1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, they appear to be a cross bike frame, with a new motor and tins. I love them, and will do as much as I can to own one next summer. They took the great ride, and handling of the Cross bikes, and put in a push rod motor, with an advanced 6 speed transmission, and retro styled body work. What's not to love ?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Let's compare.

111 Thunder stroke, Remote locking hard bags, auto up n down wind shield, tons of chrome, Thunder stroke 111, service simplicity, Indian name, Top grade leather seating, Thunder stroke 111 !

All for the price of a Street Glide? Consider ASS KICKED! :ltr:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Time will tell but I like what they've done. The fairing looks a bit busy with the integrated turn signals but not bad. They have some real sweet features like the electronic locking saddlebags, Bluetooth stereo, auto adjust windshield and key-less start.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Let's compare.

111 Thunder stroke, Remote locking hard bags, auto up n down wind shield, tons of chrome, Thunder stroke 111, service simplicity, Indian name, Top grade leather seating, Thunder stroke 111 !

All for the price of a Street Glide? Consider ASS KICKED! :ltr:
Street Glide Vivid Black $19,799

Chieftain Starting at $22,999

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you notice bult in tire pressure monitoring system in the electronic readout section.....

Yes the fairing might take some getting used to for me but I think they were going for a in your face look.....

IS THIS THE TYPE OF BIKE........
You could ride to work every day, leave unattended in the parking lot?
Could you take it on vacation and ride through bad weather?
What about left in a Hotel parking lot...

These are the things that I think of.......

Also for what you get on the Indian It looks like the price of the Victory bikes needs to come down!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like retro but I like my XC better. With that said these look great and I can see them selling if the price is right. I think it is smart to have the same Indian styling with all the updated inner workings. I like what they did on the Chieftain with the movable windshield. I really liked that on my Vision. It would be nice if the XC came with that option.

I think this version of Indian is going to take. I sure hope so for Polaris and all the loyal Indian fans out there. I know my 76 year old dad that rode Harley and Indians back in the day would love to ride one of these.

Bill

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also for what you get on the Indian It looks like the price of the Victory bikes needs to come down!!
You got that right! I wish I had waited a year to buy a bike. The Chieftan outranks the XCT in the goodies area by a long shot!

·
Registered
511 Posts
You got that right! I wish I had waited a year to buy a bike. The Chieftan outranks the XCT in the goodies area by a long shot!
Really? Where are the lowers and the trunk that the Cross Country Tour comes with?

If Indian would have made this bike with lowers and a trunk they would have had a run away hit on their hands. Instead they were afraid to go that one more step.

I would not trade my Cross Country Tour for this Indian. Sorry Polaris.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like the chieftain, but better than a xc? Not to me, I'd compare it to an xc since there is no top box or hard lowers and the bags look smaller, non inverted forks. $4,000 price difference and after rebates you can get an extra 2k off an xc and it will probably be a while before indian starts cutting deals so more like 6k. The windshield is cool, the little electronic stuff here and there is cool but not worth it to me, but that is fine, im not the target consumer, harley folk are and I think they nailed it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Street Glide Vivid Black $19,799

Chieftain Starting at $22,999
When I went to purchase a 2012 SG it was $22,300 +/-. It was equipped with 103 motor, abs, and security. Then I found my 11 CC sitting up the road calling me in at $16,500. HD wasn't budging.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like retro but I like my XC better. With that said these look great and I can see them selling if the price is right. I think it is smart to have the same Indian styling with all the updated inner workings. I like what they did on the Chieftain with the movable windshield. I really liked that on my Vision. It would be nice if the XC came with that option.

I think this version of Indian is going to take. I sure hope so for Polaris and all the loyal Indian fans out there. I know my 76 year old dad that rode Harley and Indians back in the day would love to ride one of these.

Bill
Yay on the XC for me too. Rode all day yesterday and I just love the bike. Handling and ride cant be beat. Every stop light peeps check it out. Definitely stands out with its beauty (black) and looks like a good quality machine. The new Indians no doubt will have the same presence. As for the ride and handling well that is yet to be seen. I'm sure the 111 power plant will be the big attraction to test riders. Hoping Indian 's going to make an appearance at Biketoberfest this year for Demo rides.

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
I set up the Vintage the way I would want it and it came out to around $26k+ out the door with tax and license. The Chieftain is nice but if I was going to go that route I'd go with the more traditional model. Oddly enough I didn't do that with Victory since I opted for the XC. I would have gone for the XCT if they had it at the time. Would have been much less expensive that way. No regrets here either. I really like my XC the way I have it set up now.

One thing Indian has going for it that has to stick in the craw of HD riders is Indian was the first Moco company. Not the longest continual company but still the first and there's nothing HD can do about that.

BTW, if you are interested in riding a new Indian like I am, check out the link below to see if the demo truck is stopping at a place close enough to check 'em out. Looks like they are starting up Near Sturgis as can be expected since they are there now and working their way around the Eastern parts of the country for now.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/demo-tour

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
SO hows this going to work, are Victory Dealers the only ones going to be Indian dealers or will this be a different set up where anyone can sell them
Anyone can be a dealer but they must first apply to Indian to see if they are a good fit then it works out there's a $300k buy in that doesn't include merchandise from the way I hear it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SO hows this going to work, are Victory Dealers the only ones going to be Indian dealers or will this be a different set up where anyone can sell them
I hope the Victory/Polaris dealer here becomes an Indian dealer. They have a huge building and not much in side. It would be a great addition to there product line.

The more I look and watch the videos the more it looks like they did an amazing job of preserving the classic Indian look and adding the really cool electronic additions.

I am 55 and the classic lines and looks really appeal to me.

I WANT ONE..........

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Did you notice bult in tire pressure monitoring system in the electronic readout section.....

Yes the fairing might take some getting used to for me but I think they were going for a in your face look.....

IS THIS THE TYPE OF BIKE........
You could ride to work every day, leave unattended in the parking lot?
Could you take it on vacation and ride through bad weather?
What about left in a Hotel parking lot...

These are the things that I think of.......

These are the kinds of things I think of to because I don't get near as much time to ride as I would like but when I do it is all temperatures and many times in the rain. I really like the looks of all 3 models, especially the chieftan but for the price with all the usual add ons it is getting up there and would worry like crazy when parked at a hotel for the night. As much as I like the new Indians I think the XR/XC is still a better looking bike at a much more affordable price point. I can see my self on the bare bones model if there was a hard bag option and a lower price but for now this poor boy will be sticking with his XR for a few more years.
I put another 250 miles on my bike yesterday and stopped at a bike hangout. There were about 100 bikes with about 80 being HD's and around 19 sport bikes and then there was my Vic. I may not be a 1 in a million but yesterday I was one out of a hundred and kind of liked being the only Victory rider in the bunch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Really? Where are the lowers and the trunk that the Cross Country Tour comes with?

If Indian would have made this bike with lowers and a trunk they would have had a run away hit on their hands. Instead they were afraid to go that one more step.

Agreed. The remote locking bags and the TPMS are cool, no doubt, especially for the price. I added the Digital Guard Dawg remote (wish it also did the bags) so I have that.

I expect Indian will create a similar upscale CVO-ish Chieftain in the future with lowers, removable trunk, alarm, etc., and it will compete favorably to the HD CVO SG. But, right now, I get most of that with my XCT. With my XCT I also get a heated seat (I couldn't find that standard on the Chieftain).

If Indian does come out with a real touring bike, I'll consider it; right now my XCT fits me just fine.

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts

This may have been a calculated decision for this reason. I doubt they want you to trade in or sell a Victory to buy an Indian even though there will be many who do. Since both companies share the same parent company there really would not be a net gain to them.

Their target buyers are those who are looking to buy a new Harley and convince them to take a look at the Indian before committing to buying. If the Indian rides and handles as well as the Vic's the buyer will probably go with the Indian unless they are a die hard loyal HD person with an HD tattoo proudly located on his forearm.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Well, they appear to be a cross bike frame, with a new motor and tins.
I see down tubes and tubular frame under engine. Not seeing how that can be considered remotely similar to the cross bike cast aluminum backbone frame?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts