1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I have been on roads in northern Georgia that are every bit as thrilling as the Dragon, but have far less traffic and cops.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have been on roads in northern Georgia that are every bit as thrilling as the Dragon, but have far less traffic and cops.
Yea, but,,,,,,,,,do they have the snazzy t shirts?:ltr:

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hoping to ride the Cabot Trail this spring.

Some great roads I've been on (in no particular order);

US 2 from St. Ignace to Engadine in the Michigan U.P. Ride within 100 yards or less of the Lake Michigan shoreline

US 61 from Duluth to Grand Portage Minnesota.... Western shoreline of Lake Superior

Hwy 71 from Emo (hwy 11) to Kenora (hwy 17) in northwestern Ontario. Canadian Shield in the fall is spectacular and this highway skirts the eastern edges of Lake of the Woods

Hwy 128 and Arches Scenic Drive near Moab Utah. Amazing buttes and red rock vistas in the National Forest and winding roads along the Colorado River.

Man winter SUX! It's -20degC (-4degF) and I'm going through withdrawal symptoms now!

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
The traffic and cops are likely the reason for the drop in popularity. I'd like to go, and probably will- but yeah web surfing has made it seem like a tacky theme park at times... Hopefully the road itself is not becoming a sideshow..

·
Registered
780 Posts
He doesn't own a Victory, but the Twisted Sisters are close by my Dad's new pad in Canyon Lake Tx.

Bet they are fun on an FJR and / or a ZX-14

·
Registered
227 Posts
He doesn't own a Victory, but the Twisted Sisters are close by my Dad's new pad in Canyon Lake Tx.

Bet they are fun on an FJR and / or a ZX-14
Yes, rode part of them last year with my riding group, as we were heading out to a motorcycle museum in Vanderpool, TX nearby. They post signs counting the # of idiots that have lost their lives racing along the "Sisters" in the past few years.

Our group full of cruisers/touring bikes didn't have a problem with them. Nice country, beautiful ride.

This article seems to reference a different "Three Sisters" ride in Colorado?

D.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the area around the Dragon better than the dragon itself, I could spend a week there just riding roads in a 90 mile radius and never have a bad time.

Twisted Sisters (TX) was a great trip as well but a totally different style of riding.

Hitting the Pig Trail this summer hopefully, as well as the Black Hills and Yellowstone.

Any ride beats work :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hwy 71 from Emo (hwy 11) to Kenora (hwy 17) in northwestern Ontario. Canadian Shield in the fall is spectacular and this highway skirts the eastern edges of Lake of the Woods

Mike
It's been almost 50 years since I traveled the highways of Northern Ontario and have never done it on a bike but that will change in 3 years when I retire. I know (or should I say "knew") the areas of Kenora and Sudbury and in between very well in those days as I grew up in both places.

I also remember the gripping cold and snow there. Now all I get is rain, rain, rain ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pig Trail

I have ridden the Pig Trail several times. There are so many good roads in NW Arkansas that I wouldn't put this road at the top of the heap. If you are looking for a good challenging ride then try out the Arkansas Dragon just south of Harrison, AR. That or take Hwy 7 south and have a beautiful ride from Harrison to Hot Springs. Wherever you go in NW Arkansas you won't find a bad road and plenty of scenery.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have ridden the Pig Trail several times. There are so many good roads in NW Arkansas that I wouldn't put this road at the top of the heap. If you are looking for a good challenging ride then try out the Arkansas Dragon just south of Harrison, AR. That or take Hwy 7 south and have a beautiful ride from Harrison to Hot Springs. Wherever you go in NW Arkansas you won't find a bad road and plenty of scenery.
I was thinking the same thing. I ride NW Arkansas all the time and while the Pigs Trail is nice, my personal favorite is Hwy 123 over Mt Judea. The Pigs Trail is nice and needs to be ridden, but I'd put most of the roads around Jasper, AR above the Pigs Trail.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Actually, the Dragon finished a distant 4th overall in the USA Today poll with readers picking The Cabot Trail first and MY OWN local Pig Trail in NW Arkansas...which is pretty dang good.

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-motorcycle-trip/
Hey Arkie! Glad to see you are still around. I was getting worried that I had skeered you off or sumtin'. ;)

This year is the 75th anniversary for the Sturgis run. I imagine it will be both a nut house and rompin' good time.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still around Bob...Between retirement and COLD ASS WEATHER (which I hate)...and then losing our 14 year old Beagle...I just haven't posted much...HOWEVER, I check here everyday MULTIPLE times...

Still around ... Thanks for not scaring me off Bob. LOL

Hope you had a good holiday.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Still around Bob...Between retirement and COLD ASS WEATHER (which I hate)...and then losing our 14 year old Beagle...I just haven't posted much...HOWEVER, I check here everyday MULTIPLE times...

Still around ... Thanks for not scaring me off Bob. LOL

Hope you had a good holiday.
Oh man Arkie! So sorry to hear about your loss. As an avid dog lover and been through this more times than I care to remember; I feel your pain. It never gets easier but what I try to remember is those good years had together. It's such a shame that dogs, being on average better than the average person, don't live much longer than they do. Maybe it's just one more lesson they teach us. Losing someone who is a family member we love so much. Maybe, in a way, they prepare us for losing our human family members when that happens.

Not to sound cynical but I'm always glad to see the holidays in the rear view mirror. Things just settle back into a normal cadence I guess.

Congrats on your newly minted retirement. Now that you have nothing to do I bet you wonder how you managed to get everything done when you worked full time, eh! cheers

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I agree that the Pig Trail is a nice ride, Hwy 7 south of Harrison is better. It does have a bit more traffic than the Pig Trail though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good Rides

Highway 191(formerly Highway666) Morenci, AZ to Alpine, AZ. Check it out on Google Maps. Twisties, elevations, scenery

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've really gotta plan me some vacations.

The problem with being in the middle of TX is that it takes a full day to get ANYWHERE! :soapbox:

D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts