Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Be sure to watch both videos all the way through. Why isn't this common knowledge all through the US? Green Shirts have replaced brown and black shirts of the 1930s and 40s?
The NMA is the National Motorists Association, an advocacy group for us drivers/riders and one of the only.

The Scariest Ride of Your Life: NMA E-Newsletter #451
By guest writer William Rayburn, NMA Washington State Member

As an NMA member I truly enjoy reading the NMA e-newsletter. Today I thought to myself I could contribute something that I have had the displeasure witnessing first-hand and something quite relevant to the subject matter for which the NMA is founded. I’m talking about DHS (Department of Homeland Security) in-country checkpoints, their abuse of power, as well as the potential hazards it presents to the average driver.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with what an in-country checkpoint is and is not according to law and then show what they have become. A DHS checkpoint is an established temporary or permanent roadblock along specific highways by the Federal Government, manned by border patrol agents, for the “...sole purpose of conducting a routine and limited inquiry into residence status.” This as defined by the Supreme Court in United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543 (1976). But these checkpoints now are anything but unobtrusive and not simply limited to citizenship determination. Following some years of operation the purpose has clearly shifted into a random criminal investigations checkpoints and that has resulted in a power abusive fishing expedition for the agents that man them. Make no mistake they will stop at nothing if they are so inclined, and no constitutional right that you think you have will stand in their way.

Some folks are quite familiar with the random heavy handed approach they take and some have taken it upon themselves to defy this Draconian behavior - which only fuels the agent(s) brash and lawless approach. In many cases you could easily find yourself wondering at one of these checkpoints if you have gone back in time to Nazi Germany. However, to be fair, many people go through these checkpoints every day with no incident. But when someone does encounter a problem it can be quite a surprise. Take for example Jessica Cooke, a student of law enforcement, who one fine day in May 2015 found herself on the receiving end at one of these checkpoints. The video picks up after she had pleasantly provided all the necessary documentation proving who she was but appeared “nervous” according to the female agent and was ordered to secondary. There, she was further commanded to wait for an undetermined amount of time until a k-9 unit arrived, obviously to sniff for drugs. When she questioned the probable cause and attempted to exercise her rights things quickly escalated. What happened then is totally unbelievable.

This scenario is being played out on our American highways daily. And it’s not unheard of although many people may never face this unless they are traveling within 100 miles of a border or coastal area. It’s then you should be prepared for every possible experience that could shock your conscience. Which is the reason I thought of writing this article, to make drivers aware. John Stossel did a piece on this which I am also including. It was a well done 20/20 reporting of facts and brief clips.

These checkpoints have obviously morphed into something they were not intended to be and certainly not anything that the Supreme Court had envisioned. By the way, being made to wait for any length of time for a k-9, after the time had lapsed to find that Ms. Cooke was in fact a citizen is also against the law according to the Supreme Court. A “...stop exceeding the time needed to handle the matter for which the stop was made violates the Constitution’s shield against unreasonable seizures,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote for the majority. The vote was 6 to 3. Rodriguez v. United States No. 13-9972.

It is well established that a police officer can’t randomly pull you over just to search your vehicle, absent probable cause to suspect that the driver has or is in the commission of a crime. But the fact is the government is doing exactly this by way of these in-country checkpoints. And before you say it, it really won’t matter how cooperative you are before you find yourself on the receiving end of something like this. And many may not ever encounter such a thing until you find yourself on vacation saying something like, “oh look here honey, they have some sort of roadblock going on with lots of border patrol officers.” You may just be getting on the scariest ride of your life.

Editor’s Note: The opinions expressed in this newsletter are those of the author. For the NMA’s FAQ on Roadblocks, click HERE.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With deference to our forum cop friends, like it or not, we are slowly becoming a police state.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
RoadBlock there road to there headquarter and ask the same question with your own dogs....

This is too Crazy for words ...... How can you live your life like that.... When I was working in Iraq the roadblocks were more friendly than that....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good thread Ricz
Reality really sucks doesn't it.
As long as the majority of people are fine with what is happening it will continue to get worse at an ever increasing rate.

·
Registered
154 Posts
checkpoint?

While I don't condone any abuse of power...the time to question it is NOT as you roll up to it and confront the LEOs or DHS agents. That is a good way to either leave in complimentary "jewelry" aka handcuffs, or worst case scenario...get shot.
The constitution gives citizens (as well as non-citizens) their day in court.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
While I don't condone any abuse of power...the time to question it is NOT as you roll up to it and confront the LEOs or DHS agents. That is a good way to either leave in complimentary "jewelry" aka handcuffs, or worst case scenario...get shot.
The constitution gives citizens (as well as non-citizens) their day in court.

I don't see what I saw in the videos is an abuse of power.
The question is do people want to peacefully work to change their positional relationship with their government closer to what it has been previously in American history or are the satisfied with what it is presently?

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my take on that situation.....saying more than I know---
The girl didn't realize that cops go on three things; ego, fear and authority. She disrespected those, although no fear was present on the officers' side in this video, her actions only served to dig the hole she put herself in deeper. However, the officer who tazed her went way over the top, IMO. Had she been polite,courteous and cooperative, there would be no video to post. But those others on Stossel's video are cause for alarm.
Supposedly, the purpose of those road blocks is to find and apprehend illegals and NOTHING else. How stupid is that?!? Their network will pass the info as to where the check point is and it will be avoided. Maybe those officers' actions were borne out of frustration with their superiors' dumb decisions that make their work ineffective.
I'm concerned with the Constitutionality of what these roadblocks have developed into and so is Justice Bader-Ginsberg. I'm aware that the video doesn't show all it could, but it does ask a lot of questions that go unanswered. I hate to see things like this go unchecked. More Americans need to be aware that this is going on in their country.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
From watching the video, Jessica is the one who made the scenario escalate. It seemed to me her combative and abusive words and demeanor were the real issue. The time to resist is not during this type of event. She certainly had a chip on her shoulder and most cops/border control agents would rightfully find fault in how she conducted herself. It's a random checkpoint. Something I absolutely do not agree with. But I've been through many of them and never had an issue because I didn't act the fool like she did. Since she was recording it, I got the feeling she was sort of playing it up for the camera. She kind of got what I'd expect from acting like she did.

Again, I loathe these kinds of check points. But the way to get rid of, or control them, is in the courts and through the legislative process. Certainly not by acting like she did during the event.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
<snip>I loathe these kinds of check points. But the way to get rid of, or control them, is in the courts <snip more>
Do remember one thing. In order to begin a process in a court that would, hopefully, end with the elimination of these checkpoints, a suitable plaintiff is needed. This plaintiff must have standing to bring such a lawsuit which means they have to have been harmed in some manner. Frankly, any person who went through such a check point would seem to have the proper standing but the vast majority don't care about them. It seems likely to me that the persons who would most likely object to these checkpoints and have the makin's of a good plaintiff would also raise their objection during the process.... or maybe not :)

Do you think vehement but non-violent objection during the checkpoint process would weaken or strengthen a plaintiff's case? I would tend to think it would strengthen it, especially if the persons conducting the checkpoint inspection/questioning can be caused to overreact in a way that is even more blatantly unconstitutional.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I don't see what I saw in the videos is an abuse of power.
Maybe you didn't hear that girl screem in pain from a tazer.... The men and woman in green wannabe army suits really really remind me of the citezen in WWII who were helping the Germans... They were not German, they were not army, but they had a funny suit and thought they were doing good

Don't be surprised if in the near future some of these wannabe are shot dead in front of there house.... People WILL get tired of this bullshit....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I think what bothered me the most is the BP didn't give the woman a reason she was being detained. That's plain wrong. The BP plays these games. I came across the border one time after a 2 hour wait and they detained me in the BP headquarters for a half hour acting like they were seeing something on my record but I know my record is clean. They were just being dicks.

I get the feeling the BP is a lot like the TSA; a joke law enforcement agency. I'm sure there are good ones but they seem to have more than their fair share of the bad ones.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
There is this video on YouTube, a news channel asked passengers to put a tablet with tracking Divice in there bags for free, then when the tablet get stolen by the wannabe, this time a TSA they track it to there house and knock on there door, supper funny, but is it? Is it funny? Maybe it is pathetic....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I've seen that video. It was an active duty TSA agent who then tried to make some kind of BS reason why it was in his house but he was busted. I think there was a news team there just to record his reaction to getting caught.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TSA, Border Patrol and other quasi cops remind me of the WWII copos in concentration camps and other citizen-police the Nazis assigned to do their policing. They were more brutal than the Nazis themselves.

·
Registered
426 Posts
TSA, Border Patrol and other quasi cops remind me of the WWII copos in concentration camps and other citizen-police the Nazis assigned to do their policing. They were more brutal than the Nazis themselves.
Back around 1984 I had a bad run in with Texas border patrol. But I shut my mouth. 100 miles from El Paso and no one around, 5 huge guys treating me like an Asshole..and I was military and on leave at the time. They stopped me, asked me how many Mexicans I had in my truck ( had a cap on the bed ) and proceeded to pull everything out of it and dump it on the road. Then the one guy said "pick your **** up off my road and get the hell out of here." Clothes, tool, gun cabinet, everything. Of course I ddin't like it.

I remember as a young kid my uncle was in the Patrol, riding horseback many times. I remember we went to mexico and all of a sudden about a dozen or more Mexicans were standing in the street to block us. Yelling in Spanish. He got us out of there fast.

They recognized him. Years later I found they were threatening to kill him and his family and cut his head off. These guys face heavy stuff every day from drug dealers to human trafficking thugs. I understand why they would get pissy. NOT excusing bad behavior in any way.

Though here I was, a soldier, with a military ID, Texas plates, and doing nothing but trying to move my crap back home. No reason at all to treat me like that. But it happens. The media does not go out of their way to show the good cops. They focus on the bad ones.

I despise law enforcement who abuse their power. Sadly with todays society its gotten worse. Is it worse because these guys face more danger than ever before? Quite possible. Or is it the God complex some have? Absolutely. We have a couple in my area that are despised to the point that most wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I'm one of them. Both of these assholes 1 female, 1 male have pulled guns on people for NOTHING. I'll never understand why the department keeps them. One day I am sure the village will be sued to no end, they already have faced 4 suits and got away with it.

BUT the rest of the guys and gals in the department are top notch. They don't harass anyone, they DO help the citizens and go out of their way to get the bad guys.

But that woman had a huge mouth and didn't even try to work with the gents. In my mind she holds half the responsibility herself. Acting like an asshole, especially on your own video is stupid. Who does she think she is?

These are just some dangerous times we are in.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
When a BP or police officer stops acting like a professional, the BP or a police officer at that moment should loose the protection that the law provides him from prosecution that comes because of his position as an agent of law enforcement. He should not have to be fired first for this transformation to take place. It should be assumed that when he chose his course of action he resigned his post, or steps out from under what protection was provided from prosecution, and is then bound by the same laws that normal citizens are bound by. He should be treated by the law like the rest of us.

In the case of the cop with the taser all's well till he becomes a butt head and taser's the woman because he can. At that point he should not be subject to reprimand by his boss but arrested and prosecuted for assault with intent to injure or whatever a common person would be charged with if they tasered someone just because they could.

I think it would be safer for everyone if it were done that way but I won't be holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
While it doesn't explain all the bad behavior as we can see; Affirmative Action has made sure there has been a dumbing down in all federal agencies and college entrance enrollees.

The current meme of the day by the left went from an uneasy truce between the races and the two genders 9 years ago to the white privilege and cis gender bullshit to what the current meme by the left is; all white people are white supremacists.

At least most of us are under the same label now regardless of ideology. In a way I/we should be thanking these radical, dare I say the truth, insane, leftists for pushing so many people out of the dem party leaving them disenfranchised so now they have 4 basic choices. Give up caring and stop voting, register as an Independent and hope for the best, join the libertarian party, or joint the republican party.

I'm guessing most will register as Independents for a while at least until things settle out. The extreme nature of the current dem party of obstructionism and basically having no message or plan other than obstructing Trump is quite literally killing the party. They lost the working men and women during the last election cycle thanks to the extreme Marxist regulations and changes made during the dark obama era.

The more radical their base gets the more they lose anyone remotely moderate. Couple that with a Uniparty congress that says what they have to get elected or re-elected and who does the bidding of their rich donors and not the people who voted for them and Houston; we have a problem.

Term limits with senators having 4 year terms and two terms max for life just like the President. Representatives can have 4 two year terms. Also cut out all the fancy perks and benefits other than good medical while they are serving their country like any soldier or sailor. Let them have access to the VA if they deserve it afterward. These are basic steps to correct our broken government. Oh; and fire any government worker who uses their ideology at work to give their side an advantage. If their crime is severe enough; prosecute and jail them appropriately.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Term limits are all good and well, but what about the tens of thousands of unelected bureaucrats, many who are uncontrollably dictating policies, rules and regulations with no accountability?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts