Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. errr the PIPE I mean.

Pulled the Catalytic convertors and drilled out the baffles this evening.

Went for a short 15 minute ride, pulled a couple good hills and got her up to speed.

Sound is much better especially when you "get on it".

Got home and put my hand within appx 3" of the collector pipe (where the front and rear join and the crossover is) and did not feel it was too hot to hold my hand there.

Only "odd" thing I noticed when I started the bike up from cold (never checked this before) was that the Left exhaust gases got hot before the Right.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
It didn't happen if you don't have before and after IR temperature readings, hp and torque figures :) But be careful now that we know the US feds are trailing just about everyone. If you get audited or start hearing small drones fly by know that they're likely looking to verify your mattress tag hasn't also gone missing! Just because your in our 51st state, don't think it couldn't happen. If we can spy on our friends and enemies around the world, Canada is a simple remote controlled drone flight away.

Congratulations on your catectomy!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didn't happen if you don't have before and after IR temperature readings, hp and torque figures :)
IR before: 1500f
HP before: 102
Tq before: 105

IR after: 175.7f
HP after: 181.56
Tq after: 193.72

:) thumb up :crzy:

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
.. errr the PIPE I mean.

Only "odd" thing I noticed when I started the bike up from cold (never checked this before) was that the Left exhaust gases got hot before the Right.

There is a diverter plate built into the cross-over pipe right in front of the right side cat. If you would have looked up the pipe with the cat removed you would have seen that this plate blocks a major portion of the right side exhaust. The logic of this plate :confused: ??? Who knows except Victory. I bent the plate over to the left in mine so it mostly blocks the cross-over section to the left side, removed just the right side cat and now most of my exhaust comes out the right side in more of a 2 into 1 fashion.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a diverter plate built into the cross-over pipe right in front of the right side cat. If you would have looked up the pipe with the cat removed you would have seen that this plate blocks a major portion of the right side exhaust. The logic of this plate :confused: ??? Who knows except Victory. I bent the plate over to the left in mine so it mostly blocks the cross-over section and now most of my exhaust comes out the right side in more of a 2 into 1 fashion.
Thanks ... good info.

·
13,235 Posts
why do you post what you do and don't say what year or what model you have.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why do you post what you do and don't say what year or what model you have.
Well, let's see ... I guess partly because I am posting in the "Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads" forum so I ASSuMEd some folks might be able to guess and partly because I never added it to my sig (until a few minutes ago) and partly because I didn't think more of it.

That answer your Q ???

It's now in my sig.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There is a diverter plate built into the cross-over pipe right in front of the right side cat. If you would have looked up the pipe with the cat removed you would have seen that this plate blocks a major portion of the right side exhaust. The logic of this plate :confused: ??? Who knows except Victory. I bent the plate over to the left in mine so it mostly blocks the cross-over section to the left side, removed just the right side cat and now most of my exhaust comes out the right side in more of a 2 into 1 fashion.
By removing your cats and bending over the diverter plate to create a 2 into 1 effect, what were your end results. Did you have any idle issues, ecm issues, more power less heat ? I would love to see a comparison of before and after.

·
Registered
186 Posts
.. errr the PIPE I mean.

Pulled the Catalytic convertors and drilled out the baffles this evening.

Went for a short 15 minute ride, pulled a couple good hills and got her up to speed.

Sound is much better especially when you "get on it".

Got home and put my hand within appx 3" of the collector pipe (where the front and rear join and the crossover is) and did not feel it was too hot to hold my hand there.

Where are the cats (or cat) located? It's easier to type this now than to go look at my bike when I get home later. Did you have to install a pipe in it's place?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are the cats (or cat) located? It's easier to type this now than to go look at my bike when I get home later. Did you have to install a pipe in it's place?
Nothing installed in place of.

The right side CAT is in the pipe that the muffler connects to. When you pull the muffler, it's right there, inside the pipe, staring at you and screaming "remove me!" .... you can't miss it ...

The left side CAT is in the cross-over pipe. You have to remove the 90 degree elbow pipe to see the CAT.

They are almost flush with the end of the pipe and are "honeycomb" looking.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had a thought about the "why" of this....

It could be there to divert more exhaust to the left side thereby reducing some of the heat generated on the right side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts