Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these things {Victory's} oil burners ? Mine has 5709 miles on it..and the PO said he had it serviced @ approx 4500. And today it was down 1qt+ ? I had a ck/eng light the other day [briefly] checking the oil hot,& on the side stand, I thought it was ok. But today [warm] and propped level it was down.

Like to know who was the dumb ass that put the dip-stick where it is...RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXHAUST....and designed it to be checked level.....piss-poor engineering IMO.

Another question...what are the accepted oil substitutes for Vic oil ? @ $11.00 a quart, and a dealer 40 miles away...?? I'd like to switch to full-syn...Likely Castrol GTX or Edge will be fine....used it in metric wet-clutch bikes before without any problems. Just thought I'd ask the more experienced here...thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Rotella T6 5w/40 is a good alternative .... 21.00 @ wally world for a gallon , full syn too !

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I hear a lot of complaints about having to check the oil on the bike while it's level. But I've yet to hear about a bike that does not require such. By all means, someone prove me wrong if that's the case. Yeah, the dipstick is in a good place for getting a 2nd-degree burn on your hand if you follow Vic instructions for checking oil level. Could be worse. It could have a sight glass and have to be checked level like my Kawasaki did.

I've never noticed any oil consumption in either of the Vics. Didn't have the Vegas for long, sure, but it never used any.

Castrol's MC oil formulations are called Power RS or Act>Evo and fully synthetic 10w-40 and 20w-50 viscosities are available. I'm not aware of a Castrol Edge formulation that is JASO-MA spec...doesn't mean there isn't one. I just haven't come across it. I did a little research and it seems the 10w-40 is NOT JASO-MA, but i had to look at several different sites to find that info. Without the bottle in front of me, I will withhold judgment.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear a lot of complaints about having to check the oil on the bike while it's level. But I've yet to hear about a bike that does not require such. By all means, someone prove me wrong if that's the case. Yeah, the dipstick is in a good place for getting a 2nd-degree burn on your hand if you follow Vic instructions for checking oil level. Could be worse. It could have a sight glass and have to be checked level like my Kawasaki did.

I've never noticed any oil consumption in either of the Vics. Didn't have the Vegas for long, sure, but it never used any.

Castrol's MC oil formulations are called Power RS or Act>Evo and fully synthetic 10w-40 and 20w-50 viscosities are available. I'm not aware of a Castrol Edge formulation that is JASO-MA spec...doesn't mean there isn't one. I just haven't come across it. I did a little research and it seems the 10w-40 is NOT JASO-MA, but i had to look at several different sites to find that info. Without the bottle in front of me, I will withhold judgment.

Different folks as they say :) I always thought the sight glass was easier. I used a mirror while sitting on the bikes...

With the dipstick it could have been engineered to be checked tilted. Can't remember for sure but I believe Honda ? is....

should be able to determine how. Check it full /level....tilt it & note the level of the oil on the stick...then I'll know where it should be tilted & warm....didn't think of that when I was doing it..but will .

I hope the consumption is rare [break-in] ? or I also wonder if the dealer that did the 5000 mi service may not have filled it to proper level ? I'll keep a close eye on it

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Different folks as they say :) I always thought the sight glass was easier. I used a mirror while sitting on the bikes...
HA! I never though of using a mirror. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Now that is fookin BRILLIANT!

I was just thinking today after I changed the oil in my FJR about how I prefer site glasses to those idiotic dip sticks. But I don't prefer the one on my FJR as I have to curl up in a little fetal ball beneath the motorcycle to see it. And then I have to try to lift the bike off the stand and make it perpendicular from the vantage point of my little fetal ball.

I do however have a mirror on a telescopic arm and I'm stoopified that it never occurred to me to use it from atop the seat.

Gawd, tricks like this make sifting thru all the hateful dumbshit posts worthwhile.

Thanks dood!

·
Registered
43 Posts
just put the rotella in the other day seems quieter runs a little cooler but only 1000 miles in

·
13,236 Posts
why does the oil have to be warm or hot to check it.
Why not put a 2x4 under kickstand and check when cold.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hear a lot of complaints about having to check the oil on the bike while it's level. But I've yet to hear about a bike that does not require such. By all means, someone prove me wrong if that's the case.

I'm a new guy here but an "older" HD guy. The oil in HD's is to be checked with the bike on the side stand.

·
Registered
784 Posts
No they aren't really known to use oil. They do seem easy to over/under fill though.

Any wet clutch compatible JASO MA/MA2 oil will work. I like a certain brand but won't join in the fight.

Agreed the checking procedure is a pain, but most are. Start with a KNOWN acceptable level. Let the bike cool overnight, pull the stick and place your own mark on it. It is doing the same thing in the same way and getting a result, not that hard.

A note from the guy who did it, DO NOT get carried away with filling the crank case. It will flow enough residue into the vent to scare the begeebers out of you. Oil will be flowing down the vents on the jugs and it can be a bear to spot the problem. Well, more an annoyance when you figure it out but refer to the third sentence of this paragraph.

Don't get annoyed or panic too soon, there are plenty of helpful folks here and many times things aren't as bad as they seem on the surface, or it is just something we all had to learn to live with.

Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the 2X4 thing to level...the warm up is due to oil expanding when warm.

You can check cold...once you determine the norm...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Checking the oil when level is so much easier than some seem to be doing. Take out the dipstick and wipe it dry. Put the dipstick back in then get on the bike and stand it up level for a few seconds so the oil can register on the dipstick. Put it back on the side stand, get off and take out the dipstick and check it. All the oil does not have time to travel back down the shaft in the 5 seconds it takes to do that. It will be the same. I sometimes find the oil hard to see so I just lay the dipstick flat on a piece of paper towel and the level shows up right away. Never a problem. By the way, the oil expands when it's hot but not a lot. Check it hot and make sure it's where you feel it's right. When the bike cools off check it again. It will be down a touch but I've never had a bike where the difference from hot to cold is very much. From now on you can check it cold just keep it in the top half of the range.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I only have 14900 miles on my Vision but so far it has not burned enough oil to notice it on the dipstick. There must be some consumption, oil rings are not perfect, but I have never seen oil level move enough to notice it. If you have noticeable oil consumption something is wrong, at least in my book.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Checking the oil when level is so much easier than some seem to be doing. Take out the dipstick and wipe it dry. Put the dipstick back in then get on the bike and stand it up level for a few seconds so the oil can register on the dipstick. Put it back on the side stand, get off and take out the dipstick and check it. All the oil does not have time to travel back down the shaft in the 5 seconds it takes to do that. It will be the same. I sometimes find the oil hard to see so I just lay the dipstick flat on a piece of paper towel and the level shows up right away. Never a problem. By the way, the oil expands when it's hot but not a lot. Check it hot and make sure it's where you feel it's right. When the bike cools off check it again. It will be down a touch but I've never had a bike where the difference from hot to cold is very much. From now on you can check it cold just keep it in the top half of the range.
That's how I checked mine. Very easy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts

All recent HD's oil is check on the side stand. Very nice setup actually.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
Y'all do realize you need to wait ten minutes, 20 is better, for the oil to settle before taking an oil reading right?

Yup. Also have to take it sitting straight up. I tried to use the method of taking the reading with it on the side stand and noting where it read but it was not consistent. I think VJ has the right idea about using a 2x4 or 2x6 to set the side stand on. It gives it a much more consistent reading IMHO.

FWIW: I all but stopped taking oil readings on either of my Vic's after years of it just staying the same all the time. I'm probably gonna get screwed by my over confidence in the machines but... oh well. ;) I will take a reading before doing any kind of open road mileage though. I do hate to break down for something so basic.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree
What's the big deal if it's hot or cold?
Does Vic oil expand a lot when hot?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts