1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
There certainly does seem to be a lot of uncertainty in the world economy as of late. I can't do anything to influence it either but I watch this stuff to help me gauge when I should retire. I can retire now and take the at least 10% loss to our investment portfolio and subsequent future purchasing power or I can work longer, add to our retirement nest-egg, and wait until some sort of market recovery before I retire. Our financial planner has built into our retirement plan a scenario he calls, "two bad years" which assumes that the first two years after retirement are bad ones with 20% and 10% drops in the stock market indices and we are still supposed to be okay even in this case. Since I have the luxury of working longer or retiring, I figure why not work a bit longer just to see what is really happening to the economy. If we don't go into a full-blown market crash, maybe I'll try to cut back to working part-time in a few months as a way of easing into retirement while still replenishing the nest-egg, albeit at a slower rate.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There certainly does seem to be a lot of uncertainty in the world economy as of late. I can't do anything to influence it either but I watch this stuff to help me gauge when I should retire. I can retire now and take the at least 10% loss to our investment portfolio and subsequent future purchasing power or I can work longer, add to our retirement nest-egg, and wait until some sort of market recovery before I retire. Our financial planner has built into our retirement plan a scenario he calls, "two bad years" which assumes that the first two years after retirement are bad ones with 20% and 10% drops in the stock market indices and we are still supposed to be okay even in this case. Since I have the luxury of working longer or retiring, I figure why not work a bit longer just to see what is really happening to the economy. If we don't go into a full-blown market crash, maybe I'll try to cut back to working part-time in a few months as a way of easing into retirement while still replenishing the nest-egg, albeit at a slower rate.

G'day,

Vinish
Vin,

You've got a plan and options. A man that is dedicated to staying aware and using your resources(fin planner) and common sense to deal with the uncertainty about the future that undoubtedly will never be stable.

My poor kids... I am more concerned about their future than my own. This is #1 reason that their education is a priority. Wife and I made sacrifices to invest in a college plan for our son and daughter that has already paid off for one.

I'd say that a majority of Americans do not have a plan and 5 to 10 years from now... or less, their lack of a plan and staying aware will cost us all.

You and I have got to make health care a major concern because this is where our savings/investments can be swallowed up. Hopefully this will not be the case but as we all age, things can happen.

My daughter and I had a long chat about these things last night. She is a nurse and while she makes good money, medical care is not free or cheap to her just because she is in the business.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Sorry to hear Walmart is closing so many stores ... Today i heard on the Dutch Radio "only" 5000 company's closed in '15 .... This was a much better results then in '14 apparently ....

Dill i like your post's ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That's a lot of people losing their jobs Id say ...

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Ps, health care .... Obama just declared that the USA is going to be the leader to cure Cancer ??

Yeah right .... By chemotherapy the number one killer in the healthcare ....

The death clock

Did you look at the links of supporting data at the bottom of that site.... for example the one about chemo? https://chemokills.info/

All country's are working against cheap and good medicine ... Expensive is GOOD

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I was born in the mid 30s in the depths of the Great Depression, then WWII comes along. Then the Carter years of double digit inflation. Then the boon Reagan years. And the beat goes on. I survived all that and you too will survive.
P.S. Many of the US Walmart stores that are closing are within 5 miles of another one. In my neighborhood, we have two that are less than two miles apart--silly.

·
13,185 Posts
I have a few friend that retired. 3 from the airlines and their retirement benefits were great then the company filed one of those chaper things and they loss their medical and most of their pension. The sad part is the government helped the airlines out but the employs were screwed. The others were truck drivers for coca cola and they were doing great that the union started cutting their benefits.
So you just don't know where you're going to get the short end of the stick.
I'm a firm believer that high schools should be teach kids about finances and how to invest and handle money.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was born in the mid 30s in the depths of the Great Depression, then WWII comes along. Then the Carter years of double digit inflation. Then the boon Reagan years. And the beat goes on. I survived all that and you too will survive.
P.S. Many of the US Walmart stores that are closing are within 5 miles of another one. In my neighborhood, we have two that are less than two miles apart--silly.
Wow! You may get to see 2 depressions in your lifetime... maybe even this year.

Sam Walton is turning over in his grave. All his children need a spanking.

Finally!

I survived all that and you too will survive.
I don't want to. I want to flame out when gas is back to being 25¢.
Being white is okay. Gays have their own island in middle of Antarctic ocean. My deductible is $10 for whatever. Yes sir and no sir has meaning. Bullies get their arses kicked instead of hands slapped. Wife beaters and child molesters fill our potholes. Texting does not work at all on cells. Guns can be taken everywhere. School and mall shooters are quickly hung by a noose with live tv coverage... and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Part of any large retailer's marking plan is' When a good location comes on the market near one of your store's location is to put another one of your store there so to keep a competitor out of your market area... It doesn't matter if you have to close some of them later on..It will take years if ever before someone else can move there...

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
You will often see a McDonald’s and Burger King in the same area.
Its called site locating. If a store of one type is drawing customers in good numbers, it makes good sense for a competitor of the same type to park near them.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I last month used Black Salve on skin cancers on my nose and they were gone in just over a week.
Theres been a cure for over 2000 years but medical and govt. cant make money from it.
So they ban it for human use!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I last month used Black Salve on skin cancers on my nose and they were gone in just over a week.
Theres been a cure for over 2000 years but medical and govt. cant make money from it.
So they ban it for human use!
I would suggest making certain those melanomas are COMPLETELY gone and not just on the surface. Skin cancer is a nasty beast and once it reaches bone, pack your bags for the Pearly Gates. Trust me MBX, I have a load of experience with the Big C.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Thanks for your concern.
Oh theyre gone alright nice clean healthy tissue once the evil black scab came off.
I can see low spots where the roots came out.
It was supposed to have been cut out on one side 4 yrs ago and reappeared. And on the tip there was a spot liquid nitrogened that came back.
All gone now.
Been on a diet of minimal meat and sugar, fast food once in a blue moon,
as well eating organic veg out of my own garden for over 2 years. Remember that saying "you are what you eat"
Zero alcohol and drugs for over 17years....one day at a time.
My biggest threat is txters, and myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts