Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'd like to start a thread dedicated to all things paint. There are a ton of custom paint forums out there specifically towards this topic. Custom Bike forums, paint forums, and so on. I am a member of a couple, but I dig it here at Victory Forums and thought it would be a fun and informative place to share our custom Victory/motorcycle paint experience, tips tricks, projects, how to's, youtube links and discussions.

The vast knowledge members of this site have it got me thinking there must be its share of painters in the mix. Since I am currently in the process of teaching myself to airbrush I wanted an outlet. And what better outlet than a place guaranteed to share my love of pretty Victories? However if you have any automotive paint experience I'd love to hear from you as well. I know there is a lot of custom paint on bikes belonging to this forum and we can see those in your "show off your..." section. But, I still think one collective paint thread is a good idea. If it isn't this thread will fade into darkness and be archived. :eek:

I have a spare Judge tank that (as soon as I haul the dent out) will begin painting to swap out for my tank. Also, nice weather so I can strip it outside. I've just been practicing masking techniques and mixing on various items around the house (luckily my wife is cool about it). So I'll start it off;

1. Any painters out there? What do you use (paint brands wise, gear wise)?
2. I hear painting your helmet is a bad idea for a couple reasons. What paints are safe for the plastic? and can it still be DOT approved with custom paint?

I know I can google what I need to know, but i figure here we can all bounce several ideas around should the need arise.

Cheers!

·
Registered
206 Posts
A friend started his own paint company locally. I use his paints with no problem. A bike kit with clear, base, reducer, and activator is only $90 in pearl colors.

I'm not sure about paint messing with plastic on helmets. I've painted several over the years and never thought about it. If you use a plastic compatible primer prior to paint I couldn't see it hurting.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A friend started his own paint company locally. I use his paints with no problem. A bike kit with clear, base, reducer, and activator is only $90 in pearl colors.

I'm not sure about paint messing with plastic on helmets. I've painted several over the years and never thought about it. If you use a plastic compatible primer prior to paint I couldn't see it hurting.
Started his own paint company? Do you mean he created his own line of paint or a company that paints things? Either way that is pretty cool. Sounds like you mean the former. Does he have a website I can check out?

My end game is to paint people's bike when I retire. Out here on the east coast the Navy doesnt provide parking unless you have like a decade seniority UNLESS you ride a bike. Bike parking is a free for all. So TONS of guys in the Navy ride. I figure I net work my talents relatively cheaply to the guys and in 15 years when I retire theres a good chance I can have a name for myself. There really isn't all that much custom shops on the coast here. Time will tell.

As for the helmet. We were always told dont paint your hard hat, or your hockey helmet. Its clearly solvent based paint that could damage the integrity of the brain box, but I was more curious of the legalities. Would a cop waste his time? Anybody have experience getting pulled over wearing a not so DOT approved lid? Not encouraging that by any means. But I did hear once painted it is no longer DOT approved.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All primed up and ready to go;

How bad is this dent? I'm thinking it should come out. Don't wanna fill it if I don't have to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Paint and body work is not my area of expertise by a long shot. I'm comfortable with my ability enough to do my own vehicles or good friends.

Looking at the dent you can probably get it close but I imagine it will still need some filler and sanding to get it right. Hard to tell in the picture plus I'm posting from my phone so I can only see it so well.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Awesome idea BigbK.

Busa- please show us your cards :)

·
Vendor
129 Posts
That dent needs pulled out and then filled. You cant fill a dent that big.

Custom painting or just plain painting takes awhile to learn. My suggestion is to start out with a gravity feed HVLP gun. Harbor freight work well to begin with and are inexpensive. Use any base coat clear coat BC/CC. Its fairly easy to use and easy to fix if you screw up.

I'll try and answer some more later.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I knew the dent wouldn't fully come out. But wasn't sure how bad. The multi tool gives a slight idea of the depth, Diameter is like a man sized fist. Pretty standard bar slap in a tumble dent. I found a guy willing to look at it on Kijiji. See what happens.

I remember seeing a glimpse of Busa's busa. Love to hear some peoples backgrounds in paint.

Ugh, threw a few coats of electric blue on that lid. Apparently I failed to clean my sprayer properly, Was like 4 or 5 sprays away from a nice even coat and it started coughing up bits of white onto my pretty blue. I'll sand them out, clean the gear and start again in the morning.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That dent needs pulled out and then filled. You cant fill a dent that big.

Custom painting or just plain painting takes awhile to learn. My suggestion is to start out with a gravity feed HVLP gun. Harbor freight work well to begin with and are inexpensive. Use any base coat clear coat BC/CC. Its fairly easy to use and easy to fix if you screw up.

I'll try and answer some more later.
Thanks WD. I have an HVLP gun as well as a couple double action detail brushes. As for time, its what I got. Dual income no kids work 4 days on 6 days off. I'm not planning on making money tomorrow...like I say 15 years to practice on unsuspecting sailor's bikes. I'm quite comfortable with it as a hobby. I have a few guys that want me to do their hockey masks and stuff like that. But its all in good fun (from good friends).

As for that monkey fist in the side of the tank. I'm a noob, but I've seen dumbasses fill some pretty big dents. I'll get buddy to pull it and hopefully wont have too much (or little) to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I remember seeing a glimpse of Busa's busa. Love to hear some peoples backgrounds in paint.

Ugh, threw a few coats of electric blue on that lid. Apparently I failed to clean my sprayer properly, Was like 4 or 5 sprays away from a nice even coat and it started coughing up bits of white onto my pretty blue. I'll sand them out, clean the gear and start again in the morning.
Actually Busa has a few other toys he's customised and painted- some of that art looks almost 3D its that good.

AussieJackpot should also post some of his shots here- his custom paint job is also up there.

Bummer on the lid.....look forwad to the pics though thumb up

·
Registered
774 Posts

Outstanding topic Big BK.
Always wondered why guys can mod things but farm out the paint.
I started at 16 years old on my fathers new 1953 ford. Only got one door primed before I got my ass kicked.:ltr:
Keeping up with the changes in paint is the challenge. My first gallon of black lacquer cost me 11 bucks. Now just the hardener for urethane is about 50 bucks. You don't need all the fancy stuff. I started with a 7 dollar monkey wards pressure pot gun.
Doesn't matter how you get it on, runs dirt and orange peel gets sanded out with progressively finer paper then buffed. You can fix anything you screw up. My booth is such a joke no one believes I paint in there. Just a couple Walmart window fans blowing out at the neighbors house lol works fine. Your not painting a car. Just be careful you don't blow your house up. Just like welding you can learn from reading but won't be a welder or painter until you pick up the gun or stick. Lots of mistakes and wasted materials but that's how you learn. Your local automotive paint supplier should give you instruction sheets on mixing, dry times, temp and humidly limits etc.
Learning on bike parts is the way to go. No stripping an entire car when you screw up. Give it a try, lots to learn but you won't learn if you don't try. Advise from your paint dealer is priceless. Have fun.thumb up

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://s157.photobucket.com/user/busajack/slideshow/
Here's 54 pages of my toys and paint jobs.thumb upcheers

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/busajack/blackshop004.jpg?785
My 57 thousand dollar paint booth. tHe
Thanks for chiming in Busa. Got some awesome machines in that link. My paint room is also blasting exhaust at the neighbors house. And is rather pathetic. But since their pitbull has done terrible damage to my fence and siding its only fair. thumb up

That highball looked right at home in the living room (it seemed)! Pinstriping is going to be my biggest hurdle, aside from realism, i'm thinking. I'm progressing nicely with my skulls (lol I'm not big on em, but sooner or later I figure someone is going to ask for em), but pinstriping...my hand is not that steady. Yet? Hopefully....maybe.

I'm still very much in my trial and error phase. Its fun and frustrating. I'll be attempting a pearl for the first time soon. Local suppliers are hard to come by out here. I have a connection with an industrial sized supplier that may pan out (he sells large quantities, to large for my needs). He gave me a nice sample pack of his paints and I've just been playing. I honestly need to read up A LOT more before I will turn out a product I deem worthy of others. You know?

I have talked to Ma Vic in town to get in their Victory black. Its not cheap but I want to try and match it as best I can...so i figure its worth it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Busa. Got some awesome machines in that link. My paint room is also blasting exhaust at the neighbors house. And is rather pathetic. But since their pitbull has done terrible damage to my fence and siding its only fair. thumb up

That highball looked right at home in the living room (it seemed)! Pinstriping is going to be my biggest hurdle, aside from realism, i'm thinking. I'm progressing nicely with my skulls (lol I'm not big on em, but sooner or later I figure someone is going to ask for em), but pinstriping...my hand is not that steady. Yet? Hopefully....maybe.

I'm still very much in my trial and error phase. Its fun and frustrating. I'll be attempting a pearl for the first time soon. Local suppliers are hard to come by out here. I have a connection with an industrial sized supplier that may pan out (he sells large quantities, to large for my needs). He gave me a nice sample pack of his paints and I've just been playing. I honestly need to read up A LOT more before I will turn out a product I deem worthy of others. You know?

I have talked to Ma Vic in town to get in their Victory black. Its not cheap but I want to try and match it as best I can...so i figure its worth it.
If you want to play with the airbrush a lot you can get these water born colors with out buying a pint of each. And clean up is cheaper with water.
http://www.autoaircolors.com/products.html thumb up

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmmm I have a variety of water based hobby paints that I use in my dual action, but mostly just for practice...water based for automotive use though. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
http://houseofkolor.com/index.jsp
Found House of colors a bit cheaper than PPG that I use. Even with shipping. Great selection.thumb up
House of Kolor comes recommended pretty highly around the internets. But I like the water based for practice. Looks like the missus and I need to have a talk about the good old credit card. LOL.

It's clear coating I need to read up on more. Orange peeling and all that as you say. I don't even have a proper clear. Just hardware store brand I'm kind of afraid to run through my gun...luckily its a no name brand cheapy.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts