Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you’re a motorcyclist, odds are that you aren’t one of those car drivers that squats in the left lane plodding along exactly at the speed limit while everyone else stacks up behind you with their blood pressure nearing the bursting point. Then again, maybe you are one of those mouth-breathers who believes it is their God-given right to drive in whatever lane they want, no matter who it inconveniences. (If you are, we’ve got a special place in Hell carved out for you to spend all of eternity listening to the Barney Song turned up to 11.)

While we’ve all experienced the aggravation of the left lane squatter, it turns out that slowing down traffic in the left lane is also a safety hazard because it forces faster drivers to weave back and forth between lanes, which can cause a cascading wave of deceleration in the right lane that further slows and stacks up traffic. Oh yeah, it increases the odds of an accident, too.

So, next time you see some doofus online, bloviating about how safe he is going the speed limit in the left lane instead of sticking to the right unless he’s passing, point him in the direction of the video below. While it probably won’t change the blowhard’s behavior, you might just inform some less experienced driver, like the narrator in the video, about proper lane discipline.
Read more about The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
That's my biggest pet peeve! I grew up in Kentucky where it is illegal to use the left lane for anything other than passing!

·
Registered
536 Posts
:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:
good luck finding too many troopers in NY that are willing to pull over someone on the highway for 80mph on the local 65mph highways, let alone for being a douche and holding up traffic in the left lane...
been commuting 80 miles round trip for work for years and if i had a penny for every time i saw one of this self-indulgent asshats I could retire early and still put my kids through college...
the laws only work when they are enforced and people give a ****...
sorry to offend any NY State troopers on this board (if there are any) but i call em like i see them..

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's my biggest pet peeve! I grew up in Kentucky where it is illegal to use the left lane for anything other than passing!
It's the rules almost everywhere. Just not enforced. Maine used to put a little effort into it. They had signs up and down the turnpike "keep right except to pass" when I was growing up. You would hear that the troopers would stop you for sitting in the left lane, but I don't know of this ever happening for a FACT.

Virginia- zero- and I mean ZERO effort to discourage this idiocy/ incompetence despite the rule.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Watch it if you are in Kentucky! They pulled people over like crazy when I was growing up. They still do too! I was up there 6 months ago and some left lane crusader was being followed at night by an unmarked Kentucky state trooper. He refused to move over when he had a chance and the cop flipped on those blue lights! They will run up and down the interstate keeping those lanes open. It was worse when I was a kid though. I-75 was only 2 lanes in each direction for most of the state. Now it's 3 lanes.

Georgia will enforce it as well. Florida is another story! I get crappy gas mileage in my car because I'm constantly speeding up and slowing down to pass arseholes on the right! My favorite is the asshat that is sitting on their cell phone while cruising in the left lane. :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Here it's just the opposite!
And it's not enforced, it's signposted occasionally to keep left unless overtaking but it's disregarded by most.
Yeah we drive on the left so it's our right lanes that get jammed up by inconsiderate dumbest
The txters are easy to spot weaving along and yeah usually in the fast or passing lane.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Idaho's much the same, but for the most part, locals are pretty observant of the practice. At least until you hit high traffic areas (or what pass for them here) like Boise, Idaho Falls, Pocatello/Chubbuck, or even the short stretch of US93 between the Snake River Canyon and I-84. And you can always count on Utah plates to camp the left lane, completely unable to maintain a speed, going somewhere between 70 and 95 depending on whether they think you'll pass them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts