Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I am thinking about getting a Victory Cross County. This would be my first cruiser/bagger. I'm looking for some advice about the decision process and buying tips. I think I would like to have cruise control and ABS, but from what I saw those features are not available on the color (titanium suede) that I prefer. Is cruise control available as a retro-fit for those models that come without it? Is the ABS something that I should consider over color preference? Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My 2013 has Cruise and I really don't use it that often. ABS??? It has come in more than handy a few times.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cruise control is handy and so is the ABS

·
Registered
94 Posts
I encountered the same issues when I bought my 2014 XC. I also wanted the blacked out version because I had my fill of polishing chrome. I ended up getting the Havasu Red color XC, that came blacked out and had both ABS and cruise control. I personally feel the XC is the perfect bike for long trips. I wouldn't consider a bike made for that type of travel without either ABS or cruise.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
To answer your question, yes, cruise control can definitely be purchased for the bike. There is a cruise control module on the for sale page on facebook right now for $250.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I am thinking about getting a Victory Cross County. This would be my first cruiser/bagger. I'm looking for some advice about the decision process and buying tips. I think I would like to have cruise control and ABS, but from what I saw those features are not available on the color (titanium suede) that I prefer. Is cruise control available as a retro-fit for those models that come without it? Is the ABS something that I should consider over color preference? Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Hey Chris,

Every thing you described is exactly what I did.

First of all my XC was my first cruiser bagger as well. My previous 2 bikes were Yamaha FJR's, loved them but I got a new girlfriend that liked to ride along and the FJR rear seat was rather uncomfortable after an hour or so. We tried a friends XC, and she and I loved it more than I would have imagined. When I first saw the titanium suede I knew it was what I had to have and after having the bike for over a year I still think it looks great and I get compliments on it all the time. At the time the only way to get the the titanium suede was without cruise control and without ABS, i.e. model year 2014'.

I'm in the process of basically putting it to a XC tour configuration, I have the rear trunk and put on the passenger floor boards. The girl and I have easily gone on multi all day rides with ease and I don't miss the corner carving as I thought I would. (Must be getting old)

I'm also adding the cruise control but I'm going to wait until it's winter and I won't be riding as much. The process is rather involved and I don't have lots of spare time to attack it the way I want, basically the bike will be down for probably a couple weeks as I do it. I got the kit from Parts Pit stop, I think it was about $300+. From what I can see it's virtually all but impossible to put on an ABS system.

So.....

If had to do it again, I would go with a 2015' or newer and get the color and cruise and ABS. I've done so many mods to the bike and custom stuff just to start over. I still toy with the idea?

Good luck, you will love the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had same issues when I bought mine. I went with gloss titanium and made it into a tour. I love it! I'm glad I choose this route. My ABS has been used a couple of times.

Cruise can be added. Abs can not. Not at my dealer anyway.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I'd get a different color... ABS is a game changer on a big bike like this... Cruise is nice too but won't save your life.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow....ABS is simply amazing, so far I've only had to jump on the brakes once. At that split second I was expecting the tires to lock up and start skidding...well it didn't....again I'm impressed w/it!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
ABS:

I used to think that I didn't need ABS, that I knew what I was doing, "trained professional" (I was an MSF RiderCoach for a couple years), etc. Further, my house then was in a rural setting, and it took me a few miles to get to a major road; on the starting roads, with no traffic most of the time, I actually used to practice panic braking many days as I'd start off.

That was on two bikes, a Beemer (for three years) and a Valkyrie for seven years. Then I got a Burgman 650 (for five years), and used its ABS a few times in emergency situations. And decided that I wouldn't buy a bike in the future without ABS. And have had the XCT for three years now... and have used the ABS a few times, in the real world, on that, too.

Bottom line: my opinion changed 180 degrees over time.

Cruise:

On the Valkyrie, I got the parts for a car-oriented cruise. On the Burgman, I added an expensive motorcycle cruise from MC Cruise. I liked this a lot, but it was $600 back then, and required a lot of my labor to install.

I decided that I would never buy another bike without factory cruise installed.

That's me. I do a fair amount of superslab riding, to visit family, get to places where I really want to ride, etc. If that doesn't apply to you, then maybe cruise isn't a big deal -- depends on your needs, on this one.

On the slab, I like to set it at, say, 72 in a 65 zone, and forget about it unless traffic gets heavy. A throttle lock won't let you do that, i.e., the bike will speed up downhill, and slow down uphill.

If you do decide on just getting a Vic with cruise and ABS, you might take comfort in having a different color, one that's easier for touch up paint. It's my understanding that the suede colors can be a problem in this respect.

And if you have enough money, you can always get a bike custom-painted, and be unique.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Jump online to the vic website, type in your zip code and see if a demo ride is coming up in your area, run though the gambit of bikes and see which one fits you best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts