Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biker’s Code

Published by Cyril Huze October 20th, 2011 in Editorial.
I ride purely, and only, because it is fun. I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding. I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so. I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone. My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.
I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex. I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well-being. I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.
I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it. My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be. I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.
I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe a manner as I can cast upon them. I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me.
I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered. I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask,I will share them. I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help. I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.
I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and I hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself. Author Unknown. (sent by Sugar Bear) All [email protected]

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Who said bikers don't dig poetry? :D

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
There it is.... That's it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Yeah but where is the part about because chicks dig bikes???

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Actually I think maybe Peter Fonda says it best in this clip from his 1966 film "Wild Angels"
We wanna get loaded

·
Registered
111 Posts
wild angels

Actually I think maybe Peter Fonda says it best in this clip from his 1966 film "Wild Angels"
We wanna get loaded
i can't believe there's a reference to wild angels here, just watched it again the other day (probably about the 50th time since 1970) and still can't get over the idea that it probably caused more problems than it cured.

·
Registered
755 Posts
yeah it is a lot of words, but none of 'em are wasted. it just took that many to say it.
Actually IMO it's about 90% bs. Anyone puts that much importance in a motorcycle needs a life. (go ahead start the flaming)
I know for the most of us riding is a hobby my family and my children comes before any machine or toy with wheels

This is my biker's code...my friends, my family and most of all my children comes before a stupid motorcycle. I will ride my bike as hobby and hobby only. Any one who says their bike is extension of their being is out of their f 'en mind and I will look them in the eye and laugh at their faces. And if some stupid shumck in a car decides be aggressive I will let them go to their marry way because in traffic against a car on a motorcycle you will always lose, and I have kids to get home to.

And I will not call every men on two wheels my brother because I don't even know them. I will stop to help if they are in need of any help but I'm not gonna become his/her mentor because I spoke to that person for five minutes.
Anywho...I bored and tired of typing. Feel free to flame.
cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually IMO it's about 90% bs. Anyone puts that much importance in a motorcycle needs a life. (go ahead start the flaming)
I know for the most of us riding is a hobby my family and my children comes before any machine or toy with wheels

This is my biker's code...my friends, my family and most of all my children comes before a stupid motorcycle. I will ride my bike as hobby and hobby only. Any one who says their bike is extension of their being is out of their f 'en mind and I will look them in the eye and laugh at their faces. And if some stupid shumck in a car decides be aggressive I will let them go to their marry way because in traffic against a car on a motorcycle you will always lose, and I have kids to get home to.

And I will not call every men on two wheels my brother because I don't even know them. I will stop to help if they are in need of any help but I'm not gonna become his/her mentor because I spoke to that person for five minutes.
cheers
Flame #1 this is what separates BIKERS from riders
My world of being a "biker" has brought many of a relationship to an end.My old Harley has been through 3 wives and numerous girlfriends and it still loves me.
Hope the Vic hangs in there too.cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bad VV,
There are big differences between Bikers and Motorcyclists with the first being priorities. I love my bike as well as my family and my job; without my job I wouldn't have my bike and without my bike I wouldn't have a hobby that my wife enjoys.

I have nothing against those that can put their bike first and in a way I envy them. Unfortunatley I am a workaholic and that has affected my family so much over the years that I can't let anything else do the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
flame?

cheers
bad v v: there is no need to flame on this issue, in a lot of ways i agree with what you say. for instance i quit motorcycles the day my daughter was born and did not ride again until she was 18 and ready to go on her own. did that make me a saint? no, only devoted to her and my responsibilities. i will stop and help someone who needs it not because they are my brother but because they need help and i hope that one day it'll bring good karma for me or my family/friends. i don't quite know how to address the importance of a motorcycle/hobby except to say this, my motorcycles will never be more important than family/friends. however by the nature of owning and riding them and participating in the other activities that go along with it, it does to some extent shape who we are and how we are. as for the bikers code being 90% b.s., it may be but i know this for a fact: if joe six pack tried even a little bit to live his life by these words in the sense of the honor and ethics that it would take to do this, then this would be a much better place. again no flame here but these are not bad ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Actually IMO it's about 90% bs.
Which was the good 10%?

Did it say somewhere that you shouldn't?

I think that's a good attitude, though I have had a few confrontations over the years.

That wasn't the point. I agree that the piece was written in flooffy language meant to evoke emotions like being in a platoon war film on brotherhood, but in general, I can identify with the points he made.

1. I ride because I enjoy it and prefer it to driving a car unless it's cold and rainy and I'm too tired to bother donning all the gear
2. I like to understand and work on motorcycles
3. I do fear premature death by splatter, so I've read up on, taken classes, and practiced my riding skills for the last few decades
4. I don't wish to annoy or intimidate the general public
5. I don't care what anyone else rides, though I have been tooting Victory's horn lately to my riding friends
6. I've come to the aid of riders in distress
7. I've taught a number of newbies to ride and will share my knowledge/experiences with anyone who is interested

I think most of this comes under the heading of acting like a civilized human being who enjoys their hobby.

But anyway, if the write-up can serve to change the perceptions of those who see "bikers" as loud, flashy, and offensive, then I'm all for it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
... to each his own ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts