Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the XC for almost two years and I've never "opened it up". Outside of an occasional pass, I've never stayed at WOT to see what she'll do.
I was riding home from MA the other day, on a long 5mile stretch of straight, smooth road in the middle of nowhere, I let her rip....and it wasn't very impressive. :(
{My dyno #'s are 94hp/113tq) I rolled it on in 5th and jumped right up to about 85mph and then the kind of chugged its way to 102mph and topped out there. I backed off to 60mph, dropped into 4th and went WOT again, in 4th it build speed a little faster but was still what I felt to be a slow climb past 85mph, I hit 105mph at 5200rpms and grabbed 5th...and nothin' she pretty much stayed there, with maybe the most gradual of speed increases. At that point, I got what I needed to know and eased back into my normal riding speeds.
I got a lesson in riding the torque monster....lol. These bikes pull hard and get right up to speed in "normal" conditions but run out of breath in short order outside that envelope. I've always ridden this bike "in the torque" usually between 2400-3100rpms and it feels strong and does fine, I think I'll keep that up and leave the reving to the go-fast bikes....that actually go fast.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have never ridden a cruiser that will do any better than what you are describing that weights nearly 900 lbs, unless it is a goldwing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
not sure how thats possible with those numbers. my 08 kingpin jumps from 75 to 115 in what feels like a second or 2. there still feels like there is plenty left at that point . there must be something wrong.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine is all stock and it feels pretty strong to me in the upper speed.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the way its runs down low I really was expecting more. I've ridden plenty of "fast" bikes and know what they are capable of, I was not expecting sport bike performance but I was still surprised at the what a dog the XC is in the higher end.

·
Registered
632 Posts
At 52 hundred RPM's, It's pretty well taped out, Same as my Gunner..My Tri-Glide would red line at 55 hundred till i did a stage 1 now i red line at 64 hundred, That extra 9 hundred makes a big difference.
And from a rolling start the Tri will out run the Gunner, Even though the Tri is much heavier.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I've had the XC for almost two years and I've never "opened it up". Outside of an occasional pass, I've never stayed at WOT to see what she'll do.

I was riding home from MA the other day, on a long 5mile stretch of straight, smooth road in the middle of nowhere, I let her rip....and it wasn't very impressive. :(

{My dyno #'s are 94hp/113tq) I rolled it on in 5th and jumped right up to about 85mph and then the kind of chugged its way to 102mph and topped out there. I backed off to 60mph, dropped into 4th and went WOT again, in 4th it build speed a little faster but was still what I felt to be a slow climb past 85mph, I hit 105mph at 5200rpms and grabbed 5th...and nothin' she pretty much stayed there, with maybe the most gradual of speed increases. At that point, I got what I needed to know and eased back into my normal riding speeds.

I got a lesson in riding the torque monster....lol. These bikes pull hard and get right up to speed in "normal" conditions but run out of breath in short order outside that envelope. I've always ridden this bike "in the torque" usually between 2400-3100rpms and it feels strong and does fine, I think I'll keep that up and leave the reving to the go-fast bikes....that actually go fast.

Taking these big bitches to the limit is always a little disappointing... Yours sounds exceptionally slow. All that wind management stuff it's probably like your pushing a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The fastest I have had my XC is 120mph ish and it's kind of scary.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
you have to wind it out to get there quicker.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Sounds to me like you need cams.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds to me like you need cams.
Not going to happen...I don't really care that its not "fast" above 85mph, that is not where I ride and I'm not ever going to put another dime into this bike to make it more powerful than it is.

Reactions: bodymanpainter

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Not going to happen...I don't really care that its not "fast" above 85mph, that is not where I ride and I'm not ever going to put another dime into this bike to make it more powerful than it is.

if you change your mind(im with you though) check out WYRD cams, they have a couple nice drop ins, better low end, quieter motor, better mpg, power delivery where we need it, not focused on top end.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
Yeah. The cams make a huge difference for not that much money. For folks with the Lloydz AF, timing wheel, PC-V, and a good set of mufflers it's really a no brainer to go the extra mile. They aren't hard to put in. The pull you get from them is nothing short of amazing for a big ole heavy beast these XC(T)'s are. Helps to push all that wind out of the way too.

Before cams - :(

After cams - :D

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
depends entirely how you ride, i wasnt impressed with the cams for normal daily riding, playing around, ya then they were fun, but thats not what or where i needed the power.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
Between the cams and the timing wheel; the low end torque made the bike ride more like a Harley which is what I came from.

Where I really notice the power boost is when I go onto a freeway uphill. I leave every other vehicle in the dust. It just pulls like no tomorrow and I get a genuine rush out of it. :)

If I only rode to go with the flow of traffic then the cams would be a waste. I tend to enjoy some spirited riding so for me they are a huge plus.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
just curious, did you go from stock to cams and tuned? or did you have stuff done, then cams?

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
just curious, did you go from stock to cams and tuned? or did you have stuff done, then cams?
Well, this was 4-5 years ago, so I did the muffler hole saw trick, and modified a K&N filter to work for better air flow, then let the dealer install the PC-V w/AT. I wanted to throw them a softball to see how they would do and they screwed it up. I did all my non-warranty work after that. That was the only thing I didn't do myself.

Put the cams in and let the AT do its thing and accepted the trims. Later put some stage 1 muffs on. Still later installed the Lloydz AF and later the timing wheel. Later still came the Thrush mod muffs and that's pretty much where I'm at now.

The XC is going to get a thorough going through between now and Spring time. It actually needs quite a bit before I can take another serious road trip with it. Rear tire, forks rebuilt, maybe Barnett clutch plates to handle the trailer, troubleshoot the belt issue and an extra vibration. Not sure if the bearings are bad or maybe the pulleys and belt need attention with some sandpaper. It's 5 years old so it's time. When it's done the KP will get a similar treatment. Should be good to go for another 5 years then because I split the mileage between the two bikes.

·
13,236 Posts
PaiN
Hope you had fun and didn't get any more gray hairs from it.
Enjoy what you have.
Love it the way guys with 650 pound bikes brag how they can beat a 875 pound bike

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PaiN
Hope you had fun and didn't get any more gray hairs from it.
Enjoy what you have.
Love it the way guys with 650 pound bikes brag how they can beat a 875 pound bike
I've always enjoyed this XC(well, minus the heat issues this year)...I really didn't even know it was such a dog until last Wednesday. I'm just blown away at how something that can feel like such a grunty beast at 40-60mph can go so flat on the top end. My old V-Max would start lifting the front end off the ground at 100mph if I nailed it and the Nighthawk 700s before that would scream to 140mph like nothing in my stupid kid era ....lol

1 - 20 of 101 Posts