Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this quiet Bassani baffle I have and the way it looks I should be able to gut the stockers and use this as a baffle. My Vegas has the performance Bassani baffle in at that I wrapped in stainless steel screen followed by stainless steel wool wrapped with fiberglass and doing this they pretty much never burn out. My Bassani on the Vegas has soot on it but it's 100% in tact and not a bit brittle. So why not do that with the Cross Country.

Educate me as to why this might not work...

Here's the baffle.

The flange is 3 7/8"

Front is 2 3/8"

Steps down to an ID of 2.175

Overall of 21"

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
it would. its similar to how i do mine, i drill my baffles though, and weld them in so no leaks

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was advised that my baffle would be loud and raspy using the Bassani so it looks like the glasspack mod is in my future. I have a set of stockers on the way to cut up.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i agree, the size of the baffle makes the difference, smaller diameter will make it raspier, larger, deeper. thrush glasspacks neck down, say you get a 2.25" inlet/outlet, the through tube will most likely be 2", and its a perforated baffle, no louvers, i like this about the thrush, what i didnt like was the necking down

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did the Thrush on my bike. Nice sound when you rip on it, fairly quiet cruising around. Just right for the radio. I have 2.25" outlet. Just so you know, the cans weigh a ton with the Thrush stuffed in them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It has begun. 1st TQ tubes now mufflers next is the Velociraptor 2000 Vindex special. 200hp beast.. Do it.....

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has begun. 1st TQ tubes now mufflers next is the Velociraptor 2000 Vindex special. 200hp beast.. Do it.....
Hahahaha yea I can't leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the people doing the Thrush mod did you have to also remove the mesh liner inside the mufflers? Looking at the video that's a HUGE PITA and the guy ended up splitting the muffler.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
So the people doing the Thrush mod did you have to also remove the mesh liner inside the mufflers? Looking at the video that's a HUGE PITA and the guy ended up splitting the muffler.
The first set I did I took out the metal mesh and the fiberglass wrap or whatever the cloth is, the outer casing was completely empty.The last couple sets I Left the cloth in. I take the metal mesh out. I cut the ends off that mesh part and use them on the ends of the thrush so I can weld the thrush to the end and then the end to the outer shell. That way I have no leaks around the thrush.

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
I had a welder friend do this on mine. Yes; the stockers do need to be split to get that mesh liner out. I remember seeing a video where someone didn't and had a very hard time getting the muffler in the can. I think he ended up using a big press.

My welder also made metal rings that looked like huge washers to weld on the ends of the muffler so there would be no rattling or leakage down the line. I like the sound. I used the ones Broggy recommended with the 2.5" ID. Throaty but not loud at lower rpms. They do bark nicely when I want them to though.

Flowtech 50252, FlowTech Red Hots Glass Pack Mufflers | Flowtech

·
Registered
302 Posts
I used FlowTech mufflers with a 2 1/2" inlet/outlet, and my pipes are nice and deep at idle, and growl when I get it on. BTW, cut the stockers an inch from the factory welds and the mesh will come out easier!

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
22 Posts
I made similar baffles for mine as well. I started with the design you are looking at. I made up 6 different designs and settled on a particular design. Go to any site that sells cobra USA baffles for their pipes. Look at the quiet core baffles and you will see the design I ended up with. It is deeper sounding than the louver cores that you considered. They have worked well for the past year. I'm pleased with the sound.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Before I went the Bassini Header I did this. 2" od with a short flutted baffle inside. HD riders would tell me the nice sounding pipe. No packing was needed. I took out almost 50% of the packing out of my header after putting it on.

Putting the Bassini Road Rage header on got rid of this.

It also got rid of 10 plus pounds of #2 muffler.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Tom, before you do the thrush mod, call me...shoot me a PM for my #. I've already done it and figured out a few things so the engineering is already done .
Also, you can hear how they sound(freaking awesome!) before you do it. We still need to meet up for coffee and a photo op. Be really cool to get 2 Titanium suede XC's together for a photo.

I also have a welder :wink

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tom, before you do the thrush mod, call me...shoot me a PM for my #. I've already done it and figured out a few things so the engineering is already done .
Also, you can hear how they sound(freaking awesome!) before you do it. We still need to meet up for coffee and a photo op. Be really cool to get 2 Titanium suede XC's together for a photo.

I also have a welder :wink
Replied back to your pm. Meet us this morning for a breakfast ride details in the PM.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Can't leave well enough alone.

This sounds familiar..I think there is a major player in the Vic community that lives by this motto

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts

This sounds familiar..I think there is a major player in the Vic community that lives by this motto
Yep. I have one of Rylan's shirts that say exactly that on the back in bold red lettering. Saw a guy in Sturgis wearing one too at the Victory area.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I did the Thrush on my bike. Nice sound when you rip on it, fairly quiet cruising around. Just right for the radio. I have 2.25" outlet. Just so you know, the cans weigh a ton with the Thrush stuffed in them.
This is exactly what I did after driving around with no baffles for a year. The bike runs so much better and i have virtually no backfires. Very nice deep, rich sound.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
This is exactly what I did after driving around with no baffles for a year. The bike runs so much better and i have virtually no backfires. Very nice deep, rich sound.
Now that I have 'rolled my own', I really like the way they feel and sound.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is what I've got!!!

OEM Cross Country dealer take off mufflers that way I could ride while I did this project.

Bassani Road Rage quiet baffles.

3 5/8" hole saw to take out the end of the muffler. I bought a Harbor Freight high torque drill to do the job because I knew it would cook it and by the second muffler is was about dead.
I used all thread and two sockets that just fit in the end of the muffler as a guide for the saw.

Securely strapped the muffler down

Cut the end off.

Hole sawed the end of the muffler, it was fairly quick but takes some strength to do that's a big hole saw.

Factory baffle just slides out.

I cut the top support off the factory baffles and opened the inside to fit over the Bassani baffle then welded them in place.

I had wanted to wrap them in stainless steel wool and cover them with fiberglass mat but there wasn't room so I went with a LOT of the wool and no fiberglass. It may not look like it but that's about 10 feet of wool 4" wide 1/4" thick. Good part is you wrap it really tight and use masking tape to compress it way down and when you run the bike the tape burns off and the wool expands and fills the muffler body.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts