Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike starts and runs for about 2 seconds and acts like its running out of fuel. The fuel pressure is a whopping 5psi. I know its not the fuel filter clogged because it will fill a 20oz coke bottle in 10-15 seconds while turning the motor over. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the $400+ fuel pump?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
My bike starts and runs for about 2 seconds and acts like its running out of fuel. The fuel pressure is a whopping 5psi. I know its not the fuel filter clogged because it will fill a 20oz coke bottle in 10-15 seconds while turning the motor over. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the $400+ fuel pump?
Is this for a V92C or a Vision? Please add year/model of your bike to your signature.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Fuel pump in electric motor and when it dies it's dead. My Pump died on me once and I was just dead in the water. When pump dies it wouldn't even prime and sounds like yours does.

Agree with fourinch pistons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My friends 08 jackpot had a bad fuel pump and it gave him pinging at high rpm. It did finally gust give out on day. And left him stranded. He sent it off to Vicbuilder to have it rebuilt. Cheaper then buying a new one and, from what I understand, better then the new ones as well. The new gas we use has a tendency to eat up gaskets, especially if we let them sit, and that could allow gas to be bypassing right back into the tank. Sounds like pump is fine but not good pressure = bad performance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know what bike your driving but if a v92 it should be around 47psi.
If you're not a daily rider and the bike sits up for long periods of time chances are that the filters have deteriorated and clogged your pump motor. My guess as to why it runs for a few seconds is because its burning the fuel in the line but can't continue to run because it has no pressure.
Contact Rylan Vos at The Vic Shop. He will rebuild it better than stock with better parts at a very reasonable cost. Much cheaper than buying a new one.
Call Rylan, don't email. You can find his number on the website.
http://thevicshop.com/Fuel_Pump_Assemblies.html

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Are you checking the presure before or after the filter? If after, your filter is clogged. It runs briefly because a little fuel will get through as it sits, but not enough to run it for any length of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike is an 04 vegas with 13k miles. Sorry I thought I put that in there... I would think that if it was a clogged filter or line that it would still build pressure if nothing else when you take the line off and put your thumb over the end of the line. But I can stop the fuel line with my finger and it don't build any pressure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bike is an 04 vegas with 13k miles. Sorry I thought I put that in there... I would think that if it was a clogged filter or line that it would still build pressure if nothing else when you take the line off and put your thumb over the end of the line. But I can stop the fuel line with my finger and it don't build any pressure.
An 04 with only 13k? My guess is that the fuel filters have surely deteriorated and killed your pump.

Call Rylan @ the Vic shop as posted above.

·
13,231 Posts
If it the fuel pump call the Vick shop he rebuilds pumps
http://thevicshop.com/

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I think I joined the ranks of the 2002-2008 fuel pump failure club.
I was hauling a$$ on the highway and exited onto the service road. At the light the bike didn't sound right and started sputtering and then stalled. When I tried to start it the fuel pump sounded much differently then it usually does when it primes. It sounded low and muffled instead of the usual high pitch wine when it primes. Anyone else have that happen to them?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
So I may be an idiot because while I was riding I knew I was getting low on gas but my light didn't come on. That's about when it started sputtering and stalled. I was right by a gas station so I pulled in and filled up. It still wouldn't start and the fuel pump didn't sound right. The next day I tried to prime the pump again about 5 times and then it started making that familiar whine like it was working. It fired up and I rode it home. It seems like I ran it dry and the pump was so dry that it needed extra time to fill up and prime the fuel system. I still didn't see the light come on though. Maybe the sun glare was hiding the light. :crzy: oh well

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Ha ha funny .... Hope running dry has not damage it and you can use it for years to come

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
So I may be an idiot because while I was riding I knew I was getting low on gas but my light didn't come on. That's about when it started sputtering and stalled. I was right by a gas station so I pulled in and filled up. It still wouldn't start and the fuel pump didn't sound right. The next day I tried to prime the pump again about 5 times and then it started making that familiar whine like it was working. It fired up and I rode it home. It seems like I ran it dry and the pump was so dry that it needed extra time to fill up and prime the fuel system. I still didn't see the light come on though. Maybe the sun glare was hiding the light. :crzy: oh well
Sun glare can mask it yeah.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a thought for the next rider it happens to....

Under the RH cheese wedge is a schrader valve, looks like a tire stem. This is where you check the fuel pressure with a gauge that attaches here. Maybe the fuel system had some air trapped between the pump and the injectors. Pressing on the center of the valve (like letting air out of a tire) while the pump is trying to prime would help to purge the fuel rail of the trapped air? YMMV

·
13,231 Posts
go to auto store rent a pressure tester and find out.
The vic shop has a video on youtube on how to.
Him and witchdoctor has video on how to replace the pump

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
The fuel pump on my '08 Jackpot with 24k miles has recently started making a loud wining noise while the engine is running. I hear it at idle mostly because at speed the exhaust masks any other noises. Several months ago I ran the tank dry trying to get home and now I'm wondering if that caused any damage.

I found new fuel pumps on Ebay for around $110 but maybe I need to pull it all out of the tank and inspect the soft parts for ethanol damage?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts