Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tell you, I have been on lots of bikes in my time and this Kingpin is up at the very top all time bikes for fun, handling, and power when upgraded. And I figured I'd somewhat made my peace with the end of the Vic line but....

I was out yesterday and this bike still just amazes me in all respects, in spite of some of the little nigglers that frustrate me like a clunky shift from N to 1 or 1-2 or the tappity top end. Slap the Lloydz cams and TT and tune it via PCV or ECU and not only is thing a serious ripper it feels comfortable and corners like a gem.

A few weeks back this thing got me over the Mackinac Bridge in 50+ MPH winds...in a flash heavy rain...on a wet steel grate. Intact, and it kept me upright...well almost upright considering the angles I had to ride with the winds and still try to keep rubber on the metal lol.

It simply p!sses me off that they stopped this in 2012 to prepare for the Great Indian Scalping of 2016. Not only is it a joy to ride it is just built well. There is not a single Indian model out there I would swap this bike for. Not 1 Indian model fits me this well or can handle like this bike.

In fact no matter what other bike I may add to my collection...this one has to stay. I can see why they decided to drop it for Indian 1st because I have had lots of people think it WAS an Indian. Hell, if they slapped an Injun sticker on it and kept it...I would be fine with that if they never changed the engineering and dynamics. At least the dumbasses would still have a customer.

The only thing that would cause me to lose it is if I physically could not ride anymore. I just seethe thinking about the Polaris decision to drop the KP years back, much more the entire line of bikes. I think it is the best combo between a steel frame and aluminum frame for long trips and feel. Seriously, even if Polaris still sold Vic...it would p!ss me off to be on the last year model.

It was simply asinine to end this bike in 2012 much more the entire line later on. I get compliments all the time from various people, but even if I didn't this bike suits my frame well and is truly close to a perfect bike in the things that make me enjoy riding. It was no wonder they were hard to find used before the Wine plan to replace with Indian. People didn't let them go often. Now I know why.

Effin Polaris... either way this sleek powerhouse is a true jewel. I don't think I've ever had a bike I was this attached to overall. A few times I thought about swapping or selling etc...but then I remember the feel of engine and the pulling of the bars, the raw feel of this bike and dammit...what can replace it? This model is simply a bike riders joy.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Yep it really sucks.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Pictured below is my friend Timmy (in Kyle's Slingshot). Timmy has been a motorcycle enthusiast all his life as was his father before him. Between the two of them they own a couple dozen motorcycles, everything from Harley to BMW and a couple of sidecar rigs too.

I put Timmy on the Kingpin one day. Hell, I didn't think I was getting it back! Couldn't get him off of it. He was in AWE of how competent the bike is. He absolutely raved about it all day. From the riding position to the chassis/suspension/brakes/handling to the trans/gearing to the engine... I've never seen the guy so excited. "I had no idea a cruiser could be this good". Like a teenager that just had his first piece of ass! He followed me home (I was on his XR 1200) so he could get more seat time. I told him to trade bikes with me for a couple of days, but he was leaving town the next day I think.

That's what I consider a real compliment. He knows bikes... He appreciated the Kingpin... Too bad the motorcycle buying public didn't "get it" at all...

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictured below is my friend Timmy (in Kyle's Slingshot). Timmy has been a motorcycle enthusiast all his life as was his father before him. Between the two of them they own a couple dozen motorcycles, everything from Harley to BMW and a couple of sidecar rigs too.

I put Timmy on the Kingpin one day. Hell, I didn't think I was getting it back! Couldn't get him off of it. He was in AWE of how competent the bike is. He absolutely raved about it all day. From the riding position to the chassis/suspension/brakes/handling to the trans/gearing to the engine... I've never seen the guy so excited. "I had no idea a cruiser could be this good". Like a teenager that just had his first piece of ass! He followed me home (I was on his XR 1200) so he could get more seat time. I told him to trade bikes with me for a couple of days, but he was leaving town the next day I think.

That's what I consider a real compliment. He knows bikes... He appreciated the Kingpin... Too bad the motorcycle buying public didn't "get it" at all...
Agreed. I have had a few guys who have ridden even before I was born tell me the same thing about the Pin. Few HD guys were simply taken back for the same reasons you mentioned. They had no idea a cruiser could feel and perform like that. Even Vic guys who never rode one say the same thing after they ride it. One guy I ride with from time to time from a neighboring state said he had dreams about the bike that were plaguing him after he rode it...lol

I work from home so I don't get out much during the weekdays at all. My test ride sucked as it was a drizzly wet foggy day in December. But it told me enough about the bike that I paid cash and rode it home. But the next time I had clean streets I took her out around 32 degrees and thats when that thing got my serious attention. I walked back in and Kath said how did it go? I said I cannot believe the handling on this bike....its as good as my last BMW and feels like a 750 under way.

Now I have ( Thanks To Lloyd and the advice given by other Vic guys) the power in it the damn thing is simply addicting coupled with the comfort and handling. And that's even two up. Even the passengers say its comfortable. . Only a KP owner can appreciate that! :)

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I have to agree.... My Jackpot rides better then my CCT... Double time... No lie.... I can't believe the difference.... On the CCT it feels like this frame has his wobbly boots on... That's an Australian expression... But you get my point...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I have to agree.... My Jackpot rides better then my CCT... Double time... No lie.... I can't believe the difference.... On the CCT it feels like this frame has his wobbly boots on... That's an Australian expression... But you get my point...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
the wobbly boot = drunk
soon as my axle arrives Ill have a VEGAPIN .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
On the CCT it feels like this frame has his wobbly boots on...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Get it checked out Andre , there is something wrong with it ..... No lie , mine has a rock solid feel and outstanding road handling .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get it checked out Andre , there is something wrong with it ..... No lie , mine has a rock solid feel and outstanding road handling .
I have to agree. I can't believe how easily this great big pig of a bagger carves up corners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After seeing the new Harley lineup I'm pissed off all over again at Polaris' neglect and ultimate killing of the Victory line. I love my my Cross Country but it's dated. It was in production for 8 model years and they didn't do **** to improve it. Then they killed the KP, arguably their best cruiser, probably because like Kurbs says, it looked too much like an Indian.

I have to say I'm a little jealous. I look at the new HDs, and I look at my XC and I see the cheesy LCD display, the tacked-on switches and wires hanging all over the handlebars, the clunky transmission and torque compensator that they never did get get right, and it pales in comparison in the refinement department. Like I said, I love this bike, and it was, in my opinion, the best thing on the road in 2011.

What could have been...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What could have been...
No kidding. They started so sleek which was the good part. Makes you wonder what some [email protected] and marketing could have done to these bikes. People can say what they like about HD but they know what the market wants and they know to manipulate the name.

·
Registered
69 Posts
People can say what they like about HD but they know what the market wants and they know to manipulate the name.
And I have to say I think they're doing a good job of trying to move into the future. They're constrained by their "base", for sure, but they're certainly not sitting on their laurels.

I rode a 2003 Superglide for 12 years before I got the XC. I loved that bike; it was a ton of fun, but it's nothing like the XC for the kind of riding I want to do now.

I get a kick out of the guys who are all pissed off at the demise of the Dyna. If I was 49 years old like I was when I bought the FXD I'd be all over the new Lowrider.

The thing is, Polaris dropped Victory in favor of Indian, which is a step backwards technologically, and HD dropped the Dyna in favor of the new cruiser platform, which is a huge step forward.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Road handling yes rock solid, it is when I take it out of the garage and for sample shake the handlebars

Can't let people check anything, the Indian / victory dealer is closed sins last year, and I'm a better mechanic then the victory mechanic here on the island

There is nothing wrong with the CCT but it is just that the steel frames feel " more solid " (if I'm allowed to say that without pissing anybody off)

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Road handling yes rock solid, it is when I take it out of the garage and for sample shake the handlebars

Can't let people check anything, the Indian / victory dealer is closed sins last year, and I'm a better mechanic then the victory mechanic here on the island

There is nothing wrong with the CCT but it is just that the steel frames feel " more solid " (if I'm allowed to say that without pissing anybody off)

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I'm Pissed ! :mad: ........................................................................:ltr:

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I'm Pissed ! :mad: ........................................................................:ltr:
O
E
P
S

See told you there was a chance for that?

Smile... PS, i love my CCT ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Haven't ridden a Kingpin? Makes a Jackpot feel like a wheel barrow.
Now that is a good point, how awesome victory is, was, has-been.... How good these old models were from factory, USD forks, no Nanny technology restrictions, and then all models never evolved, and pulled the plug.... Just amazingly sad...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I reckon my Vegas is gonna be the best when the Kingpin forks and fender go on, also got the Series regulator coming from [email protected], rang him today, nice bloke to chat with, he posted my SH847 this morning.
With the 180/55/18 rear and 130/70/18 front, the Progressive 465 rear shock and USD forks, it's gonna be a dream ride combining all the best handling features of the steel frame bikes...:smile

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I reckon my Vegas is gonna be the best when the Kingpin forks and fender go on, also got the Series regulator coming from [email protected], rang him today, nice bloke to chat with, he posted my SH847 this morning.
With the 180/55/18 rear and 130/70/18 front, the Progressive 465 rear shock and USD forks, it's gonna be a dream ride combining all the best handling features of the steel frame bikes...:smile
The best thing for the bike after you get those upgrades done is a pair of these....

BRIDGESTONE G851F 130/70ZR-18 M/C 63W, FRONT

BRIDGESTONE G850R 180/55ZR-18 M/C 74W, REAR

unfuckingbelievable

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 30 Posts