1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Note the BMW style front suspension. This rig should handle a lot better than its predecessors and no brake dive to boot.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
That front end reminds me of the old Girders. This new Honda looks promising but there seems to be no way to get around the riding position and it not being tall person friendly because of the way the cylinders are positioned.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
That front end reminds me of the old Girders.
Oh, the complexity of it all! So many pivots and joints to wear out and negatively affect steering and handling. I'll stay with my simple telescopics and change their oil every 30K miles or so.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I think Honda et all would like to forget the Rune.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Bbob, that's all good and well for the collector, but the point I'm making is the manufacturers'. They aren't gonna keep producing it if it doesn't sell. Kinda like Victorys.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Bbob, that's all good and well for the collector, but the point I'm making is the manufacturers'. They aren't gonna keep producing it if it doesn't sell. Kinda like Victorys.
Polaris made a butt load of money selling off their remaining Victory's this year compared to last year.

Hmmm... is this a marketing mistake or a fluke?

I wonder if we will ever know the real reason Polaris shut down Victory. I don't think it was strictly about the bottom line. There had to be some politics behind it. Isn't it funny how politics involve every aspect of our lives in some way or another? Even the motorcycles we choose to ride.

But yeah; the Rune didn't sell well, everyone knows that, so it was deleted from the line up. They eventually discontinued the entire Valkyrie line; probably for the same reason. They were popular but had one huge draw back; terrible gas mileage. Like 26 mpg terrible. On a car it would be acceptable but not with the small gas tanks of a motorcycle; especially one that is capable of touring.

Maybe someone who knows the Honda Goldwing bikes better can explain why the Valkyrie had such bad gas mileage compared to the standard Goldwing.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Poor aerodynamics?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rode a Valk for twelve years. If a guy never twisted the tach passed 2500 rpm and nursed it along like a nun on a moped I could squeeze 40 mpg easily. With a down hill tail-wind 42 max. Edit . . . the redline was at 6500 rpm (52 was my error). Like the Vic, the fun factor kicked in at 3500 rpm. The Valk, with six old fashioned carburetors, definitely had a drinking problem. Bucking a headwind with the OEM windscreen (Tourer) and with an engine with the aerodynamics of a flying brick did not lend itself to economy. Overall, as a conservative rider, my on-average fuel consumption was around 35 mpg - mostly two-up travels. If ya liked to hot rod the machine or run in the fun factor zone most of the time the economy went directly into the proverbial tank. For some riders mileage in the "twenties" was not uncommon. For a few, mileage in the "teens" was not unheard of. The original Valk is a beauty. Wish I still had mine. :|

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I do not like the side opening saddlebags and the Apple b.s. If you love Apple, you would be happy, but I am not a fan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I do not like the side opening saddlebags and the Apple b.s. If you love Apple, you would be happy, but I am not a fan.
I'll go one step farther and say, I don't like the concept of "infotainment centers" in bikes at all. Not necessary and too distracting. Don't like them in cars either. C'mon, they are transportation devices, not communication centers fer krissakes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Aside from her personal characteristics which include explosive acceleration and the powerful pull of a freight train, the other aspects of the Valk that appealed to me was the overall simplicity of design. No tupperware to hide the hardware. No electronic doo-dads or bells and whistles. Just a unique machine with lots of power, a low center of gravity, cubrside appeal like few others, and all the while very nimble on her feet. A great machine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'll definitely toss a leg over the 2018 Goldwing when I get the opportunity. Been curious about wings since I started riding about 7 years ago but haven't had the chance to ride even an old one yet...the new one has to be something. I'd like to compare it to the new Yamaha couch too, riding both on an extended mix of highway and winding backroads...then I'd know something. Everything until then is mental masturbation.

·
Registered
694 Posts
According to the article it turns 2550 RPM at 60mph which means 3,000 at 70mph. One of the grips Wing owners had was this bike needs a 6th gear since at 1500 rpms it's making 90% of its maximum torque. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam over the years. This new bike turns the same in either configuration 7 speed DCT or 6 speed manual as the old Wing.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I had a 2002 Wing, put 53000 miles on it. Stone-cold reliable. The power almost felt electric, it was so smooth. Once you get to 5th gear, you could sit there from 25MPH all the way to highway without touching it. Handled amazingly for such a big bike. Foot placement sucked, only had one option unless you added highway pegs - then you were spread-eagle like riding a Boss Hoss. Maintenance was a bitch; an air filter change was well over an hour....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts