Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed insurance over from my Wing to the Vic, the ins agent said I would get a refund of appx $225 ... wooo hooo I thought and off I went with a smile.

I got the cheque a couple days ago and then I started thinking about it....

This was for basic 3rd party insurance for only 7 months which I paid just under $600 for. How could the Vic, which is of the same size category, cost that much less???

So, I inquired.

Insurance/registration papers have a box for engine size in cubic centimeters. Motorcycles are rated based on that.

The Wing was 1800cc

The Victory, which is not a "Japanese" make, is listed as 106 .... cubic inches.

The insurance agent didn't realize that and put 106 in the cubic centimeters box which gave me an insurance rate for a motorcycle under 400cc.

Crap!!! ... now I got to go have my documentation re-done and give the money back . :crzy:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
When I changed insurance over from my Wing to the Vic, the ins agent said I would get a refund of appx $225 ... wooo hooo I thought and off I went with a smile.

This was for basic 3rd party insurance for only 7 months which I paid just under $600 for. How could the Vic, which is of the same size category, cost that much less???

So, I inquired.

Insurance/registration papers have a box for engine size in cubic centimeters. Motorcycles are rated based on that.

The Wing was 1800cc

The Victory, which is not a "Japanese" make, is listed as 106 .... cubic inches.

The insurance agent didn't realize that and put 106 in the cubic centimeters box which gave me an insurance rate for a motorcycle under 400cc.

Crap!!! ... now I got to go have my documentation re-done and give the money back . :crzy:
Curiosity killed the cat. Meow! Moral of the story: next time don't ask. For best results, just let the professionals handle it. :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curiosity killed the cat. Meow! Moral of the story: next time don't ask.
I'd have shut up.

Sure ... leave it alone and then when something happens and they disqualify you because it was incorrect (in this case not properly insured) ... I'd be paying thru the nose for the rest of my days.

Nope, I'm not the kind of guy to take that chance ... too old and too wise to let myself get screwed by some red tape mixup.

For best results, just let the professionals handle it. :D
When I want the best results, I become the "professional" coz nobody else is gonna look after my arse better than me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have shut up.
I notice you list a Harley luggage rack in your sig ... how is that working out for you? Any issues mounting it? Got any pics of it to share?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only number any insurer wanted from me is the VIN. That, if correct, eliminates all such problems. Puzzling that they would not want that but want a bunch of info they don't understand anyway.
Oh, you still have to provide the VIN but I guess they don't have a system that can determine the cc's based on VINs and it's the cc of the bike that determines the rate class around here.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Sure ... leave it alone and then when something happens and they disqualify you because it was incorrect (in this case not properly insured) ... I'd be paying thru the nose for the rest of my days.
You've done your part of providing everything that was asked of you (perhaps a copy of the bill of sale, bearing the VIN#, engine size, etc.). If you got into an accident and they discovered they had the wrong info and charging you the wrong rate, that has no bearing on you. It's their mistake. That's a 60 second case in court, which is why it would never make it to court. But, props to you for being honest. cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's their mistake. That's a 60 second case in court, which is why it would never make it to court.
Trusting them to own up to their mistake IMO is a big NO NO ... Insurance companies will do whatever they can do to get out of paying a claim. We have a government run insurance co here and the policies are sold via private insurance agencies so now you have a 3-way battle, one blaming the other ... and it probably would wind up in court ... meantime since the Ins co is not accepting blame and the agency is not accepting blame, I am being sued for liability .... and it takes months ... maybe years to be settled .... no friggin thank you! Too many horror stories that I've either been involved in or heard of when it involves insurance companies. Cover your own arse first... is my motto and for a couple hundred bucks in this case, it's well worth it.

It's a "buyer beware" world ...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Nope. It's on the insurance company. You gave all documentation you are covered. Not a problem, ever. BTW if your insurance company can't figure rates based on VIN I would start looking for a new company. If their technology is that antiquated I would imagine a claim would take months. To pay out

·
Registered
539 Posts
Trusting them to own up to their mistake IMO is a big NO NO ... Insurance companies will do whatever they can do to get out of paying a claim. We have a government run insurance co here and the policies are sold via private insurance agencies so now you have a 3-way battle, one blaming the other ... and it probably would wind up in court ... meantime since the Ins co is not accepting blame and the agency is not accepting blame, I am being sued for liability .... and it takes months ... maybe years to be settled .... no friggin thank you! Too many horror stories that I've either been involved in or heard of when it involves insurance companies. Cover your own arse first... is my motto and for a couple hundred bucks in this case, it's well worth it.

It's a "buyer beware" world ...
I'm with you, your probably better off having it right. If you never had an accident then you might save some money. If something happens and the insurance company tries to get out of it and a court rules they have to pay, the court is probably going to also rule you have to make back premium payments for what you should have been paying all along, that could add up. The hassle would not be worth the money IMO. Also let's face it, if something happens on a bike you might not be around to deal with it, it may end up on your family.

So I think you did the right thing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. It's on the insurance company. You gave all documentation you are covered. Not a problem, ever. BTW if your insurance company can't figure rates based on VIN I would start looking for a new company. If their technology is that antiquated I would imagine a claim would take months. To pay out
First of all, you (and others) are probably right... it's on the ins co. But knowing what I know, an ins co will use any trick in the book to either get out of paying a claim or delay it or, for that matter, find a way to reduce the amount... and that my friends is a fact!

As for looking for another ins co... as I mentioned above, our ins co is government run ... in other words, there is only ONE ins co here in British Columbia Canada where we can (and are required) to get our basic liability insurance and lic plates. Beyond that (extra coverage such as collision, comprehensive, etc) can be purchased privately.

Now I don't know anything about how their technology works but being that we pay some of the highest premiums anywhere, the fact that it's run by the government so when they want more money, they either tax us more or raise the rates or both, I would be willing to bet that they have some of the most up-to-date technology you can get. In any event, I am now curious about that so I will be looking into it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also let's face it, if something happens on a bike you might not be around to deal with it, it may end up on your family.

So I think you did the right thing.
Now there is a very interesting point and a stark reality that many folks, including me, do not even think about.

When we are gone... who picks up the tab?

Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW y'all ... all the comments are making for a very interesting discussion.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
CR, I do not understand your attitude. I always deal honestly in every situation. There is no way I would let the insurance company think that I had a 106 cc engine when it is really a 1731 cc engine. Even if I made out in some way by misleading them, it would eventually come back to haunt me. I fully understand that I might have a short term benefit from a misunderstanding, but what will happen next? Will that insurance company be punitive in the next policy year? Will they put me on a list that makes it hard for me to get insurance anywhere? I have no clue, but if I always deal honestly I am guaranteed to get a fair deal again next year and for many years to come. In the long run, honesty is the best policy.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts

So, I inquired.

The Wing was 1800cc

I pay $293 full coverage for the year, I think you are paying to much.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Now there is a very interesting point and a stark reality that many folks, including me, do not even think about.

When we are gone... who picks up the tab?

Thanks for pointing that out!
On the back of your policy it says who they pay the money to, if it is financed the money goes to the bank to pay off the loan..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Curiosity killed the cat. Meow! Moral of the story: next time don't ask. For best results, just let the professionals handle it. :D
+1. If they screw up it's on them, not you.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
CR, I do not understand your attitude.
I do not have an attitude. Maybe that explains why my attitude was not understood. :D

In the long run, honesty is the best policy.
I am not disputing that. Honesty is the best policy, indeed. I did not suggest misleading anybody. But in this case, we're talking about doing extra work to verify that the insurance company has done their job right. Some of you guys must have a lot more time on your hands than I do, which is why I say: "More Power To You!" cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts