. The only direction I would ever move is further South. I like mild winters. We do get snow and freezing rain. But generally is gone in a few days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
11,000 and 17,000 are very good numbers especially in the colder states. Now that I am retired I plan on getting up into those numbers. For you guys who get to those numbers that work and have a family I say good for you but don't know how you do it. :smile

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah I'm down for the season too. I'm in one of the few places in Canada where you can ride year round but I HAAAATE riding in the rain.

Not as many miles as usual this year because I couldn't ride for a couple of months but managed to get out pretty much as often as I wanted.

As for the bike it'll get cleaned up and covered in the next week or so. It's in a garage in mild temperatures so I don't have the winterization process to go through that I did on the cold side of the Rockies.

The only things the bike needed this year was air in the tires twice and a minor tuneup on the battery. It groaned a couple of times but it's now back to 100%. And that damned gas tank needed attention far too often.

All in all it was a pretty good year. PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) will kick in soon but at least here I count it in weeks, not months.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I hate "put away" day every year..... but it something that's got to be done. I won't be on it again until some time in March. Then its really late April before regular rides and tours can start up again.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Glad to see you guys out riding. I look forward to coming to this site to read stories and see pictures of your adventures!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Took a ride yesterday.....pulled out in the morning at 26 degrees F, rolled back in later in the afternoon, the temp had made it all the way up to 36. I had intended to make make it to Point Judith, RI for some seafood on the ocean but turned the ride into a spin around eastern CT because it was just too damn cold to be fun.
Anyway, that ride will wrap it up for this riding season... The weather looks like crap around here heading into December and the snow has already started in my favorite riding areas. So, as much as I don't want to, I'm going to winterize later today and put the XC up until next spring :(

On a good note this was one of the best seasons I've had on the bike thumb up I managed to ride just over 11,000 awesome miles this season touring NE, NY and Canada, including a week of running around Nova Scotia .... With the addition of the Madstad, winglets and Corbin seat I got the bike to be the most comfortable and pleasurable to ride than its ever been, finally no buffeting or heat issues to deal with either... Of course special thanks to @broggyr and @roboots21 for help adding cams this year.....The cams (and a great tuning) got the 106 to where it should be power wise and I luv it :D

Time to head into the deep-dark .... See ya on the other side :wink
share your pain sir... first bloody snowfall of the season and the roads are white as, well, snow... with salt... they dropped so much on the highway that my car was nearly completely white.. my wife was shocked when i came home... was supposed to do a veterans day ride over the weekend as well, but i talked to a bunch of fellow riders and they all were in the same boat - salty roads = time to start PMS.
guess now is a good time to rip the speedo off and see if there is any salvaging it before getting a new speedo...

·
Registered
559 Posts
and...I rode to work this morning! 55° this morning in D/FW! Looks like a great week to ride here, Lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Glad to see you guys out riding. I look forward to coming to this site to read stories and see pictures of your adventures!
Wish you a speedy recovery Maddog and back to two wheels quickly!!

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@MonsterMash I haven't seen any snow in the forecast around here yet, just cold and rain.....but like I said most of my fav. riding areas have already been snowed & salted.
I don't have any winter projects planned, can't work on the bike in my shed where I store the bike anyway. In spring I plan to install a switch for my driving lights. They a brutally bright and I need a way to turn them off in certain situations....that's my big plans at the moment.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am in the same boat man. It was warm enough to get mine washed up yesterday and I took it for a spin up the road after putting the stabilizer in and then filled up the tank and back home. I'll be putting it up on the jack soon but was holding out hope for a few more days, but I think it's wishful thinking at this point. I was thinking of adding some driving lights, maybe a running light module for the front turn signals, and perhaps some sort of extra lighting in the back (either run/turn/brake module and red signal lenses, or Kuryakyn bag lights), but still haven't made a full decision on all that.

What else do you do for your winter storage besides fuel stabilizer and fresh oil? I changed my oil about 500 miles ago so I'm good there. Only thing I plan to do is pull the seat to fix the small spot in the corner and also the tank so I can pull the clutch cable for fix/replacement (Barnett is giving me a hard time about fixing because I don't have the original receipt).

And finally, I'm happy we were able to get together the few times that we did and get in some good miles! We will definitely be making a more often occurence for the next riding season. We will be catching up with you in the spring or hey, maybe before then sir!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in the same boat man. It was warm enough to get mine washed up yesterday and I took it for a spin up the road after putting the stabilizer in and then filled up the tank and back home. I'll be putting it up on the jack soon but was holding out hope for a few more days, but I think it's wishful thinking at this point. I was thinking of adding some driving lights, maybe a running light module for the front turn signals, and perhaps some sort of extra lighting in the back (either run/turn/brake module and red signal lenses, or Kuryakyn bag lights), but still haven't made a full decision on all that.

What else do you do for your winter storage besides fuel stabilizer and fresh oil? I changed my oil about 500 miles ago so I'm good there. Only thing I plan to do is pull the seat to fix the small spot in the corner and also the tank so I can pull the clutch cable for fix/replacement (Barnett is giving me a hard time about fixing because I don't have the original receipt).

And finally, I'm happy we were able to get together the few times that we did and get in some good miles! We will definitely be making a more often occurence for the next riding season. We will be catching up with you in the spring or hey, maybe before then sir!
I'm sure there will be a nice day or two before the deep grip of winter sets in(there always is...) but its just not worth letting the bike sit for weeks for a possible short ride to nowhere....just got to make the decision to cut it off and be done.
For winterizing. I empty the bags, clean the bike down of any dirt and material stuck to the paint, air the tires up, add 5oz of Sea Foam to the oil and 8oz to a full tank of fuel then I run it to circulate the fluids. Pull it into its parking space in the shed, plug in the battery tender, pull the fitted cover on and its in hibernation until spring. I don't typically change the oil for storage, I do that at 5,000 mile intervals and mine isn't due yet.

I'm looking forward to doing more rides with you next season also....we need to talk about planning a tour to somewhere. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Last year I kept my bike on the road all through and surprisingly got a few very satisfying rides in. It's funny how as the time between decent weather gets longer my tolerance of conditions gets broader....oh it's only a light drizzle...oh it's almost 40° and its supposed to warm up...oh the wind is dying down...when it gets bad enough oh man I can justify almost anything! But I do plan to get some winter projects done too, like tires again and a new audio amp. I hope that while all you northern riders are considering your own winter projects you'll remember VicWrapz!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its been over 3 weeks with no riding.......I am definitely missing it but I believe its actually true that I've reached the finish line with my Victory :eek I realized this morning that I have not once looked at parts or add-ons I could get for my XC. Even when my wife was asking about what I might want for Christmas there was not a thing Victory related that come up. This is kind of odd because by now I've typically had a ton of **** picked out and ideas jumping around in my head to shower the bike with come spring.....nada this time :confused:

I am starting to plan a Maggie Valley, NC tour though :grin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts