Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavily discussed on another forum I visit, posting this here as the number of visionaries increase. These are just my thoughts on the darkside for the VIsion, not a debate of darkside or not. If you read and participate here you have already crossed that bridge and plan on trying it out. This is more of my feedback after being on it for a while pointing my pros an cons. Hope you find it helpful....

3000+ on darkside 190 Dunlop SP winter sport with runflat and am happy with what I bought it for. I'm year round daily commuter/rider with about 35 miles a day on concrete and 20+ asphalt. I spoke with Rollin prior to jumping on the darkside about this tire and he liked it so was what I went with. I didn't do it for the money savings or to be different. I looked at it just like the bike itself. Purpose built and that's why I bought it. Dunlop 190 mud/snow run flat. Here's my pro's and cons:

Pros
Quieter down the road and in turns smoothing out a lot of the BS road issues I transit everyday.
Traction amazing on asphalt after light rain in stop/go traffic during accel and stopping.
Heavy rain riding was just as good as my E3 during ride but C took it durning braking.
Excellent through road construction that has debris on roadway
More bite it seems on those turns that has debris in the drive
Did not affect smoothness of ride on long hauls with bike still reaching true at speed
No issues on ramps or off ramps at speed in heavy lean. You learn the new sweet spots and speed
Run flat piece of mind
If you find yourself in a oh s#%t moment on/off the road surface it does have a good feel your still in control

Cons
A little stiffer ride (44psi. And 4psi more in shock. I weigh 250) but this could be the run flat part.
Can't mount hitch as was hopping. Another thread has those details
Don't like having to learn how to ride the bike differently on 2ndry roads. The tire does not like wheel ruts and will want to track to it. Especially construction around 30mph.
Turns and twisties still navigated with no substantial issues, you adjust to it after a while, but she don't handle like she did. I was able to do most of what I did before at same speeds but had to work for it. However, coming into tight curves that have wheel ruts in pavement do not leave you feeling comfy. This is a significant point anyone thinking of converting should look at. Where are ou going to be riding daily.
Got to find someone to mount it other than shop. Lol

I was on the fence also with a lot of variables to weigh out. My plan is to run this through the winter into spring and see how it does for me. I may just purchase a used rear wheel and mount a bike tire on it and run that in the late spring through months I like to be on the twisties and doing things the vision does well. That would be ideal. Will see. For now, if your on the fence, make an informed decision accepting the fact the bike handles differently with this tire just like it might as you try different bike tires such as softer, harder etc. ask yourself why you feel you want to do it then follow that route. I'm happy with the darkside and what it does well but I know on the bike tire what I can do well too! Hope this gives some insight for some one.
Also, thanks Rollin for the tire recommendation. Very good choice it feels!

Safe ridin all!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Heavily discussed on another forum I visit, posting this here as the number of visionaries increase. These are just my thoughts on the darkside for the VIsion, not a debate of darkside or not. If you read and participate here you have already crossed that bridge and plan on trying it out. This is more of my feedback after being on it for a while pointing my pros an cons. Hope you find it helpful....

3000+ on darkside 190 Dunlop SP winter sport with runflat and am happy with what I bought it for. I'm year round daily commuter/rider with about 35 miles a day on concrete and 20+ asphalt. I spoke with Rollin prior to jumping on the darkside about this tire and he liked it so was what I went with. I didn't do it for the money savings or to be different. I looked at it just like the bike itself. Purpose built and that's why I bought it. Dunlop 190 mud/snow run flat. Here's my pro's and cons:

Pros
Quieter down the road and in turns smoothing out a lot of the BS road issues I transit everyday.
Traction amazing on asphalt after light rain in stop/go traffic during accel and stopping.
Heavy rain riding was just as good as my E3 during ride but C took it durning braking.
Excellent through road construction that has debris on roadway
More bite it seems on those turns that has debris in the drive
Did not affect smoothness of ride on long hauls with bike still reaching true at speed
No issues on ramps or off ramps at speed in heavy lean. You learn the new sweet spots and speed
Run flat piece of mind
If you find yourself in a oh s#%t moment on/off the road surface it does have a good feel your still in control

Cons
A little stiffer ride (44psi. And 4psi more in shock. I weigh 250) but this could be the run flat part.
Can't mount hitch as was hopping. Another thread has those details
Don't like having to learn how to ride the bike differently on 2ndry roads. The tire does not like wheel ruts and will want to track to it. Especially construction around 30mph.
Turns and twisties still navigated with no substantial issues, you adjust to it after a while, but she don't handle like she did. I was able to do most of what I did before at same speeds but had to work for it. However, coming into tight curves that have wheel ruts in pavement do not leave you feeling comfy. This is a significant point anyone thinking of converting should look at. Where are ou going to be riding daily.
Got to find someone to mount it other than shop. Lol

I was on the fence also with a lot of variables to weigh out. My plan is to run this through the winter into spring and see how it does for me. I may just purchase a used rear wheel and mount a bike tire on it and run that in the late spring through months I like to be on the twisties and doing things the vision does well. That would be ideal. Will see. For now, if your on the fence, make an informed decision accepting the fact the bike handles differently with this tire just like it might as you try different bike tires such as softer, harder etc. ask yourself why you feel you want to do it then follow that route. I'm happy with the darkside and what it does well but I know on the bike tire what I can do well too! Hope this gives some insight for some one.
Also, thanks Rollin for the tire recommendation. Very good choice it feels!

Safe ridin all!
All you need to do now is add wings and a propellor and you'll be ready for anything the universe throws at you. ;)

·
13,003 Posts
I was running 40psi for the first 10 thousand miles on my CT and would check air after long rides and all ways found it up about 4 pounds. I dropped it to 38psi and I think that is a good sweat spot.
You have to learn on crowen roads to relax and I handle them better.
For me I like the CT in curves and ribbon roads it holds me back from being over aggressive.
You think of all the different roads conditions Rollin has been on and he pretty much has felt them all.
Yes a CT is not for every one but next year when tires hit $250 you can bet more will try them

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I loved my Potenza on my VTX!! I will look high and low for a possible CT on my Ness WITH a hitch when this tire needs swapped out.

I personally let the CT rip on the twisties. I found it was superb and the other riders and their surprised faces was, well, priceless.

I will without a hesitation go to a CT when/if I can.

I expect the Vision will take to the car tire better than my VTX did. Bigger & heavier. The only complaints I had was the slow speed handling. Like taking an angled curb other than straight on. Damn bike would follow the contours and surprise the crap out of me. I could easily stop the VTX from flopping on its side. Not so with the VV.

Well done!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All you need to do now is add wings and a propellor and you'll be ready for anything the universe throws at you. ;)
Funny you should say that. The front end feels light enough to fly now and for a moment I thought she was going airborne. Lol

Good points VJ and Mike. VJ is stating one of my cons but is a pro for him which is the point of this post. Not debate to do it or not but what we experienced when it was done. An informed decision is the best.

Mike, that is one of the things I really am not as happy with for example, was up in MD riding with half crazy and found a couple of those curves. Not that I felt I was going to loose it, just a different set of riding trouts as I progressed through them.

All three good points.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Tire pressure changes, as low as 1lb makes a difference. I started at 35 and went up a pound until it felt right. Me, on the VTX 42 was just right.

The twisties I'm sure would feel weird at softer pressures.

I had 8k on the VTX when I got NESSY. The CT still looked new.

I imagine getting the Victory's rear tire aligned correctly is paramount running a CT. The littlest of errors would be dramatically noticeable. Again, my guessing as I don't have a CT yet on my VV.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found my best ride so far at 45 for the CT and 30 on my shock. Best yet. Looking forward to updating this thread after the winter months..

·
13,003 Posts
Tire pressure changes, as low as 1lb makes a difference. I started at 35 and went up a pound until it felt right. Me, on the VTX 42 was just right.

The twisties I'm sure would feel weird at softer pressures.

I had 8k on the VTX when I got NESSY. The CT still looked new.

I imagine getting the Victory's rear tire aligned correctly is paramount running a CT. The littlest of errors would be dramatically noticeable. Again, my guessing as I don't have a CT yet on my VV.
Don't tell the bike your putting a CT on it and you align like normal. If there is a norm.
With the trailer hitch your going to have to use a 185 size so you can get clearance. do a search on the net for tire size chart

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Can someone running a ct get a pic of it and post it please? I dont know that ive seen a pic of one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.

I too have plans of bringing my Vision to the darkside.

I bought a nice rear wheel off ebay, cleaned it up, checked it out and ready to install a CT.

Looking at the Michelin Alpin Pa3 Runflat. Can get it at Sam's for $165 shipped. Going to run Dyanbeads.

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for starting this thread.

I too have plans of bringing my Vision to the darkside.

I bought a nice rear wheel off ebay, cleaned it up, checked it out and ready to install a CT.

Looking at the Michelin Alpin Pa3 Runflat. Can get it at Sam's for $165 shipped. Going to run Dyanbeads.

Ride Safe!!
I think my biggest hurdle was getting the right pressure. Got the right mix tire and shock and she is doing great. Looking forward to winter riding more now. I'm hoping to pick up a spare rim. Mind posting ow much you paid? Thanks and safe ridin

·
Registered
72 Posts
I paid about $70 shipped. It was real dirty, had sticky wheel weights and leftover sticky from wheel weights and tar....etc. A little elbow grease and cleaner and she looks new. Going to replace bearings with some All Balls just for good measure. Wheel only had 17,000 miles on it.

Roger

·
13,003 Posts
New Dark Siders
start with 40psi and ride with care till you get the coating off the tire. It will take maybe 30 miles or so. Do straight line roads with small curves.
Once the coating goes away you can get more aggressive in clover leafs and ribbon roads. You need a good air pressure gage to check air.
Now it will take more effort in clover leafs and ribbon roads so you will be pushing harder on the bars. Going down crowned roads just relax and let the bike drift a little.
Don't go into a panic just take your time and before you know it you'll be enjoying the tire.
Most all after market shop will mount tire dealers will not. You will have to pully cause of its size. Here is a so so video

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Rollin, I'm guessing you didn't have the CT on for your big 4 IBA rides last year??

I really want to get one on my Vision. I get so frustrated trying to keep sizes and options straight. I don't think I've come across another Vision with a hitch and a CT. Do you KNOW of anyone?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Rollin, I'm guessing you didn't have the CT on for your big 4 IBA rides last year??

I really want to get one on my Vision. I get so frustrated trying to keep sizes and options straight. I don't think I've come across another Vision with a hitch and a CT. Do you KNOW of anyone?
I used the 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport on the IBA rides and the trip to Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have run CT's on many bikes and plan to on my Vision... my question is... now that I have lowered my rear 1" what size is best so there is no rubbing... or should I raise the bike again? Thanks.

PS... will be running a rear MT on the front end.

·
13,003 Posts
I lowered my vision by 1" and ride with 40psi in shock. Bottomed out once with lower air psi and cracked the inside bag. Covered the crack with black silicone. Never had a problem after that.

Mike
I have read wear guys running trailers use a narrower CT witch will give them about a 1/4" clearance on the trailer mounts.
I think it was a 185/55-16

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I'm trying to find that size. Are you saying that the 195 was too big when you bottomed out? If the 185 works with the hitch then my concern is the bottoming out since I am already much lower by nature with it being a Ness. Hence my overall research problem.

·
13,003 Posts
I bottomed out cause I lowered the bike and only had 20 psi in shock. Went over railroad tracks that had a dip on the other side.
The 195 CT is about identical to the 180 MC in hight

1 - 20 of 36 Posts