Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2006 Kingpin, 100 cubic inch motor today. I am seeking any info in regards to mechanical issues, costs of service, and anything that would be helpful in making my decision on this bike. I liked the power, style, handling was not as good as my old VTX but the front tire was very worn, and back needs replace also.
Asking price is 4000, 13682 miles on bike. Have to give my answer tomorrow so any useful info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Test drove a 2006 Kingpin, 100 cubic inch motor today. I am seeking any info in regards to mechanical issues, costs of service, and anything that would be helpful in making my decision on this bike. I liked the power, style, handling was not as good as my old VTX but the front tire was very worn, and back needs replace also.
Asking price is 4000, 13682 miles on bike. Have to give my answer tomorrow so any useful info would be appreciated.
Jump on it. That's at least 2000 below what they are selling for right now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good price and a great motor. Back bakes are easy to do and that was about how long they lasted on mine. Oil changes on that motor need to be done every 2500 miles. Pretty much a bulletproof drive train.
Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with previous posts. $4000 is a steal for that bike. I have seen bikes with rebuilt titles selling for more. I think once you replace the tires it will handle much better. Many posts about which tires on this forum. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
That is a great price.It will not be for sale long at that price.
The 100 inch motor has a 6 speed. I wish mine had the 6 speed. The '06 is an open loop fuel injection system. That makes it very friendly to upgrades. 13,000 miles is barely broken in. These motors are bullet proof.
As far as handling, new tires make a huge difference on mine. I run an Dunlop Elite III on the front, and I have a D407 on the back(it is a Harley tire).I used to run the Dunlop 417 on the back and the Elite II on the front(those were the stock tires). Stock tires didn't handle as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you don't buy that Kingpin, I WILL!:D I'm VERY SERIOUS!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Good price and a great motor. Back bakes are easy to do and that was about how long they lasted on mine. Oil changes on that motor need to be done every 2500 miles. Pretty much a bulletproof drive train.
Good luck.
Every 2500?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Every 2500?
That is Vic's recommendation. The oil gets dirty and the shifting gets harder. So the interval is sooner on the older bikes. Now with the newer bikes it is recommended at 5000 miles ,right?Apparently this was due to the oil getting dirty sooner on the older models. And if I remember correctly, that is due to the open loop bikes pcv system. It is routed differently.Also, on the '11's and up, with neutral finder, it's suppose to be a non-issue.

Personally, I go closer to 4-4500 miles on my oil. I quit using Vic oil and my shifting is easier than with Vic oil as it gets dirty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i love mine! new tires make all the difference. the back tire probably has corners from highway ridding.
i picked up the cheapest one i've seen in texas for $6500 and she wasen't in the best of shape. cheapest 100in. kp seen was $5900 and had dents and didn't look well cared for at all.

which vtx? i've ridden 1800's and they handled horribly at anything in town. surprisingly never ridden a 1300, i hear they are a load better than the 18 tho.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you use synthetic oil you can safely go 4000-5000 miles between changes. If it needs tires you should consider putting a set of Bridgestone radials on it, they stick like glue and are a lot cheaper than the OEMs.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
That is Vic's recommendation. The oil gets dirty and the shifting gets harder. So the interval is sooner on the older bikes. Now with the newer bikes it is recommended at 5000 miles ,right?Apparently this was due to the oil getting dirty sooner on the older models. And if I remember correctly, that is due to the open loop bikes pcv system. It is routed differently.Also, on the '11's and up, with neutral finder, it's suppose to be a non-issue.

Personally, I go closer to 4-4500 miles on my oil. I quit using Vic oil and my shifting is easier than with Vic oil as it gets dirty.
Sounds about right plus with the neutral finder; most people will pop the bike in neutral since it's so easy thereby putting less stress on the oil as it goes through the clutch plates.

One way to "fix" the return line is to simply put a filter on it before it gets to the throttle body and plug the hole. It'll vent and the oil will drain back into the case. Some folks believe this will cause other problems because this vacuum vented oil mist helps to evacuate air from the cylinders and case. I guess one could try it both ways to see if it make any difference.

Then just change the oil every 4-5k just like the newer bikes.

For the original poster of this thread... did you buy this bike?

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
If you use synthetic oil you can safely go 4000-5000 miles between changes. If it needs tires you should consider putting a set of Bridgestone radials on it, they stick like glue and are a lot cheaper than the OEMs.
Do you have a link to the Bridgestone tires you like for this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy it!

I have an 07 and paid more than that......and I stole it. There's nothing I dislike about my KP. I change my oil @ every 1000 but that's just me, no mechanical reason. I've had no problems finding parts. I've never known anyone yet regretting buying a Vic, new or used.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an 06 KP with about 7000 miles and many upgrades for sale at 8000.
Any takers get in touch

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I have an 06 KP with about 7000 miles and many upgrades for sale at 8000.
Any takers get in touch
She's a beaut'. You all must be getting better prices than us in the Southwest. Out here $6k would be considered a fair price.

Only 7k miles on it? You need to ride that puppy more; even as it's for sale. Whatcha gonna get next or does family obligations or something cause a time out from riding for now?

I'll soon be putting my 04 KP (not the Tribal flame one) up for sale for $5600. It will have all maintenance up to date including brakes bled, oil change, forks rebuilt w/fresh Amsoil, and 24k miles on the clock. I'd ride it cross country in a second. Just has a couple of blemishes on the fenders which is fairly easy to fix but I don't want to mess with it so the buyer gets a good deal.

Pardon me for this shameless plug...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts