Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't seem to be too long ago that my wife and I were commenting on all the big SUV's and trucks that we were seeing for sale everywhere. Now, looks like the gas prices could get as low as a buck.

While I'm tickled to see these prices I'll have to admit that it is a little unsettling. I keep feeling like the hammer is going to drop, the world will end, and I'll be looking for Rick and Daryl to lead us around when the zombies start popping up.

Gasoline prices move closer to $1 a gallon

It seems that every day the price of a gallon of regular gasoline moves inexorably closer to $1 a gallon. In Amarillo, Texas, a gallon cost $1.69 Tuesday, a penny less than it did the day before, according to GasBuddy. The honor for the lowest state price for a gallon goes to Missouri, where the average price dropped two cents Tuesday to $1.79. GasBuddy reports that the current U.S. average price is $2.022, the lowest price so far in 2015.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Gas will NEVER be 1.00 in Taxachusetts . MA wants to tax drivers per mile they drive per year , WTF ! I want to KEEP my Fucking money not keep giving it away .:mad:

·
13,048 Posts
$1.97 in minnesota today
The government couldn't handle it if gas got to $1.00 a gallon.
They would have to raise our taxes a 100%.
Car companies would go broke

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
One of the problems of people using less gas is that less road tax is collected. That has the effect that the infrastructure IE bridges, roads see less or no maintenance. Also, there's less money to build new roads, bridges, etc.

You may wonder why I'm bringing that up, I certainly don't want to pay more taxes and I HAVE a gas guzzling full size pickup so the low prices mean I can actually afford to drive it. They will figure out a way to tap our pockets all the while giving billions away to support countries that don't even like us. Trust me, the bastards won't let it get too low, big oil owns most of the idiots in Congress.

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of the problems of people using less gas
People are not using less gas... OPEC decided not to lower its oil processing quota so the gas supplies will continue to be high which means lower prices at the pump continuing indefinitely.

All of this is doing a number on the stock market and if by chance we did see even lower (closer to $1) gas prices, we may see a great upheaval in the oil producing kingdom.

As long as we are dependent on fuel to either power our machines or produce our electricity, prices will fluctuate.

Consider if all out war were to develop with ISIS, like a WWIII, then you would definitely see a return of higher gas prices at the pump.

We need to pay attention to whats going on...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The average fuel economy of all vehicles on the road in the USA has gotten substantially better over time so fuel used per mile driven has gone down. However, the number of miles that the average person drives has increased over the same time although not as much as the fuel mileage has gone down. So looking at this on the basis of gallons of fuel purchased per vehicle, the amount has decreased over time. Since most gas taxes are based on a fixed amount per gallon of gas, the amount of tax raised per car has decreased over time. Offsetting this to some extent is the increase in population which leads to more cars on the road. This increase in population and vehicles on the road is a double-edged sword. On the one edge, it increases the amount of fuel used, gas tax taken in, and money available for much needed road/bridge repair. On the other edge, more vehicles on the road leads to more wear and tear on the roads so more money is needed for road/bridge repair. From what I have read, a reasonable way of looking at the cost of repairs needed for maintenance of the nations roads and bridges is on a per vehicle basis. That is, the amount of money needed is a fixed amount (increasing at least at the rate of inflation) per vehicle. Looking at it this way, it is clear that improved fuel economy with the commensurate decrease in gallons of fuel used leads to a reduction in the money brought in per vehicle. Thus we fall further behind in the much needed infrastructure repair.

I hate taxes as much if not more than most but the state of our nations roads and bridges is dismal and should be a major concern of our government at all levels.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm seeing more vehicles than ever. I'm seeing lots of bigger newer trucks/SUV's than I've ever seen. A lot of folks are hanging on to their's longer and so that good mpg has gone down over time.

To top it all... most of these huge machines have only one person in them.

I don't really give a rip! But I do look at signs of the times and something tells me we are going to catch it for the cheap gas.

We have turmoil in the world and it is definitely getting closer to home. Another big terror scare like 9/11 or a hurricane Katrina, and the US could not only end up paying through the nose for gasoline but also for other consumables.

My women at home go thru a ton of toilet paper... Damn! What if it gets to be 4 bucks for a role of that thin single-ply crap? Oh my!!!

That's something to worry about? :eek :grin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil fell below $37 a barrel on Thursday

OPEC is still pumping like there is no tomorrow.

Wow! I can't see them letting it get much lower but... somebody somewhere is going to stir the pot. Just wait!

Trump is a shock jock! He gets attention. He ain't dumb but still an idgit.

Those OPEC guys are smart too and have something up their sleeves even though the pundits say this is a market strategy.

All around the world we have big money people running things or attempting to. Their interest is making more of it like they can take it with them... me and momma are just trying to get by.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! You guys don't seem to have much to say about gas prices.

That's okay! It's one of those things I guess we sometimes take for granted until it gets to be a nuisance. After the 2009 financial fiasco, the price shot way up and so did our gas card wife and I were using. I got all over her one day when I found out that she was not paying it off each month. She yelled... HOW CAN I? We ran the sucker up to the limit (which I will not tell) and could no longer use the card. yeah! It was bad.

We have since paid it off but if things had continued to go south, I don't know what we would have done. We had a kid in college, one in HS, high gas and grocery prices, and the pay raises next to nothing. Plus, her mom was living with us. For the first time ever, my company was not placing people in a different position if their jobs phased out, they were shown the door and we all were taking up the slack.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
$1.61 today in Oklahoma... They gas companies got plenty from me when it was near $5 so **** them. They should have saved some money for hard times like they told me when I was complaining about how high it was.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Glad I keep mine..:grin..I did end up buying a beater car for work when gas was outrageous....:laugh

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks ,
to much money into it to sell it....plus I love it...thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Nice rig Hemidan. I have an '02 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 (codename dog engine). It's starting to rust out something fierce. :(
This is an old pic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice rig Hemidan. I have an '02 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 (codename dog engine). It's starting to rust out something fierce. :(
This is an old pic.

Nice
Mine is a 2004 , just a little rust spot on the driver rocker panel.
I had the rear fenders replaced by dealer because of rust , early on.Under warranty.Where they are know to rust.
Really hard to keep from rusting here in Michigan ,where if you get a inch of snow they put down tons of salt....lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts