Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I am hoping some of you can give me some good advice and honest opinions. I currently have a Honda VTX but i am considering getting a touring bike. I looked at the Victory Touring bikes at a local dealer and would like to know what people really think about them. I am concerned that there are not a whole lot of dealerships. And how do they hold up etc. We have looked at a few and the Victory seems to have a lot of room for my wife and plenty of leg room for me. Any opinions ?
Thanks !
Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I had a GoldWIng 1800 for 10 years, and a Suzuki Cavalcade before that. I was seriously looking for an HD Ultra Classic, but I felt cramped on it. The heel-toe shifter kept trapping my foot and I just didn't feel like I had the room.

I tried the Cross Country Tour, and I was blown away. Hardly any wind buffeting, good power (more of that comes cheaply), very comfortable and major leg room. It out-handled the HD by a mile. It also has an amazing amount of storage.

If you haven't yet, you owe it to yourself to ride one.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I had a GoldWIng 1800 for 10 years, and a Suzuki Cavalcade before that. I was seriously looking for an HD Ultra Classic, but I felt cramped on it. The heel-toe shifter kept trapping my food and I just didn't feel like I had the room.

I tried the Cross Country Tour, and I was blown away. Hardly any wind buffeting, good power (more of that comes cheaply), very comfortable and major leg room. It out-handled the HD by a mile. It also has an amazing amount of storage.

If you haven't yet, you owe it to yourself to ride one.
+1
:I agree:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Talk about timing...
I just picked up my 2014 Cross Country Tour from a dealer 3 hours away.
This is the first time riding a bike of this size.
I found it very comfortable and smooth on the road.
I was not sore after 3 hours of riding it home.
I couldn't really put it through the paces as I am still breaking it in.
It was chilly here and I used the grip heaters and they were great!!
I stopped at a coffee shop on the way and simply threw my full face helmet, glasses and gloves into the large trunk, locked it and didn't worry about it.
I have not used 6th gear yet, looking forward to trying it on the big highways soon.
I haven't had a chance to use half the options on this bike yet, it's an exciting learning experience.
These are just a few of my thoughts on the short time that I have had with my bike.
Let us know what you finally decide.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I will jump in for the Vision. It does not have the storage capacity of the XCT but I liked the ride better. It was close. The adjustable windshield and hydraulic clutch and just how the Vision handles won me over. It took awhile for the looks to grow on me, but I think either bike is a good choice.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
How well do they hold up? So well that an extended warranty is a waste of money.
If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do your own service work.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Well I will jump in for the Vision. It does not have the storage capacity of the XCT but I liked the ride better. It was close. The adjustable windshield and hydraulic clutch and just how the Vision handles won me over. It took awhile for the looks to grow on me, but I think either bike is a good choice.
I agree with you on the hydraulic clutch. So much so, I put one on my XCT :)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I love my Vision. It is a year old now and has been fairly reliable. So far I have gone to a dealer 3 times. 500 mile service, 5000 mile service and a warranty claim for a bad starter clutch at 9000 miles. That was on a 15 degree day and, from what I can tell using searches, when the starter clutches fail it is in the extreme cold, not normal riding weather. When they replaced my starter clutch they did the 10,000 miles service because they had to drain the oil to get at it. Today the bike is sitting at around 12,000 miles and I never worry about how close I will find a dealer when I am on the road.
Yes, I ride in the cold. With good clothing, good wind protection and the heated grips on the Vision I am good down to where the bike itself has trouble starting, around 15F.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your input gang. I really appreciate it. One concern I have is the dealer (Stealer) locally are a bunch of useless dicks. When I bought my Honda VTX I went to another town. It was kinda of a pain in the ass to go back to that dealer. That is one concern I have is buying a bike elsewhere and having to take it to this dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Thanks for all your input gang. I really appreciate it. One concern I have is the dealer (Stealer) locally are a bunch of useless dicks. When I bought my Honda VTX I went to another town. It was kinda of a pain in the ass to go back to that dealer. That is one concern I have is buying a bike elsewhere and having to take it to this dealer.
Can relate to what you saying there .. Fortunately with a Victory shouldn't have to worry about this too much .. Have 26,000+ Miles on my Cross Country and only time ever been to the Dealer for any maintenance was because I wanted to take it there .. Did 500 and 5,000 Mile service on it there since then has been my Bike ..

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gatorjoe!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I have a dealer just spittin' distance from my house and I don't think they are ever going to see my bike in their shop. Short of some major catastrophe, I do my own work on my XR and enjoy doing it too.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was wondering something else. how hard is it to back it up ? ie in a parking space?
i know that sounds silly but i have new knees ( only 2 years old ha ha ) and that makes a difference

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
i was wondering something else. how hard is it to back it up ? ie in a parking space?
i know that sounds silly but i have new knees ( only 2 years old ha ha ) and that makes a difference
There is an available reverse gear, if that's a problem for you.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Ricz at least i know its available. i can always put it on latyer if it becomes an issue. my VTX is about 800 with all the bling on it

·
Registered
784 Posts
Try it out. The seat hight is pretty low on the Vision and the XBikes. Both are well balanced and carry their weight well. XCT fit us best, along with extra storage, but the VIsion was good enough. I thought the Vision would be the way to go off a Goldwing, it would never have pulled me off it though. The XCT did. We have a trailer so storage wasn't too much of a concern for travelling, but now we don't need it.
Anyone need a trailer? LOL I'll get around to putting a hitch on it one of these days.
Happy Shopping

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish they had a better selection of colors. I went to the dealer today and looked at the XCT. It feels good sitting on it. I think we are going to test ride one tomorrow. I didn't ask but I hope they have a back rest option. Also is there a way to put pegs on front so I can kick my kegs out ?
The dealer also had a bike there with the stage 1 pipes. They sounded great.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There is more room on the engine guards than you think. There are also a couple other options.Not sure how long your legs are but hou may be impreesed with the floor board length.
Utopia, Grasshopper, and Vic make a back rest. I would suggest Utopia, and Grasshopper gets good reviews, but haven't used one of theirs. Both are 1/2 to 1/3 the price look as good and may even work better.
Not sure what color you want, but if you can find a new 13 it may expand your options.

Happy Shopping

1 - 20 of 37 Posts