Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got started today on the cosmetic redo project of my 2013 XC. I wrapped the cheese wedge (tank)wings in the matte black. I planned to do the same to the wedges but as soon as the cleaning alcohol touched the paint(Polaris Sunset Red..) it started to strip it...so I went with it ;) Those divots would be impossible for me to wrap anyway(I tested it), so I decided since they were stripped, I'd paint them matte black. I have to buy some matte black but I did get them primed.

I'm going to try to record some parts of this project, If it comes out decent I'll post it on the channel.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
paint

Pain if you like the textured look you can try the black or other color of Bed Liner. Spray on Bed Liner. I have used it on several parts. Personally I like it, and the stuff is tuff if sprayed on correctly. I had used black paint on several parts and over time it has came off. I sprayed some of those parts with the bedliner and it has been holding up great. Then again it is not for everybody, the textured look.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pain if you like the textured look you can try the black or other color of Bed Liner. Spray on Bed Liner. I have used it on several parts. Personally I like it, and the stuff is tuff if sprayed on correctly. I had used black paint on several parts and over time it has came off. I sprayed some of those parts with the bedliner and it has been holding up great. Then again it is not for everybody, the textured look.
I think I'll stick with a standard matte black and a matte clear coat. The cheese wedges are the only parts I'm painting, the rest is all going to be matte vinyl wrap and I want a consistent look
Thanks for the suggestion..... maybe I'll do truck bed liner at the 100,000 mile refresh LOL

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got ambitious tonight and figured out a half-way decent looking way to cover the scars on my bags.... Magnum Style ..lol :wink

·
Registered
886 Posts
Matte black bed liner will be heavily textured with misshappened lumps of various sizes. I'd try barbeque paint for the flat black look on the wedges that will stand up to some heat as well.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
3M matte black? I have some to play with but never got around to it since fall was cancelled and we are in winter here.

Confused by what you are saying. Your paint stripped on the bike?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confused by what you are saying. Your paint stripped on the bike?
Not the factory paint job but parts(cheese wedges and side panels) I painted with the "Polaris" touch up paint. Here: https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Sunset-Red-Touch-up-Paint-Aerosol-Spray-10oz-2006-2014-Polaris-RZR-500-800/1263113740?iid=232363577992&chn=ps
This paint probably needs come type of specific process and the factory clear-coat to work right because its terrible on its own....like I said, it basically melted off with 91% cleaning alcohol...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think I'm going to drill out the holes in the cheese wedges and install some LED light strips behind them.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I think I'm going to drill out the holes in the cheese wedges and install some LED light strips behind them.
You know this requires photos...

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
There is a old thread about this subject, all the diodes & wireing was detailed explained

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yea thought about individual diodes to do it. But decidedto use the strip type

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My bike came with drilled wedges and bunch of LED lights. They didn't work.

Cutting around the edge of the badge on the wedge so light shines out around it would look cool. I might try that someday.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I had some leftover Boogie Lights LED strips and put them inside of my cheese wedges. I drilled out the dimples so the light would come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't have to work today so I got busy on the front on the front fender. This is what I came up with:

When its all together, there should be a nice tie with the race-stripping going on the fairing and tank over to the bags. The matte black side panels and cheese wedges should get complete the look I'm going for... We'll see in spring ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Using vinyl line tape or is that blue paint tape?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Using vinyl line tape or is that blue paint tape?
That is painters tape, I used it lay out a pattern, I used the 3M vinyl cutting tape just on the inside of the blue tape. Then laid the vinyl wrap over the top.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Okay good I thought you were doing it the hard way cutting vinyl with a blade. :)

1 - 20 of 144 Posts