Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through a dealer web sight at the visions. saw a sliver and black one that caught my eye (raider fan in me).went down just to look at it. nice but out of price range. naturally guy comes over and says we have this 08 premium with 1860 mi on it give to you for 14995. i asked for 7000.00 for mine after lookin at it he said he would do it. is 14999 a good price for this year of bike i asked for another 1000 of he said he couldnt do it. it rode great what a difference over my kp. but i have no payment now dont know if i want one. wife loves it.. then again when she first got on kp she loved that one too. just lookin for opinions on the price if it is a fair one or not. its got all the toys except for the gps. stereo, cruise cntrl, heated seats and grips.thanks for your input.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You didn't say whether its a vision tour or vision street.
Not having seen either bike:
His asking price of $15K is high, but the amount he's giving you in trade is equally high.
KBB lists an 06 KP at $5500 trade value...

It comes down to whether you think $8,000 plus your bike is a good deal.
You state the Vision has less than 2000 miles, that's almost new.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If it were me, I would pass. I looked at a '11 with Silver and Black with about 10k for $15k at my local. The '11 has ALL the bells and whistles, stock, such as HID light and ABS. Check on CycleTrader in your area if you really want to pick one up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,177 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry it is a 2008 vision tour premium. auto wind shield heated seats and grips stereo ipod hook up. no gps though. i know i could do better with a private seller but need the trade in value which he is givin top dollar for. i ended up gettin him down to 14500.00. I love my kp but after riding this it was like WHAT????? The wife is the one really pushin for it.. she loved the back seat..plus 1800 mi hasnt even had its diaper changed yet.lol.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Was it MoM south?

Just saying the demo truck is coming there this week end I think. They are willing to deal anytime but really put on the dog when they have the demo truck in the lot.

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
sorry it is a 2008 vision tour premium. auto wind shield heated seats and grips stereo ipod hook up. no gps though. i know i could do better with a private seller but need the trade in value which he is givin top dollar for. i ended up gettin him down to 14500.00. I love my kp but after riding this it was like WHAT????? The wife is the one really pushin for it.. she loved the back seat..plus 1800 mi hasnt even had its diaper changed yet.lol.
Just be flexible, and give in. Let your wife win this one. cheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. It is very low miles...that's a plus. The dealership near me, which says "we beat anyone's price" has a 2012 Vision leftover with all the bells and whistles for $18K. I believe the main difference between a 2008 & 2012 is the tranny. Suppose to get 5 K miles between oil changes on the 12 and only 2500 miles between changes on the 08. Not sure of the reasoning there, but the 12's and newer have helical cut gears (I think 5th and 6th but can't remember for sure) which may account for the mileage difference between oil changes. Good luck...remember....when Mama's happy.......she'll let you keep buyin' bikes!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pop,yes it is moms south. they are not easy to deal with. the bike started off at 15999 took 1000 off and i was able to get another 500 off. i wanted 13500 they said they dont have that kind of room. which i know is crap. the only thing making this go forward is what im gettin for my bike. i really like my kp. no payments too boot but the wife want to ride to NH with me and after test riding the vision said she feels safer on that vs the kp. damn women never happy. she said the same thing about my kp with the mustang seat vs my 04 vegas with stk seat.any how thats why im up at 2 am.I have a hard tim with big decisions like this. but i can say the vision ride is very sweet.had it up to 90 with the wife on durin test ride and she never even knew it. i never hit those speeds with her on but wanted to see what it would do.not disappointed i must say.if i go through with it i wont be looking for that luggage rack to fit with mustang seat anymore.thanks for all your input guys.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SN, 16 on the floor and you wheedled them down 1500 plus high trade. So far you been doing a fair job of chiseling away at the rock. I use book value as a bargaining chip but at the end of the day a deal is what I decided that I will pay and anything that I see as an improvement on that number is a great deal. I'm not the book and don't buy bikes to sell them. That's the dealers job.

I would go back when the demo truck is there. Those kind of events are triggers for moving inventory, new and used. They will be incentivized to deal and hell, it's a chance to try a bunch of different rides and get free lunch.

Remember who has the upper hand in this. They have bikes they have to sell. You have a bike already. You can be interested without committing. It's their job to get you to decide to swap. Don't pull the trigger if you don't like the deal. There's other deals and the deal they offer is just an offer.

·
Premium Member
13,627 Posts
If I remember right; 08 is the first year of the Vision and they had some problems. I believe those issues were covered by Victory but you might want to be sure and do some research on it then make sure those issues have been resolved.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I remember right; 08 is the first year of the Vision and they had some problems. I believe those issues were covered by Victory but you might want to be sure and do some research on it then make sure those issues have been resolved.
thanks i will do that..

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

found a few electrical recalls will check them out thanks.thumb up

·
Registered
229 Posts
Go for it!

My wife & I traded her 05 KP with 17000 mi. last December for my 08 Vision street custom. Now she rides my HB. Before we traded, I thought about adding a Wide Open Custom fairing and saddle bags to make the KP into a tourer. I realized I would've put more $ into the KP to make it the way I wanted than the asking price on a fully customized Vision street. The Vision had 47000 mi. on her but miles don't really matter to these bikes. I haven't had any issues with my Vision other than it being a little hard to find neutral at times, but i think you're already used to that, being on an 06 KP. Added Bonus, now I have 6 speeds, cruise, a 106 with cams, timing gear & a pcIII where I could be stuck with a 92 5 speed with no motor work at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Looking at doing the same trade, KP for Vision. If Momma's behind you, go for it! I still have payments, so it wouldn't be much different. Good luck with the decision, but closed loop ignition and the 106 engine would sell me a new KP over an '06. I just gotta get Momma on board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased an 08 Vision Tour from a local dealer a couple of weeks ago. The bike had 19k miles on it and was in overall very good condition. I was only able to negotiate the price from 12999 down to 12750. That price was on the high side of retail but I thought it was fair and here's why. Their shop went through the entire bike, changed all fluids, two brand new tires, rebuilt the forks due to a leak and replaced the windshield.

So I just thought I would pipe in and give you a reference point on a recent purchase of a similar bike. From the looks of your deal that's on the table now, he's giving you more on trade instead of discounting the Vision. I think someone mentioned that your bike's book value is around 5500 (accurate or not, I don't know). So if you take that 1500 on move it over to the other side as a discount it would bring the purchase price down to 13k. Just another way to look at the deal.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
this is all I found out your way. Now you have a idea what there selling for.
Not EXACTLY. Now he knows what others are ASKING for theirs. That is often a far cry from the ACTUAL sales price. The Ness Vision also isn't "just a plain ole Vision" but rather can demand a higher price due to it's lineage, diamond-cut heads, etc. So, the average of those (without the Ness) is a $13K "asking" price and the odds are pretty good that most (if not all of them) would take at least a grand less so the "street price for an '08 could probably be closer to $11,500 than $13K. The only thing really going for the one @ Moms is the low miles.

One thing that many buyers don't understand is that the dealerships KNOW that you are shopping and not BUYING. The OP should try the $13,500 target once more by saying something more concrete demonstrating that you WILL buy it for that price so they KNOW that you aren't simply trying to whittle them down little-by-little. You could say something like "If that was Ness edition, I'd pay the premium but it's not so that's your final offer and that you have a appointment to check out another one at a lower price point this weekend...type of thing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not EXACTLY. Now he knows what others are ASKING for theirs. That is often a far cry from the ACTUAL sales price. The Ness Vision also isn't "just a plain ole Vision" but rather can demand a higher price due to it's lineage, diamond-cut heads, etc. So, the average of those (without the Ness) is a $13K "asking" price and the odds are pretty good that most (if not all of them) would take at least a grand less so the "street price for an '08 could probably be closer to $11,500 than $13K. The only thing really going for the one @ Moms is the low miles.

One thing that many buyers don't understand is that the dealerships KNOW that you are shopping and not BUYING. The OP should try the $13,500 target once more by saying something more concrete demonstrating that you WILL buy it for that price so they KNOW that you aren't simply trying to whittle them down little-by-little. You could say something like "If that was Ness edition, I'd pay the premium but it's not so that's your final offer and that you have a appointment to check out another one at a lower price point this weekend...type of thing.
i have told them more than once i already have a bike i like with no payments so i dont need this one.Moms is very difficult to deal with. they seem to want what they want and thats it. i was told on monday that it had a ipod hook up but upon lookin further into it i did not see a white cable in the "glove box" just an av jack. so when they call today im tellin them it better have ipod or go jump in a lake.not ditchin out $100 plus install.end of story.guess we shall see. its the financing part that keeps my options limited. had to declare bankruptcy due to 2010 flooding in ri. lost everything including my 04 vegas that i just paid off in nov of 09.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Yup, first year issues! Also, don't forget, ABS wasn't available ... radio issues, 2500 mile oil changes vs. 5000 for '11 and newer... suspension changes after 08. Different cam carrier setup after 09... Different ACM. Man, I'm not sure I would get an '08 given that there's really little price difference between that '08 and a used '11.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts