Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The round crash bars are $350, the hard lowers $800 and the new wind management deflectors are $150, so $1300 at retail (plus tax). $1050 at Maxims. Not cheap but could be worth it? I had these on my RoadGlide (from Harley they were $650 new), and they worked great.

Be interesting to see how well the whole Vic system works. Any comparos yet?

When do the 2012s get to the dealers? Anyone know?

·
Registered
72 Posts
On of the reasons I like the XC is the design of the forged lowers. Wish Victory made an option for hard lowers that fit those instead of reverting back to typical round bars.

@xcanada - Victory still has the highway pegs that mount to the bottom of the floorboards. I'm like you though and have longer legs so I've gotta go with mine mounted on the bar for a bit more stretching room.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The round crash bars are $350, the hard lowers $800 and the new wind management deflectors are $150, so $1300 at retail (plus tax). $1050 at Maxims. Not cheap but could be worth it? I had these on my RoadGlide (from Harley they were $650 new), and they worked great.

Be interesting to see how well the whole Vic system works. Any comparos yet?

When do the 2012s get to the dealers? Anyone know?
I'm definitely interested in adding the wind management system to my '10. I prefer the looks of the existing bars but I'm willing to move to the round crash bars to get the deflectors.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm definitely interested in adding the wind management system to my '10. I prefer the looks of the existing bars but I'm willing to move to the round crash bars to get the deflectors.
Baker Air wings mount inside the forged bars for the XC. They manage the wind excellent. I would like to talk to someone who has used the hard closeouts in 90+ degree weather. I know with the air wings if I couldn't open them up in the heat, it would make riding very uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Added the Vic fairing mounted wind deflectors to mine yesterday. Not quite as effective as the full lowers I had on, but they also do not seal in all the engine heat. Had a little issue with wind going up my sleeve, but wore my vest today, and it was great. Think my lowers are going to stay on the shelf till winter

BTW I had already removed the highway bars right after I got the bike

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baker Air wings mount inside the forged bars for the XC. They manage the wind excellent. I would like to talk to someone who has used the hard closeouts in 90+ degree weather. I know with the air wings if I couldn't open them up in the heat, it would make riding very uncomfortable.
I have the Baker Wings as well as the Cee Bailey ones. The Bakers are generic and dont fill the open area and dont really fit all that well, but are less expensive.

Assuming I don't actually buy a 2012, I will buy the Vic hard lowers and deflectors. Current plan (as of today) is to return the Baker Wings. Not knocking them, just not for me.

The Baker Wings would, in my opinion, work excellent in hot weather. I grew up in Phoenix, but now live in SoCal. I just don't ride in really hot weather now.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
You're right on about the Baker's Greg. They are effective in the heat and only provide basic lower leg protection when the wings are turned flat against the wind. Seems to be enough for me personally but we have super mild Winters where it gets over 60o all Winter/fall/spring.

I'm always experimenting though...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought my Bakers for summer use. I have the soft lowers which will provide better wind protection when the weather turns cold. I want to see those hard lowers in person and hear from folks who buy the 2012 Tour model.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bought my Bakers for summer use. I have the soft lowers which will provide better wind protection when the weather turns cold. I want to see those hard lowers in person and hear from folks who buy the 2012 Tour model.
Exactly the same thing I am going to do. When winter comes the bakers go on the shelf, and the soft lowers will be on. I also run the Vic oem lowers with the bakers. It works very well for me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right on about the Baker's Greg. They are effective in the heat and only provide basic lower leg protection when the wings are turned flat against the wind. Seems to be enough for me personally but we have super mild Winters where it gets over 60o all Winter/fall/spring.

I'm always experimenting though...

BBob, your Baker Wings mount differently than mine...closer to the engine. Mine are the ones Baker advertises as specifically for the XC. Did you modify your bracket?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Added the Vic fairing mounted wind deflectors to mine yesterday. Not quite as effective as the full lowers I had on, but they also do not seal in all the engine heat. Had a little issue with wind going up my sleeve, but wore my vest today, and it was great. Think my lowers are going to stay on the shelf till winter

BTW I had already removed the highway bars right after I got the bike
Kevin, any idea when dealers will get the XC Tour? I called one local dealer yesterday and the guy I spoke with had no idea.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
BBob, your Baker Wings mount differently than mine...closer to the engine. Mine are the ones Baker advertises as specifically for the XC. Did you modify your bracket?
The Baker's I got were the generic Cruiser kit that came with the clamps for the tube type crash bars. BTW; anyone wanting this kit instead of the dedicated XC kit can call them and ask them to hold back the clamps to make the kit less expensive.

I didn't use the clamps obviously and I only needed to find the two bolts to bolt the kit to the outer part of the crash bars. I have tried many different configurations of the deflector pieces and found the large one on top and bolted to the top mount to be best for my needs.

Here's the left one. Pardon the dirty but ridden bike. ;) At some point I'll get the hardware powder coated black.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like the effectiveness of the Baker wings, no doubt, but they're more function than form (nice way for me to say they're kind of ugly). The Vic lowers are much better looking and they also include the storage areas.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I like the effectiveness of the Baker wings, no doubt, but they're more function than form (nice way for me to say they're kind of ugly). The Vic lowers are much better looking and they also include the storage areas.
Well yeah but they are also $1250. If you want the full effect of the XCT you will probably need the large windshield that comes with it too. There's another $350 from what I've heard.

I'd rather put that money toward performance improvements like the VM1 cams, PC-V w/AT, and D&D mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Our dealer takes delivery of 2012's in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well yeah but they are also $1250. If you want the full effect of the XCT you will probably need the large windshield that comes with it too. There's another $350 from what I've heard.

I'd rather put that money toward performance improvements like the VM1 cams, PC-V w/AT, and D&D mufflers.
I want to wait and actually see them first. I figure at $1050, less tha Bakerwings I returned yesterday, and the Factory fork lowers I sold, the complete kit will be just over $600 net:p I already have a couple of tall Cee Bailey windshields so won't have to invest in one of those.

I will post a review as soon as this happens, hopefully someone else with a 2010/11 will do so sooner.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the hard lowers? I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the swap. I have the part number for the kit deflectors (2878527), the tubular bars (2878325) and I believe the lowers (2878543-XXX - where XXX would be the paint code). However, when I've searched online/called the parts department at a few places, no one seems to be able to find the part. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 64 Posts