Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Cool, see you on the 11th at the B-17 fly by.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You're a good story teller, Dana. I enjoyed reading the article. It was great to learn that you established the link between the two pilots, some 70 years later, and thousands of miles away from the rescue site. thumb up

·
Registered
124 Posts
god bless you dana for bring them two together!! as a vet myself i wish i could afford to make it out to cal just to shake there hands, they are true heros, GOD BLESS THEM BOTH thumb upthumb upthumb up

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Great way to start the day... Now if you tell me they both are thinking of picking up a couple used ViC's... lol... Great read!thumb up

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Truly a Small World

If I may coast on your coat tails a bit Dana, I'd like to share a quick story. My father was flight engineer onboard a B-24 that was flying a mission over Anzio, Italy on 17 February 1944. Unfortunatley, after dropping their pay load, my dad's bomber and a second B-24 also flying the tail of the formation, were shot down by anti-aircraft flak. Dad, one of three crewmembers from his plane that survived, was captured by the Germans. He later escaped from a prison camp transport train with two British solders and, after a couple of months of fighting along side Italian rebels, made his way back to allied territory. Dad passed away in 1985 and never did say much about his war experiances. I tried for years to get a copy of the escape and evasion report detailing his exploits and, finally, in 2007, I was successful. I was obviously elated to finally get details about my dads incredible experiences and I was sharing the news with coworkers and friends at the nursing home where I was working. The daughter of one of my patients said I should talk with her father because he had also been a prisoner of war, so the next time he came in I brought up the topic. He was a wonderfully warm hearted old dude and he was happy to share his story with me. As it turns out, he was an infantryman with an Army unit fighting the Germans at Anzio, Italy. He and his platoon were apparently seperated from the main company, surrounded by the Germans and ultimately captured. As I recall he spent a little over a year in a German prison camp before he was able to get home on a prisoner exchange deal. After listening to his amazing story, I shared my news about finally getting the official report on my father and how he had been shot down over Anzio. Now this is where it gets weird...the old guy gets a contemplative look on his face and says, "You know that's funny. I remember seeing a couple of B-24s getting shot down." As the hair began to rise on the back of my neck, I asked him, "do you happen to remember when that was?" And as God is my witness, this proud veteran and member of America's greatest generation tells me, "I'll never forget...it was the day I was captured, 17 February 1944." Sixty three years later and here I was talking face to face with an old soldier who had actually been there when my fathers plane was shot down over Anzio. Truly a small frickin world...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great way to start the day... Now if you tell me they both are thinking of picking up a couple used ViC's... lol... Great read!thumb up
That would be pretty cool and it would not surprise me. At 90 years old, Herb (the former B-24 Liberator pilot) told me the other morning when he returned home from the gym that he has taken up helicopter lessons! On the other hand, Lynn (the former P-38 Lightning pilot) gets nervous when he sees me on my Jackpot because his brother was killed on his Harley when he was hit by a train.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing that truly incredible story. A friend up in Montana sent me her Dad's journal that he kept as a navigator on a B-24 Liberator while flying over 20 missions out of Italy. I told her about The Library of Congress and their project to honor these men permanently. You might want to follow up regarding your Father and the other Veteran. Here is some info for you and a link:

Veterans History Project (Library of Congress)
Home Page for the Veterans History Project, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress. Motivated by the urgent need to collect the stories and experiences of …

www.loc.gov/vet
thumb up

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Thanks for sharing that truly incredible story. A friend up in Montana sent me her Dad's journal that he kept as a navigator on a B-24 Liberator while flying over 20 missions out of Italy. I told her about The Library of Congress and their project to honor these men permanently. You might want to follow up regarding your Father and the other Veteran. Here is some info for you and a link:

Veterans History Project (Library of Congress)
Home Page for the Veterans History Project, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress. Motivated by the urgent need to collect the stories and experiences of …

www.loc.gov/vet
thumb up
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a look!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, see you on the 11th at the B-17 fly by.
Yesterday (Feb 9) I rolled by www.lyonairmuseum.org to drop off a few items when I discovered they had the B-17 out on the tarmac for a "training" run! I hung around long enough to catch them firing up those massive radial engines, warm them up, run them up to taxi speed, wait for clearance from the tower, taxi by in front of me to the end of the runway then lift off in what appears to be slow motion! I had my Cannon is570 along and here are a few fotos I took:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
More WWII Bomber pics

Here a some pics I took of the Confederate Air Force bombers that visited Manchester, NH a couple of years back. I snuck one in of my son manning the waist gun of a B-24 (just like his Grandpa!) thumb up

Aviation Week 006 (2).jpg

Aviation Week 001.jpg

Aviation Week 017.jpg

Aviation Week 014 (2).jpg

Aviation Week 013.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dana

Great story. Well owe so much to those blokes. We wouldn't have all the freedoms we have today if it wasn't for the likes of them.

God bless.thumb up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts