Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe I am misreading but:

1. New hard, adjustibale ventialted lowers for buffeting thumb up

2, Standard (on the Tour) heated seat and grips.

3. ABS

4. Standard rear trunk

5. The Vision Tour is now CHEAPER by $1000 cheers Seems we know where theyre going??

6. Higher Windshield.

7. Adjustable passenger fooboards.

I think there is more, but it seems like the XC Tour is the new class leader for Victory.

YAHOOOOooooo:D:Dcheers

Seems like they tried to address all the issues:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I agree Greg. Sounds like Ma Vic was listening and addressed many of the issues their XC buyers presented.

Only one caveat for me. They based everything, as far as buffeting control, on the round tube crash bars.

I'd be completely ok with that as long as they had a counterpart of parts to match up with the forged crash bars.

It just doesn't make sense the way they approached this issue unless they are prepared to offer free round tube crash bars to anyone wanting the lowers and fairing-mounted winglets.

I have come to love Victory but this just makes no sense at all!

I would really like to know their reasoning for this very strange twist on their engineering and design.

Just sayin'...

As of right now; I'm very disappointed in the way this lower wind control was rolled out and cannot for the life of me imagine why they would throw everyone who has bought the XC and XR buyers who opted for the forged crash bars under the bus with this round tube only design. Again; it makes no sense at all.

It's probably like those politicians in DC. No clue about what it's like on the street.

Someone needs to have a serious heart to heart with those who made this decision and then make it right for their customers.

As of right now; I'm kinda mad and a lot disappointed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Only one caveat for me. They based everything, as far as buffeting control, on the round tube crash bars.

I'd be completely ok with that as long as they had a counterpart of parts to match up with the forged crash bars.
I think the decision to roll with the round crash bars is more to do with gaining more market share and less about existing customers. I would imagine someone will adapt the lowers to the forged crash bars at some point, but the XC Tour seems squarely aimed at the Ultra Glide crew. If you ask 10 Harley riders what they don't like about the existing XC, all 10 will point to the forged bars and say "what's that for."

It's sad but true. Vic's business is staying in business, and that means selling more bikes, and gaining a larger market share.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's sad but true. Vic's business is staying in business, and that means selling more bikes, and gaining a larger market share.

I hope you are kidding, The most important thing for all of us as Vic owners/riders is that they DO STAY in business

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't originally notice the round bars requirement, and agree iy is dissapointing:( Will have to wait and see how the bike looks in person since I have already mostly solved the buffeting issue for me. Will have to test ride one when they get to the dealers.

I really like the ABS brakes, which almost stopped me from buying one in the 1st place. I wonder if they are linked like the Vision?

I wonder how much it would cost to retrofit the round bars plus their nre lowers? Anyone have a part book (I am traveling).

What I found most interesting is there seeimg to position it ahead of the Vision. Almost no changes to the vision, they dropped the 8 ball model, and dropped the price. I wonder if it will be dropped entire;y in a year or so?

·
Registered
53 Posts

I hope you are kidding, The most important thing for all of us as Vic owners/riders is that they DO STAY in business
Of course I'm kidding. About the "sad" part. Everything else is dead serious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'll probably convert my '10 to use the new wind management system. It's a helluva lot cheaper than trading it in for the Tour.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is an impressive list of upgrades, now all Victory needs to do is fire their maaco painters and design team. The paint quality on Victorys flat out stinks, it is so inferior to a Harley...Even with the Ness Edition XC it still can not compete with anything that comes out of CVO.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM VICTORY AND IMPROVE THE DESIGN AND PAINT QUALITY.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is an impressive list of upgrades, now all Victory needs to do is fire their maaco painters and design team. The paint quality on Victorys flat out stinks, it is so inferior to a Harley...Even with the Ness Edition XC it still can not compete with anything that comes out of CVO.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM VICTORY AND IMPROVE THE DESIGN AND PAINT QUALITY.
Not sure I would agree on the amount of difference,(don't think the paint "stinks") but would agree the CVO is superior. I was at the local Harley dealership last weekend (I have three Harleys), the the CVO Ultra was $37,000. This for a bike with crappy suspension and less power. For me, handling and performance are way more important than a fancy paint job. I'll take the Vic paint and $15k any day:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have seen several XC's and Hammers 2010 and the clear was turning yellow on the paint. Vic and the dealer did nothing to help the owners.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
sorry...no koolaid glasses....just yellowing of the clear on the bikes...I asked the owners...nothing spilled on the front fender or tank..looks like a bad batch of Q/C from Victory.

Ya, but you were looking at them through koolaid glasses:ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
851 Posts
...Only one caveat for me. They based everything, as far as buffeting control, on the round tube crash bars.

It just doesn't make sense the way they approached this issue unless they are prepared to offer free round tube crash bars to anyone wanting the lowers and fairing-mounted winglets.
I disagree. The round bars are a $349.99 while the forged are $599.99. As far as I know the extra $250 is 100% style with no additional protection.

The hard lowers pretty much cover the bars up which would negate the styling reason for having the forged bars.

Since this is pretty much a new option and they probably envision everyone leaving the hard lowers on all the time; to me it wouldn't make sense to design the hard lowers around the forged bars since that would add another $250ish to the cost for no additional value.

I know that sucks for everyone who has forged bars but there is always eBay and Craig's list to try and recoup some of the difference.

Maybe if enough people complained they would design a similar add on for the forged bars. But since they probably don't think there is much interest you would have to show there is a demand before they would invest in designing and manufacturing.

BTW, my personal complaint about the 2012s is they appearently didn't address the clutch cable snapping. I'm looking at dropping $400 to modify my bike to a hydraulic clutch (one I can convince Momma that is :p)

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I disagree. The round bars are a $349.99 while the forged are $599.99. As far as I know the extra $250 is 100% style with no additional protection.

The hard lowers pretty much cover the bars up which would negate the styling reason for having the forged bars.

Since this is pretty much a new option and they probably envision everyone leaving the hard lowers on all the time; to me it wouldn't make sense to design the hard lowers around the forged bars since that would add another $250ish to the cost for no additional value.

I know that sucks for everyone who has forged bars but there is always eBay and Craig's list to try and recoup some of the difference.

Maybe if enough people complained they would design a similar add on for the forged bars. But since they probably don't think there is much interest you would have to show there is a demand before they would invest in designing and manufacturing.

BTW, my personal complaint about the 2012s is they appearently didn't address the clutch cable snapping. I'm looking at dropping $400 to modify my bike to a hydraulic clutch (one I can convince Momma that is :p)
Actually the forged bars offer much more protection. Have you ever seen the tube bars bent back after a crash. The forged bars are much stronger and offer much better tip over protection.

I see they also put the rear saddlebag lowers/tip over protection on the XCT. I'm sure they did this to make up for the lack of protection the front tube bars offer.

I may do this change later but there's no real rush or pressing need for it (for me at least) right now.

I'm glad the ABS brakes aren't linked like they are on the Vision. Makes for a better handling machine in the twisties.

I think the clutch cable issue has already been addressed. Does yours have the little black Teflon pieces on the barrel ends?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see there are many new improvements and accessories. I hope the accessories continue to improve, especially the performance air filter that's now made in Vietnam. Just wrong!

·
Registered
679 Posts
BTW, my personal complaint about the 2012s is they appearently didn't address the clutch cable snapping. I'm looking at dropping $400 to modify my bike to a hydraulic clutch (one I can convince Momma that is )

I haven't heard of any clutch cable problems on the 2010's I think that was just on the 2008 and earlier:confused:

·
Registered
851 Posts
BTW, my personal complaint about the 2012s is they appearently didn't address the clutch cable snapping. I'm looking at dropping $400 to modify my bike to a hydraulic clutch (one I can convince Momma that is )

I haven't heard of any clutch cable problems on the 2010's I think that was just on the 2008 and earlier:confused:
I've read a lot about cable snaps and remember that Cross Country/Roads were mentioned in the posts. But after you and BBob stated that you thought the problem was already addressed I went back and did a quick search for the forum posts. Most of the snaps were on older rides, some didn't mention what they were riding at all, and I didn't find anyone report a snap on a XC/XR. I guess the combination of reading about so many snaps and seeing the XC/XR have their own "Sav Ur Ride" cable just made me nervous :rolleyes:

I might still buy the spare cable "just in case" but hold off on the hydraulic clutch mod until I actually have a problem.

Thanks for pointing that out to me cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've read a lot about cable snaps and remember that Cross Country/Roads were mentioned in the posts. But after you and BBob stated that you thought the problem was already addressed I went back and did a quick search for the forum posts. Most of the snaps were on older rides, some didn't mention what they were riding at all, and I didn't find anyone report a snap on a XC/XR. I guess the combination of reading about so many snaps and seeing the XC/XR have their own "Sav Ur Ride" cable just made me nervous :rolleyes:

I might still buy the spare cable "just in case" but hold off on the hydraulic clutch mod until I actually have a problem.

Thanks for pointing that out to me cheers
I do carry a save your ride emergency cable. It is the inner core wire with the ends so if your oem cable breaks you can slide in the new core wire into your existing housing and get you home. You sleep better with this in the saddle bagcheers

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do carry a save your ride emergency cable. It is the inner core wire with the ends so if your oem cable breaks you can slide in the new core wire into your existing housing and get you home. You sleep better with this in the saddle bagcheers

Where can you get this cable - this would be a great addition to the tour pack...cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts