Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok almost rear ended by another person texting again....Im really thinking of trading my vic for a jeep wrangler.....anyone else having too many close calls...uggghh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not yet

Not yet but always concerned. When I am stopping for a red light or stop sign I always rev up the motor to let everyone know I am approaching. If I am sitting alone and see an approaching car, I do the same thing. I have fairly loud pipes that does get your attention. It seems to work but I know it is not failsafe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Too damn many idiots out there texting,talking,emailing...etc. A friend was saying now that football season is here it will get worse. He said with so many guys betting on the games, they're watching the games on their ? I-pad, smartphone & such....even while they're driving.

Not ready to quit yet, but find I am even more cautious than ever !!

·
Registered
632 Posts
It depends what you call close.... You'll have just as many close calls in a car/truck as you do on a bike... Just with a bike it becomes , Up close and Personal... If your going to ride scared a jeep might be better for you,
If You ride a bike close calls will happen, Sorry to say..

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Its only gonna get worse without strict enforcement and severe penalties.
On same level as drink driving, come to think of it a drunk is at least attempting to control his/her vehicle.
Think Id rather have someone behind me whos a bit tipsy that absorbed in thier phone or iPad!
Watch your arse out there!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Traffic is not as safe as it used to be. I've been on bikes since 1960 and I've noticed way too many distracted drivers in the last few years. I still keep riding because I enjoy it and have the attitude that if it's my turn to get "hurt", so it be. I'm not going to sit on a rocking chair for the rest of my life. A young person with responsibilities like taking care of a family should be more concerned that a senior citizen. Why ride a bike if you don't enjoy it anymore? Good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
ok almost rear ended by another person texting again....Im really thinking of trading my vic for a jeep wrangler.....anyone else having too many close calls...uggghh
You don't say what kind of bike you have.

You can increase your chances of being seen by getting the blinking brake lights and extra brake lights and turn signal. If stopped at a light you can hit the brakes to kind of wake up a distracted driver.

Unintended consequences of miniature computers in every pocket these days.

I'll be at a restaurant or bar and see two people together fiddling with their smart phones. Why did they even bother going out? Sometimes they are sending each other email. Freakin' crazy.

:crzy:

·
Registered
149 Posts
What Bbob said! I will NOT ride one of my bikes without bright, flashing LED's back there! There are many different choices on the market. Cannot think of anything that gets a drivers attention as well. And I WANT them to pay attention! Ride safe. Jim

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
My biggest concern/complaint is people crossing the centerline. I have curvy roads in my area, and it seems people are too lazy, or are texting and not in full control of their vehicle, and drift (or drive) across the line. I notice it in my car, but it REALLY gets my attention, and anger, when on the bike. They seem to be making a straight line out of an s curve. Makes me furious! I won't however let them win! Freedom on two wheels can not be duplicated. Defensive driving and being more visible is the only defense we have.

BTW, the Jeep will get old.....

Reactions: kodiakwood2

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had more close calls in my jeep wrangler than I have on my Kingpin. And the wrangler is bright red, you would think people would see it! Besides, the bike will get out of the way much faster than the jeep. BUT, if I had to have an accident, I would rather it be in the jeep.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To be honest, I don't care what everyone else is doing.....I treat all cagers around me as if they're trying to kill me. I've taken every defensive driving course available to me and have repeated some courses over and over.

If you find yourself having many close calls then maybe it's time to "read" the situation around you. My eyes never stop scanning what is around me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've got a super charged TJ wrangler - love it! But, My Vic is still by far my favorite ride. You can't compare 2 vs 4 wheels. I've tried, and nope.

I have had my fare share of close calls including a wreck by someone pulling right in front of me (7 broken ribs, punctured lung and spleen), hence the Jeep. I've got 2 wheels in my blood, nothing else can replace. I am much more careful and assume everyone is gonna pull out in front of me etc. You can't assume anyone is gonna play by the rules when you are on 2 wheels vs 4 or you run a chance of a major fail. Nothing like a bike on twisties with a good group of friends /riders!
The thought of a rode trip in 4 wheels is meh, on 2 wheels....Whee!

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
I'm mid 50's and have waited all my life to get to ride. I'll be damned if I'm going to be afraid every time I fire up a machine that has given me so much joy.

Do what you will... I'm wearing out my tires and drinking in life.
Too right Dill,
I'll keep riding till I drop,
you can have all the liquor to yourself though Dill.
Ive already drank my share many times over.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I'm mid 50's and have waited all my life to get to ride. I'll be damned if I'm going to be afraid every time I fire up a machine that has given me so much joy.

Do what you will... I'm wearing out my tires and drinking in life.

Roger that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was taken out hard in 2012. Lost my ride but I am still walking, fully recovered from my injuries. But I am now riding only demo rides when the Vic truck is in Florida near me. Maybe one day I will be back on my very own ride. But I will do what I have to for calming the ride itch. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts