Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a DEMO Judge that has the Cobra 2 into 1 pipe on it. Bike has 80 miles and the pipe is already changing color where the muffler meets the head pipe. It looks like someone splattered silver paint on it but that is not the case. Question is does this pipe hold up and does it make any more power than the stock exhuast? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
former owner had the tripro stage I dealer installed on my 13 hammie. i like its look, mines black and its sturdy but seems heavy. everyone moans on its performance but it still has the cats in + is fairly restrictive-quiet, a drill bit took care of things. removable solid steel baffle is solid on the end gasses go around it, 3 half inch holes relieved the pressure + got the sound i wanted. the cats are your choice but create more heat as well as restriction, most aftermarket full exhausts have no cats + low restriction mufflers some can be overly loud as well.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Worst Victory exhaust known to man. Best use for it is to pour it full of concrete and use it to anchor your boat.
You mean that they are worse than the Victory Swept pipes?

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Well, this does not sound very good for most Victory riders??

So let's see; BAD PIPES proven by curves

1. Cobra 2-in-1 exhaust
2. Swept pipes from Victory

So how about telling / showing what pipes give a better rating / curve then the stock exhaust?? on a stock bike, as it will have to be fair?

PS I will receive FREE "" C-D Stage 1x-BOW Exhaust System C.2878997-156 Crhome state,'11-14 JP "" from the Victory supplier as I was the first Victory sold in this area..... and

I never thought that swept pipes would have BAD performance curves compared to stock exhausts??:crzy::crzy:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well, this does not sound very good for most Victory riders??

So let's see; BAD PIPES proven by curves

1. Cobra 2-in-1 exhaust
2. Swept pipes from Victory

So how about telling / showing what pipes give a better rating / curve then the stock exhaust?? on a stock bike, as it will have to be fair?

PS I will receive FREE "" C-D Stage 1x-BOW Exhaust System C.2878997-156 Crhome state,'11-14 JP "" from the Victory supplier as I was the first Victory sold in this area..... and

I never thought that swept pipes would have BAD performance curves compared to stock exhausts??:crzy::crzy:
A few things:

1. The pipes in the article to which HC referred were these:

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/victory-stage-1-2-into-1-exhaust-50-state-2877254-156-part.html

2. The newer "Cobra" pipes are these:

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/victory-stage-1-tri-pro-exhaust-2878996-156-part.html

3. The stock pipes are ginormous and aside from looks, weigh a ton. One needs to account for weight differences in real world performance.

4. Dynos are notoriously inaccurate. I've read that they can vary 10% or more on the same bike, on the same day. Throw in the same bike on different days (different atmospheric conditions) and compound the error. Throw in different dynos and different operators and you might as well compare a cougar to a platypus.

5. The pipes that tuners generally get most ju ju from are also the ones that will require you to purchase a hearing aid, so that should be factored into the cost.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It is my understanding that the Swept pipes with a good set of baffles will offset any losses.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
pipes i commented on

[/URL][/IMG] as i said this setup has cats in, chrome pipe with black heat shields, and a solid plate gasses must go around. its quiet like that, a drill can easily modify the removable baffle + or cats to a decent but not loud sound level, prolly increasing performance as well. i like its looks + cost was absorbed by former owner. i surely would have replaced the dual cans as i do not like their look at all

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
[/URL][/IMG] as i said this setup has cats in, chrome pipe with black heat shields, and a solid plate gasses must go around. its quiet like that, a drill can easily modify the removable baffle + or cats to a decent but not loud sound level, prolly increasing performance as well. i like its looks + cost was absorbed by former owner. i surely would have replaced the dual cans as i do not like their look at all
Aside from looks, the two into two swept pipes are known for a dip in midrange power. On the other end, two into twos are known to make more top end HP. So the question becomes how one rides. I'd guess that most who ride cruisers ride in the low to mid range of their engine's potential. That is where two into ones shine.

There is a tuner on Youtube who discusses this in some detail. It makes me question the results from the charts HC provided. I don't have any trouble believing that two into twos make higher top end power. I just don't believe they do it without sacrificing the low-mid range that street riding. cruiser owners are apt to use.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Aside from looks, the two into two swept pipes are known for a dip in midrange power. On the other end, two into twos are known to make more top end HP. So the question becomes how one rides. I'd guess that most who ride cruisers ride in the low to mid range of their engine's potential. That is where two into ones shine.

There is a tuner on Youtube who discusses this in some detail. It makes me question the results from the charts HC provided. I don't have any trouble believing that two into twos make higher top end power. I just don't believe they do it without sacrificing the low-mid range that street riding. cruiser owners are apt to use.
The STOCK pipes outperform either Cobra system. Funny... the truth doesn't care what you believe... still true.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Define "outperform." Providing more top end power isn't my definition of "outperformance."

Any belief I have is based on evidence. And the evidence is that two into twos make more top end hp while generally sacrificing low-midrange power.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xpmh_exhaust-systems-and-performance-2-i_news
Question : drag racing track racing everyday riding

Question : when pipes are changed does vibrations in the bars get worse?

What is it you are wanting to do?
Gas mileage goes down performance suffers until you get a fuel controller then dyno tune, deep wallet I say....thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
4. Dynos are notoriously inaccurate. I've read that they can vary 10% or more on the same bike, on the same day. Throw in the same bike on different days (different atmospheric conditions) and compound the error. Throw in different dynos and different operators and you might as well compare a cougar to a platypus.
You read that someplace? How's your reading comprehension? The only valid dyno comparison is 'same dyno/same day' because dyno machines do vary some. If what you said was true, dynamometers would be totally useless.

5. The pipes that tuners generally get most ju ju from are also the ones that will require you to purchase a hearing aid, so that should be factored into the cost.
Did you read this someplace too? Loud does not equal powerful... it never did.

Define "outperform." Providing more top end power isn't my definition of "outperformance."

Any belief I have is based on evidence. And the evidence is that two into twos make more top end hp while generally sacrificing low-midrange power.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xpmh_exhaust-systems-and-performance-2-i_news
1. Victory motorcycles are not Harleys.
2 Show me the big torque advantage of that POS Cobra 2-1 pipe.

A few years ago, American Thunder TV show did a dyno comparison of a whole bunch of pipes. The cheap-assed Cycle shack 2-2 that could almost pass for OEM made the most power and the best overall torque graph of ANY system tested, Including all the 2-1 systems like Thunderheader and Vance & Hines Pro-Pipe.

Of all the "Victory Performance" exhausts, the slip-ons produce the best overall performance gains... better than the 2-1.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
That information is readily available... there are probably 100 threads on exhaust systems to be found by using the search feature. That topic has been discussed here ad nauseum.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You read that someplace? How's your reading comprehension? The only valid dyno comparison is 'same dyno/same day' because dyno machines do vary some. If what you said was true, dynamometers would be totally useless.
I've read it in several places. Here's just one I found quickly.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0612phr_dyno_accuracy_testing/

And it's not useless at all. If you have the same guy making changes and testing them with the same dyno in the same place on or about the same time, they are a great way to document changes in performance. But comparing the results of different dynos done at different places by different people at different times of the year may be misleading.

Did you read this someplace too? Loud does not equal powerful... it never did.
Nope. It's my experience from listening to bike's whose owner have replaced their pipes with the "fast" pipes.

The stuff Vic sells is going to have cats and be somewhat baffled so as not to get its owners instant tickets. It is going to affect their performance some. OTOH, I've ridden a bunch of Vic's bikes with Stage 1 mods and they all ran great. To my eye, they look a lot better than most of their competition. As a result, I concur with Gibson. If the tuning is that bad, no pipe is likely to run well. If it were me, I'd tune them properly before I threw them in the junk heap. And then I'd ride it and if I liked it, I wouldn't worry about its comparative charts.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts