Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they say that over 143 million Americans or almost 50% of the whole USA got exposed to hackers a couple months ago. I checked the site and sure enough it said my files were exposed. Has any one else been exposed? What have you done about it? A credit freeze? Credit monitoring?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
So they say that over 143 million Americans or almost 50% of the whole USA got exposed to hackers a couple months ago. I checked the site and sure enough it said my files were exposed. Has any one else been exposed? What have you done about it? A credit freeze? Credit monitoring?
My wife and I are on the exposure list. My information has not been used, but the wife, just last week, had two grand worth of charges on her credit card. The bank contacted her and all is well. I have my accounts set up in a way that ANY charges need authorization from me via phonecall. It's scary for sure.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was not fortunately. But I did take advantage of locking down my credit for free.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was not fortunately. But I did take advantage of locking down my credit for free.
Did you do this for free ONLY with Equifax or at all three credit rating bureaus. I was under the impression that you could only "lock down" your credit for free at Equifax. The other two continue to charge for this unless you have been a reasonably recent victim of identity theft and can demonstrate this via a police report. Did I miss a memo and now the other two are offering free credit freezes? Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife and I are on the exposure list. My information has not been used, but the wife, just last week, had two grand worth of charges on her credit card. The bank contacted her and all is well. I have my accounts set up in a way that ANY charges need authorization from me via phonecall. It's scary for sure.
2k already????

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
2k already????
Dick's sporting goods, Dunhams sports, and many, MANY shoes from various websites. She got a phone call within an hour of the purchases.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dick's sporting goods, Dunhams sports, and many, MANY shoes from various websites. She got a phone call within an hour of the purchases.

Wow that is just crazy and very sad to hear. I'm glad that it was caught quickly and that you and your wife were able to get this in the reversed. Do you believe this was directly related to the Equifax hack or do you think it was just a random coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Wow that is just crazy and very sad to hear. I'm glad that it was caught quickly and that you and your wife were able to get this in the reversed. Do you believe this was directly related to the Equifax hack or do you think it was just a random coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't be certain, but if it IS a coincidence, it's a big mamma jamma. Like you said, it was caught quickly and all is well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Wow, the crooks were buying shoes. Given the number of shoes my wife buys, that would NEVER have been caught by the automatic systems the credit card companies used to detec fraud. It would have looked completely normal :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was one of the ones exposed, and boy has it pissed me off. I have taken the steps to freeze my credit will all the of the companies, and it has cost me around $100 bucks to do so. Cheap insurance for sure. I was victimized with identity theft about 10 years ago, and it took me a couple of years to get that all cleared up. So a few phone calls, and a small amount of money is well worth the peace of mind that comes afterwards. I do think it is ridiculous that pure negligence on their part was the reason this breach was even possible. The fact that we have no way to not participate in these companies while they broker our personal information is distressing, and should come with very stringent expectations that they will lock down that information to the furthest extent possible, no matter what the cost to them. It just reminds me that the more off the grid that we can be, the better off we will be. Shame, but that is the truth as I see it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was one of the ones exposed, and boy has it pissed me off. I have taken the steps to freeze my credit will all the of the companies, and it has cost me around $100 bucks to do so. Cheap insurance for sure. I was victimized with identity theft about 10 years ago, and it took me a couple of years to get that all cleared up. So a few phone calls, and a small amount of money is well worth the peace of mind that comes afterwards. I do think it is ridiculous that pure negligence on their part was the reason this breach was even possible. The fact that we have no way to not participate in these companies while they broker our personal information is distressing, and should come with very stringent expectations that they will lock down that information to the furthest extent possible, no matter what the cost to them. It just reminds me that the more off the grid that we can be, the better off we will be. Shame, but that is the truth as I see it.

Man it's so crappy that you went through that stuff. And 10 years ago crooks and criminals and hackers didn't know anything like they know today. How are we supposed to trust the institutions that other institutions trust when they can't even keep their security up to par? Ultimately this is all about profits. When did consumers ever agree to allow third-party come between us and our creditors.... for example credit reporting agency's.....

Sent from the Void that is My Soul!!!!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Wow, the crooks were buying shoes. Given the number of shoes my wife buys, that would NEVER have been caught by the automatic systems the credit card companies used to detec fraud. It would have looked completely normal :)

G'day,

Vinish
That's funny! Roughly 12 years ago, someone in Arkansas tried to buy a Mini Cooper with my info. A bank teller, at the credit union I use, called me about it. She asked me about it and I out loud said the letters "W T F?" Her chuckled response was "I'll take that as you did not purchase a Mini Cooper in Arkansas then..."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's funny! Roughly 12 years ago, someone in Arkansas tried to buy a Mini Cooper with my info. A bank teller, at the credit union I use, called me about it. She asked me about it and I out loud said the letters "W T F?" Her chuckled response was "I'll take that as you did not purchase a Mini Cooper in Arkansas then..."

"So this Mini Cooper and a bank teller walk into a bar in Arkansas......."

Sent from the Void that is My Soul!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts