Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It keeps crossing my mind, I don't ride much anymore. Not interested in riding much, but when I do ride I don't know if I really want to sell. I want get much for it and any type of motorcycle is hard to sell these days. I have a friend that has been trying to sell his 2005 Dyna for at least 5 years. It only has like 3500 miles on it. Another friend tried to sell his XCT for over a year and gave up. I just don't know...……….

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It keeps crossing my mind, I don't ride much anymore. Not interested in riding much, but when I do ride I don't know if I really want to sell. I want get much for it and any type of motorcycle is hard to sell these days. I have a friend that has been trying to sell his 2005 Dyna for at least 5 years. It only has like 3500 miles on it. Another friend tried to sell his XCT for over a year and gave up. I just don't know...……….
If you would ride 1000 miles a year it would be worth keeping, as selling a vic would be better parting it out, .... Just saying...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah parting it out would bring in a lot more money. I did a little over a thousand miles last year. That is 3 thousand less than the year before.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I go through this now and again and I'm always glad I waited to make a decision which so far has been to hang on to both Vic's. I will say I don't get the same rush from riding as I used to which is a bummer but I still get that feeling of freedom from being open to the elements and just being in the wind even though both bikes have windshields.

I would recommend you sleep on it. Not just for a night or two; but for a month or 2/3. It will be Spring by then and the best time to sell if you do decide to go that way. We all get to that point sooner or later when our riding days are done. Some by choice while alive and others when they pass on to that great riding road in the afterlife.

I've had so many friends who reached the point you're at now but kept their bikes in the garage. Maybe as a reminder of good times or just because they couldn't bring themselves to losing that one last part of their life. Probably different for everyone as far as reasons go.

I figure I'm in my 60's, you're in your 70's, and Ric is in his 80's so I may not ride as much but I still have a potential of 20 years ahead that I can ride a few thousand miles a year. The bikes are paid for and the insurance goes down every year. Registration is cheap in AZ so why not keep them.

Besides; we all took a hard hit in Victory motorcycle values after Polaris shuttered the doors. I refuse to just give away something I have over $28k wrapped up in (both bikes combined). Riding less that 5k miles a year (again; both bikes combined) will allow these bikes to last the rest of my life even if it was only one.

Took a 130 mile ride the other day. I'm out of condition. Left me 'stiff' for a day or two; and not the good kind. Guess I need to ride more. :p

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
If you would ride 1000 miles a year it would be worth keeping, as selling a vic would be better parting it out, .... Just saying...
If money is the prime object; I agree. Otherwise it's a pain in the butt to part out a bike due to all the packaging and possible returns to deal with. It is an option many take advantage of though. It can take years to sell all the parts so if time isn't an issue it might be the better option. I personally just can't see parting out a perfectly good running motorcycle or car. If the engine or trans was blown or wrecked beyond it worth fixing then yes; definitely part it out or sell as is to someone who can use what's left. If insurance paid then let them have it.

JMHO, YMMV, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Keep it. I know many who ride little. I had a few years I was only riding maybe 500 miles. Other life stuff going on. I don't care if I only ride 1000 miles I'm happy. Bikes are toys and I don't need to sell. Ride what you can and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I average about 1,500 miles a year the last few years and have found myself wondering if I should sell mine as well but then I snap out of it. It is not that I don't enjoy riding my XR it is just finding the time. I take my company vehicle home so I can't ride my bike to work. I do my own maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles, home, property, etc so that keeps me busy on the weekends quite often. The one good thing is that I don't park my bike when the leaves fall. I ride year around, even if it is just a 50 mile loop to the top of the mountain and back down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Saying that someone is trying to sell anything for 5 years and can't simply means that the person believes it has more value than the market believes. So what that person really can't or won't do is understand the value that the market sees is less than that person sees.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey NAB, you can get depressed whether you still have a bike or not; but having one gives you another option in dealing with it. If you don't really need the money that selling it would bring in, keep it and use liberally at those times the black dog is chewing on your life and soul.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey NAB, you can get depressed whether you still have a bike or not; but having one gives you another option in dealing with it. If you don't really need the money that selling it would bring in, keep it and use liberally at those times the black dog is chewing on your life and soul.
I'm not hurting for money and I don't get depressed. But the longer I don't sell the shorter the time Polaris will keep parts going which will make it even harder to sell. I would trade it for something I wanted maybe, but for now I'll keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep hoping Polaris will give the parts info to someone who can continue to make parts for Victory's as needed even if they are made per order and more expensive.
I am hoping they will turn over the rights to the companies they contracted to make the parts for them. S&S would be a good company also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is an old saying......you dont stop riding when you get old you get old when you stop riding......I am just slightly older than dirt have 3 RUNNING bikes including an 06 hammer all tricked out 120hp....a 2014 indian stage 3 with 116 bore kit and an 04 kingpin with a zillion miles.....ride to work every day.....see you in sturgis in august 1400 miles and i have never trailered a bike that runs

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is an old saying......you dont stop riding when you get old you get old when you stop riding......I am just slightly older than dirt have 3 RUNNING bikes including an 06 hammer all tricked out 120hp....a 2014 indian stage 3 with 116 bore kit and an 04 kingpin with a zillion miles.....ride to work every day.....see you in sturgis in august 1400 miles and i have never trailered a bike that runs
I've trailered a running bike two times. My wife just got her learners permit and I trailered our bikes to Home Coming about 80 miles away. Where we live is pretty flat with straight roads. Were the town I went to high school in as hill, valleys and curvy roads. I wanted my wife to ride those roads. It is a sparsely populated county with 3 towns and the largest town with about 1,200 people. 4 times larger than the other 2 towns. A much better place to ride than next to a town that has 250,000 people. I also taught my daughter to drive there in a 3 on the column Ford F150. The second time was in a cargo trailer conversion to go fishing last summer and I'll do that again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts