Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of no wealth and nor taste, I've been around for 46 years, bought many bikes and put them to waste.... HA HA HA...

So this week-end I walked into my local motorcycle dealership and was floored by this beautiful 2013 HB with 15,000 KM (KM not Miles here in Canada), bike has after market pipes sounds nice and deep and quick release leather saddle bags. Dealer wants around $12 K for it but I offer my 2013 Honda Fury with 9,000 KM on it. Dealer put deal down that I can walk with the Vic after trading in my Fury plus $3500.

For those who are not familiar with Honda Fury its a 1300cc bike I got aftermarket Hard Krome pipes on it. It has the super realiable Honda VT engine and of coarse the Honda bullet proof reputation. I just did a 2000 KM trip on it last week like always no issues.

Now the Vic HB looks super sweet but I'm not really familiar with Vic bikes. So want ask a few questions here, and yes I know for honest opinions I should not be on this forum but hey here I am.

1) With Victory discontinues I do know Polarise has agreed to keep making parts for another 10 years from 2017 so till 2027, am I correct?

2) With this in mind is Vic bike a good thing to take on tour knowing that may dealers in the U.S and Canada my not have parts in stock all the time like Clutch cables and other things that can go wrong on a long tour through the US. One day I want to ride from Toronto to Florida to west coast all the up to Vancouver and back to Toronto. Would not have parts at dealers or even having less dealers than Honda dealers around pose an issue one day for this kind of trip?

3) One Polaris sales man said that many of the Victory bikes share parts with the Indian bikes so there should not be problems is that true does the HB share parts with any of the Indian bikes?

4) I have not test rode the HB the dealer made me put down $500 as a down payment subject full refund if I'm not happy with a test ride coming this Friday, the HB has 24 more HP and 28 lbs/ft torqe than the Fury but weights 67 lbs more.

5) I did a test drive of the Indian Dark Horse a few months back which had the 111 engine the HB has 106 and I was not impressed at all the thing rode like a bad horse, it had all stock parts of coarse

6) The HB at the dealer has aftermarket pipes how can I tell if the previous owner did any other stage mods like power commander, dont think the dealer know of anything else.

7) I work on my own bikes from oil changes, Tire changes, break pads, Leaking fork fixes, Honda is easy to work on and parts always available, how easy is it work on Victory's?

I have 2 bikes, right now a 2004 Honda VTX 1300C which I love for it's reliability and the Fury which has the exact same engine but is Fuel injected vs Carbureted. I love Honda's as you ride them hard with little maintenance and pampering need vs bikes like HD and that was a major reason to sticking to Honda again for my second bike. I've heard good things about the Victory, I really love their styling and would not mind having 2 different company bikes in my stable rather just Hondas.

So I'm posing these questions here hoping to get some honest feed back.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
There is a learning curve to Victory ownership. Yes, they are very dependable, that's why many of us hang on to then after Polaris pulled the rug out from under them. There are things to know about their maintenance that makes then unique. Are you willing to take the time to learn?
I have had mine for 8-1/2 years with nary a problem. Well, a couple of small cheap and easy to fix ones. They are very easy to work on and at 82, I do ALL my own. Victorys handle exceedingly well and are strong performers. For very little $ compared to H-D, one can make them even stronger.
Like one buys a Smart Car because they are cute, they pay far for more than other more practical cars for that cuteness. As for Victory, you don't pay more, but you get a unique bike and exclusivetivity. You also have this and other forums and lots of Youtube videos to help with concerns.
If it's rock solid dependability, 100% parts backup, huge dealer network you want, then stick with Honda. If riding into a bunch of bikes and you have the only Victory appeals to you, then go for the HB.
I hope I helped. Oh...and those are my HONEST OPINIONS in spite of your doubts.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Ageed with all ... Smile ...
Sheep = HD
Different = Victory
Smile ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Having time overnight to think on this, our Canuck friend wants to eventually take a 8,000+ mile loop of North America. He's never owned a Victory. If I were he, I'd spring for the Goldwing I can afford for that trip. There are a lot of positives for the 'Wing and too many negatives, where our friend is concerned, for the HB. And the 'Wing is perfectly suited for LD travel.
Buying a Victory, at this point, requires commitment, like adopting a dog. As much as I am enthralled with my XR and enjoy every aspect of Victory ownership, I think Mr. EnVougue would be better off with a Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a learning curve to Victory ownership. Yes, they are very dependable, that's why many of us hang on to then after Polaris pulled the rug out from under them. There are things to know about their maintenance that makes then unique. Are you willing to take the time to learn?
I have had mine for 8-1/2 years with nary a problem. Well, a couple of small cheap and easy to fix ones. They are very easy to work on and at 82, I do ALL my own. Victorys handle exceedingly well and are strong performers. For very little $ compared to H-D, one can make them even stronger.
Like one buys a Smart Car because they are cute, they pay far for more than other more practical cars for that cuteness. As for Victory, you don't pay more, but you get a unique bike and exclusivetivity. You also have this and other forums and lots of Youtube videos to help with concerns.
If it's rock solid dependability, 100% parts backup, huge dealer network you want, then stick with Honda. If riding into a bunch of bikes and you have the only Victory appeals to you, then go for the HB.
I hope I helped. Oh...and those are my HONEST OPINIONS in spite of your doubts.

Thanks for the insight, I do like doing my maintenance and working on my Honda, but as much as I like wrenching I don't want to wrench every week-end. I don't want a bike that needs to be pampered and taken to dealers every X amount of miles for tune ups and Spa treatment. From hearing you guys out and the VOG guys Victory seems like close to Honda. I'm getting warmer to owning this machine, I think if the test ride on Friday pulls my arms out of my sockets and throughs my head back violently on the Freeway more than my Fury, I think I may just bite this Victory.

Funny thing is my real name is Vijay (Indian Name) it means Victory in our language.... LOL.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Victory use to have a motto; Ride one and you will buy one. It's true! I test ride on twisty back roads is what sold me.
No spa treatments required, just normal bike stuff maintenance akin to a Honda.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Also a VTX owner here.
Bought my used 2012 cross country tour in May.
It is different for sure. Coming from a well running carb bike I feel the Vic lacks power, but it's also 300 lb heavier so that's part of it.
Tuning helps tremendously with that area though.

Not sure what you mean about parts. Dealers don't stock parts Honda or otherwise unless it something that fails often. So don't expect to just get parts on the road if you are truly broke down.

HB is high ball?
Hardly a touring bike if long runs are indeed in your future you would have to adapt that a lot to come up with something okay but not perfect. Did that with my VTX. No matter how much I add to that bike it will never be a touring bike.
Something like a goldwing or one of the other metric tourers are good too.

Shortly after buying my bike I took a 700 mile roundtrip out of state. First day 5 hours on the bike since I got lost I could have easily done more. Never would be able to run that long on my VTX.

Should you buy the HB? Looks like you are replacing a town cruiser with another town cruiser so it's up to you.
I personally have no regrets buying a Victory. I plan to get all the enjoyment from it for the next 8 years while parts are available and I'll be ready to move on after that.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
12,983 Posts
EnVogueimages EnVogue

Make sure you get owners book cause you don't check the oil level like others bikes.
Your at that age where maybe a bagger would be better just for the touring that you can do. Its extremely fun to pack up and take a 1000 mile ride to see whats on the other side of the mountain.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Just buy it and ride it, easy to maintain by a man of your skills.
cant say Ive bought many OEM parts for any Honda, Yammy, Suzi, or Kwaka Ive ever owned, the aftermarket looks after expendables on any bike.
I say buy it and ride it.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Don't think inside your cubicle
Think outside your box
Buy the vic
Ride the vic
You will like it ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a 2010 XC and I live in Ontario Canada....I regularly jump on my bike and ride to Northern KY a 9 hour ride without tools on the bike....Bike is solid, oil, gas, tires and ride....and giggle like a school girl riding down the road....8)

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a 2010 XC and I live in Ontario Canada....I regularly jump on my bike and ride to Northern KY a 9 hour ride without tools on the bike....Bike is solid, oil, gas, tires and ride....and giggle like a school girl riding down the road....8)

Ride Safe,

Rob
Is there video of this school girl giggling? :)

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts