Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mehhh, I dunno. I'm on my 4th Vic and I still consider them superior to Harleys. Being a harsh critic, I can't find anything I would change on my Victory's, while I've found numerous design flaws on my Harleys. The only thing I would improve on Vics is to rubber-mount the engine. I think you'd still have some "Engine feel", but broader appeal. I would love to see the brand come back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I just ordered the book (Thanks for the lead, OTAB), so perhaps I will be writing later how wrong I was today, but some of you have written stuff I agree with.
  • Euro 4 (or is it 5) and the original design of the Victory engine may have been the last nail. However, I feel like there were mistakes all along the way.
  • Bad luck with the poorly (or un) tempered gear. Totally bad luck, not poor design or being cheap.
  • After 2008 they did not support the earlier models well. Because the brand was new, and due to a smaller number of bikes sold, the ability to interchange parts was nothing like what owning a H_D offered.
  • Dealers who were acting very much like H-D dealers did right before they almost went south (some H-D dealers are acting that way still). Yeah, Polaris had a bunch of money, but being the new guy in town leaves one with the responsibility, and need, to win over a customer base.
  • They were way too late bringing on a model that would stand against the Sporty.
  • There was no need to spend money on racing. Most folks are not looking for a race bike when buying a Victory. Heck, my stock 04 v92tc would pull a stock 96 dresser all day, but a 96 dresser is not a race bike either, it's a dresser. People who buy H-D, or Victory motorcycles, looking to race, are confused. Yes they are much more efficient rides than they were in the past, but HP to weight just does not add up to others in the market place. Think BMW R nine T/5 at 483 pounds and 110 HP out of the box. You can get there with the Octane at about 550 pounds at the curb, with 103 HP out of the box. Not so with the rest of the line.
  • Trickle-down economic theory failed, leaving a giant portion of the populace w/o discretionary $s. A problem that continues to this day.
I like/d my Victorys and I liked the rubber mounted, or balancer H-D bikes I have owned. I would not buy a M8 bike even if I still had the knees to deal with it. I am not convinced the pressure & oil movement problems in the engine & transmission have been resolved. H-D is known for slow response to design flaws. Think about a night ride on your 77 FLH and being easily seen, as your rear rotor turns cherry red. Call the dealer for the rebuild kit, if you make it home, so they can tell you they do not sell the parts anymore.

I would have folded the steel frames into the Indian family. I wished they had.

What is it I hear you guys say to folks who comment on how nice your bike looks, and then want to know who makes them? " Nobody"

100_4474.jpg

Vic Gunner 1 15.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Doesn't make sense for any company to run two brands competing with each other. Plain and simple one had to go. Just as the car manufacturers reduced brands.
They reduced brands because Obama made them to get bail out federal money. They didn't do it because they wanted to.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
That is why I like the option of buying what I like, Each company is different

·
Registered
114 Posts
They reduced brands because Obama made them to get bail out federal money. They didn't do it because they wanted to.
I would need to see documentation concerning that statement before I would believe it.

The link below is a list of corporations that received money from TARP. I did not see Polaris on the list. TARP was authorized by Congress in 2008. The last year for Victory was 2017.

If you want to make this a political discussion head on over to "Religion & Politics". I won't be there.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,755 Posts
Brand reduction was happening well before and well after any of that government stuff. They stopped being profitable and had to go away. It's just business.

Sometimes the multiple brand thing works well if not targeting the same groups. Lexus and Toyota don't target the same group of consumers. If Lexus changed to selling all $15k cars then they would be in direct competition with Toyota. It doesn't make sense to run a business competing with yourself.

Indian and Victory both trying to be competitive with HD and maybe Honda. Getting a small market share of the motorcycle sales pie. Better to throw all your resources into a single brand to cut costs and maximize profits.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I would need to see documentation concerning that statement before I would believe it.

The link below is a list of corporations that received money from TARP. I did not see Polaris on the list. TARP was authorized by Congress in 2008. The last year for Victory was 2017.

If you want to make this a political discussion head on over to "Religion & Politics". I won't be there.

I was referring to car manufactures not Polaris. Polaris did not get any bail out funds.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Why in a thread about the demise of Victory motorcycles would you bring up car manufacturers, TARP, "bail out federal money", etc.? Am I missing some connection between these two things?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts