Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I had posted a thread regarding a rattling gas tank. I was not able to get anyone to tell me if my tank had outstanding recalls. So I opened it up. HOLY CRUD! I have been riding the bomb! There is a strip of flat sheet metal running side to side that holds a vent pipe of some sort towards the front top of the tank. This flat metal has snapped in two, and has been rubbing with the other half. How can I still be alive? As far as I can see this is metal, not aluminum.
Does anyone know if this is a recall issue? Have attempted to contact Victory directly, but have yet to hear from them either. Before I go nuts and call D.O.T. or some other stupid idea, anyone have a suggestion on what I should do next?
If anyone is interested, I had snapped a couple of pictures. I can email them later if requested.

Cal Cruiser:mad:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I could swear I responded to your other post. Your best bet is go to the DEALER and they will run your VIN. That will determine if you are on the recall and if it was done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I have already taken my Vegas to two dealers. Neither could figure out if work was done from looking at the Victory database. One said no work was done. The other said half of it was documented, but not the other half. I think I have given up on Victory. I absolutely love the bike, and the fact it isn't a Harley, but being stranded twice with broken clutch cables, replacing brakes constantly, and now this...

Oh, and so you know, someone on this forum was going to run my VIN (twice), but I never heard back from him either time. Thanks anyway for all your assistance. But I think this bike has become a lost cause. Just can't trust it to be safe, and it's impossible to get info for.
And to think I convinced 2 people to purchase Victory's... I guess I have some explaining to do.

I will say in all honesty that I only contacted Polaris a couple of days ago, so they may still respond and clear all this up. We'll see. Thanks again.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I am really sorry about the problems you're having. Probably the BIGGEST problem with Victory are the dealerships. There are a lot of dealers that don't care after the sale. A lot that don't have truly qualified mechanics.

The only person on here that I know of that can run your VIN would be KevinX. He is a Victory Mechanic at a dealership. He may have just forgot. It does happen. He has his job, the VMC that he helps out with as THE mechanic and he is the president of.

PM him again and see what he says.

Sounds like the previous owner may have known something was wrong and pawned it off on you. For all you know the previous owner may have caused the issue and it isn't a manufacturer problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, from what I was able to learn when I bought the bike, the original dealer was doing anything they could to dump Victorys. Added no charge windshields, P.M. rims, etc. Never could figure out why they didn't want to sell them any longer. Damn nice bikes...
As for the previous owner screwing it up, I guess it is always a possibility, but I bought it with only 1475 miles on it. I have since put over 10,000 on it. This rattle issue just popped up about 100 miles ago. Tank is clean and totally straight. My theory is this was just a defective piece of metal that fatigued over time until it snapped. The break is right where it is welded / attached to the vent canister thingy. But I need Polaris to tell me either way if any recall work was performed, or if this was even a recall issue. I have looked up Victory Recalls, and there is one for tank vents, but it sounds external, not internal. So I just don't know yet. I of course must replace the tank. Whether Victory pays for it, or if I get stuck with the bill, is the only outstanding issue.
Sorry if I seem disgruntled. I do love my Vegas more than anything, but I have become quite frustrated with all the little problems, the Victory dealers, and their lack of concern.
I will keep everyone posted if and when Polaris returns my message. Thanks again Diamond.
P.S. I did give KevinX my vin. And I do expect he is busy actually doing his job, unlike myself... I'm sure he has better things to do than respond to every whining poster. I have absolutely no complaints with him. In fact I thank him for the time he did spend with me on this.
Cal Cruiser

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez, Polaris just responded to my plea for recall info. I had explained I was unable to get useful info from the 2 dealers I spoke to, and you want to know Polaris's response? "Take it to a dealer to look up the recall information". Did they even read my message?? I guess this is what I expected... Another dead end.
Cal Cruiser

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Have you gone to SRVT?

Ness is NOT the place to go in my opinion for service. The mechanics especially John are arrogant SOB's!!

Call Preston at Santa Rosa Vee Twin tomorrow. If he isn't too busy he will probably run your VIN on the phone.

There is also Delta Powersports in Lathrop. I don't have any personal dealings with them but I hear good things about them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Geez, Polaris just responded to my plea for recall info. I had explained I was unable to get useful info from the 2 dealers I spoke to, and you want to know Polaris's response? "Take it to a dealer to look up the recall information". Did they even read my message?? I guess this is what I expected... Another dead end.
Cal Cruiser
take the tank put a lit rag in it and throw it through there front window that should get there attention, thats what i would do clap

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
V-03-03 FUEL TANK VENT INSPECTION SAFETY Applied on Bulletin No. V-04-02
V-04-02 FUEL LEAK @ FUEL TANK VENT FIT SAFETY Bulletin Completed

Other Bulletins Bulletin Description Bulletin Type Bulletin Status
V-03-03A FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT REGULAR BULLETIN Review bulletin to see if it applies
V-03-04A FUEL CAP AND IGN SWITCH REPLAC REGULAR BULLETIN Review bulletin to see if it applies

Thought I had sent this stuff to you in a PM, but here is the deal I have found, and what it means.
V-03-03 is an inspection, and V-04-02 Is a bulliten that tells them to change the tank. According to what is here the tank HAS been replaced.

Now the good news. Not sure if it will fly but 03-03A is a further bulletin that says the replacement tanks on Cali models may have obstructed vents. This may allow you to get another tank, but a dealer would have to try to submit it to be certain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic! Thanks KevinX for my history. I now have somewhere to start my fight. Tried to upload a picture of this problem to the forum, but cannot figure out how to reduce the size to an allowable level. If interested in seeing it, send me an address to send it to. Mine is [email protected] It is a strange looking defect. One question. There is no doubt I will have to take this tank to a dealer and have it evaluated. When I do, should it be completely empty, and plug removed? Or will that do bad things like dry out my pump, rust the inner lining, etc? I have about 1/2 gallon in it currently so the pump stays wet. Suggestions?
On a seperate note, I will call SRVT, as was earlier suggested.
Thanks a million for your efforts.
Cal Cruiser

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I have been screaming about. This picture was taken with the tank off the bike and turned upside down. The camera was placed inside the plug port. The view is facing towards the front of the tank. You can see one half of the metal is just sitting on the other half. And that barrel with the tube coming out, I believe is one of the vents. Where the date stamp is, is the gas cap neck.

Cal Cruiser

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
lol i like that ace. Then he could get a new tank with some custom paint. But in all seriousness dosent seem right for the dealers to just leave you in limbo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, from what I'm reading the dealers may have dropped the ball but Diamond and Kevinx came through for you, this forum is doing it's job, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Victory dealers have not been very helpful with any of my questions or problems. Diamond and Kevin have been able to answer many of the unknowns about my bike. They are both my new heroes. Unfortunately this particular tank problem doesn't seem to be a common one, and I expect to replace the tank on my dime. But will inform NTSB and DOT that this problem exists. Even if Victory wants to look the other way, a record of this issue will exist for others out there to see. Still love Victories, even with the poor customer service. The company may be useless, but they designed some strong & beautiful bikes. I had hoped to upgrade to a Cross Country this year, but with the cost of a tank replacement, that isn't going to happen...
Cal Cruiser

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 03 vegas had a similar problem except it was leaking gas from the bottom of the tank. I took it to 2 different dealers as well and got the same run around about the info on the recalls "we dont' know". I called Rick Stoker at stroker's in Dallas and explained to him my situation and he took care of getting the rank replaced and a few extras for NO CHARGE, even bought us a couple of beers for the inconvience. There was a recall on the 03 vegas tank for the vent being weak and breaking. I didn't see what year you vegas was so I can't really be sure.

Here is a link where i found my being apart of the recall
http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/VICTORY_VEGAS_recalls_1181-9548-1.html

Here is a link for service bulletins for the vegas as well
http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/VICTORY_VEGAS_technical_service_bulletins_1181-9548-1.html

Hope this helps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oh and Stroker's was one of the dealers that didn't know when I first showed up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts