Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
BBob, are you an NMA member? I have been one since the CRTL days. I don't understand why every enthusiast driver and rider is not a member. NMA is the ONLY advocacy for us motorists that exists in this country.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're right. I should be one. I'll look into it but I'm a strict budget right now while I try to save up for a trip to Montana this Summer.

Edit: At $35 a year I think it's worth it to fight unfair and unjust tickets and help others do the same. I think I can swing it within the next month or so.

Like when they rate the speed limit of any given road; they are thinking of the worst driver and rig on the road like some 80 yo in a 50 foot motor home. They aren't thinking about an experience motorcycle rider who could run circles around grandpa in his RV.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I have learned through the NMA that unless a speed limit has been established scientifically, that is, by doing a traffic survey and determining the 85th percentile and setting the speed at that, it is an illegal speed. Here in Oregon, every one of our speeds has been set by political whim. If and when I ever get a speeding ticket here, my defense will be that the speed is an illegal one according to the Federal Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices and I will ask for the prosecution to produce the traffic studies to show otherwise. Whenever that is brought up, the cases are always dismissed. Why? Because if they aren't, the decisions can be appealed all the way to the State Supreme Court and that could be the end to arbitrary and underposted speed limits. I leaned all that by being a member of the National Motorists Association.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that about Oregon. Must be a lot fogies forcing those low speed limits.

Down here we get a lot Oregonians during snow bird season. They drive me crazy (pun intended) by driving under the speed limit all the time. Us locals usually drive/ride about 4-5 mph over on the main arteries through town which the roads can easily handle. Young female drivers on their cell phones do the same thing.

That's good info about how the speed limits are set.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I've heard that about Oregon. Must be a lot fogies forcing those low speed limits.

Nope, just a very incestuous relationship between most of our legislators and the public employee unions that got them in to office. That includes police unions too, my friend.

·
13,002 Posts
I looked up my state and citys and 100% right on.
I guess they have to make money :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts