Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world. Rode the occasional dirt bike growing up, but never owned one. I recently completed a motorcycle safety course, and have been looking at bikes for months.

I made the mistake (or good fortune) of wandering into a Victory dealership and fell in love with the 8-Ball.

Just wondering how other people feel about this as a first bike?

·
Account closed.
39 Posts
Hey Bigred. First of all, welcome to the forum. I had the same misfortune as you, if that's what we're calling it. I walked out with the Vegas 8ball. Absolutely fell in love with it. This was the end of January and my first bike of mine. Like you, I road random bikes growing up, some dirt, some lil 250s of friends of mine. Never owned one though, and NEVER rode a machine like this.

Opinion as my first bike: Other than my house, hands down the best purchase I've ever made. I love this thing. It's been flawless from day one and I have almost 6k miles on it now. I ride the bejeesus out of it. It does command your attention and respect though.

This is a stout machine and wants to be ridden. No slight throttle twist will make it happy, it wants to be throttled. The rake took a little getting used to when it came to steering at slow speeds, at least that's what I attributed it to. The clutch has a shorter grey area than what I was used to, causing it to stall a couple times leaving from a stop. I had it down within 24 hours though. For me it is very comfortable. I've read a couple folks complain about the seat. I just went on a day ride with another member here last weekend that did last all day: 7am to 330pm. I was comfy the whole way. The transmission is fun as well. You need to be pretty deliberate while shifting, no pussy footing from one gear to the next (or previous). I've come to love hammering it in 1st and enjoying the "clunk". Unfortunately as it gets more miles, the tranny gets quieter. I liked the noises, I'm weird that way.

Really enjoy the lower seat height. Lowering your center of gravity really helps in my opinion. Other than being able to put your feet flat at a stop, it makes handling easier and very enjoyable as it kind of gives you more of an aggressive "attitude", for lack of a better explanation. This bike also affords you a lot of different riding positions; from the sportier tucked down, the straight up "proper" position, to what I call a lazyboy position. I really enjoy just stretching out and leaning back on it.

One thing to keep in mind, it is a noisy bike, and I don't mean exhaust. It has all sorts of weird little noises that come and go. I used to fret and stress about every little noise it made. Come to find out, they're just noisy and it's normal. Some noises come, some go, some come then go, some never go, and some change. Search around here, you'll find a few posts with questions regarding noises and the Vegas model.

One thing is fo sho: If you're looking for an all black cruiser, this is your gurl. How they get by only charging 12,500 for this is beyond me. It sure isn't lacking quality. If you want more of a touring bike, look at one of the Victory Cross bikes. More coin, but a lot more features.

Hope this helps you out. Any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im new to the motorcycle world as well, I bought a Honda shadow 750 last July & learned on it. Well, I only had it about 2 months before I was wanting more bike!! I purchased a 2010 Vegas and I couldn't be happier!! I also think its easier to ride than the Honda. I think the balance of the Victory is the most noticeable. Im not comparing the two bikes because they are totally different price bikes but I am extremely happy with my Victory!!thumb upthumb up

·
Account closed.
39 Posts
Im new to the motorcycle world as well, I bought a Honda shadow 750 last July & learned on it. Well, I only had it about 2 months before I was wanting more bike!! I purchased a 2010 Vegas and I couldn't be happier!! I also think its easier to ride than the Honda. I think the balance of the Victory is the most noticeable. Im not comparing the two bikes because they are totally different price bikes but I am extremely happy with my Victory!!thumb upthumb up

Good point. I forgot to mention the balance. Mine is very well balanced. I can come to a complete stop and keep my feet up for a couple seconds. They did a great job on this aspect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I have decided I'm going with Victory, now the decision just come down to new or used.
I've found a couple used Kingpins locally. One is an 06 with stage 1 he's asking $8k. The other is an 09 Kingpin 8-ball; he's asking $8.5k. Anything to look out for in those years?

I know I can get the 12 Vegas 8-ball for $11.5k max, but I'm hoping to negotiate a bit lower.

The wife is obviously pushing me towards used...decisions decisions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts