Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, so being that my 2 boys are old enough to be left home alone, that and the fact they enjoy riding almost as much as my wife does, I've been keeping my eyes open for a Cross Country or Cross Roads. But a guy local to me listed up a 2009 Vision Tour on craigslist. I wasn't considering making the jump to a full size tourer yet but the price seems reasonable and he is willing to take my Hammer in on trade for it (buys and sells bikes as a side hobby). There are a few dings here and there (nothing that you wouldn't expect for a 2009 with 24k miles on it), but the biggest thing that stands out to me is that the radio doesn't work and the exhaust is fugly and doesn't quite sound as good as my hammer.
Anyways, I'm kind of considering it because I know I could take the tour pack off and make it look more like a Vision street, but I'm concerned about the radio not working, wondering if there are other hidden electrical gremlins, replacing the fugly exhaust, and in general I wanted to get some more info about the Visions other than what I can read from this magazine article or bike review on the web. Anything I should be looking for other than the obvious?

Pic of said Vision is below...
I've seen the bike in person but I haven't been able to take it for a test ride because of the crappy rain for the last couple of days. hoping to take it out and see if its something to consider or to just keep looking for a Cross-bike..

Thanks in advance for any advice or input on it. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Radio

The radio might simply be unplugged. Did that one time when I took the center console off. Otherwise a fuse would be the next place to look. 24K miles is nothing. I have almost 80K on my 2011 and have had only a few minor issues with the bike.otherwise tires and oil and go ride. The exhaust can be changed. You just have to research a little. I have ridden both the Vision and cross bikes. I will always choose a Vision.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I love my '09 Vision 53k miles and every thing works perfect. AM radio has some ignition noise and FM doesn't pick up too many stations though. I've used xm and aux. channels and they work great. Vision is a bit heavier than a Hammer. I came from a 550lb. Honda VT1100 to this nearly 900lb. bike so there are some adjustments to be made. I don't 'tour' but do commute on it every day and then the wife comes along on occasional weekend rides.
I've seen used Vision radios on ebay or check salvage yards. A Vision radio is unique in it's fitment.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just made a quick check on ebay. :eek: Several on there now but holy smokes batman. $1000. That's nuts.
I can get fm radio on my sena smh20s headset and take phone calls, talk to my passenger, etc.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Dont think just do...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol! thanks for the replies. taking it for a test ride tonite after work... after doing some searches last nite, i really like the looks of the Vision 8-Ball and the Street version. So I'm thinking that even with the little issues, I'm going to make the jump.. I love the hammer and if i had the space and money I would keep both, but I think the Vision is just going to work well for the commuting back and forth to work and the riding I am doing more of these days.
The funny thing about the radio is that it recognizes the ipod, and fm radio stations and such, but there is no sound coming out of the speakers. So the more i think about it the more I am thinking it has to be something simple..
I showed the pics of the bike to my wife and she said she didn't think it was as nice looking as the cross-bikes but I'm thinking when her ass is firmly planted in the passenger seat and relaxing instead of hanging on for dear life and feeling every single bump and pavement imperfection transferred from the seat to her spine she won't mind the looks too much. :ltr:

so here's to a successful test ride tonite and potentially joining the Vision masses cheers

thanks all!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure about the 09's but on my 14 there is a setting to turn off the external speakers. Toggle the "Mode" button to get there. See if that could be the issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tip!!!! cheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

·
Registered
539 Posts
I thought it would cool to have a radio on my bike but I never use it. On really long rides I will listen to music through my Sena but that comes from my Iphone. I probably haven't turned my radio on in year.

Really not that relevant, but for me it wouldn't be a big deal as long as everything else worked.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really not that relevant, but for me it wouldn't be a big deal as long as everything else worked.
I totally agree with you here. the only thing that i was concerned about was if anything else ran through the radio or the radio unit. i wear a full face so the chances of me using the radio are prolly not that great. but being a real noob when it comes to the Visions, i wasn't sure if maybe it was something similar to one of my previous bikes, the Ducati Monster S2R. Pretty much everything went through the speedo unit so that when my tach stopped working, the only option to get it back was to replace the entire speedo assembly which ended up being right around $1000 because it was also linked to the immobilizer unit the ignition system, everything. to be honest i really didn't use the tach much, but eventually the speedo stopped working along with the rest of the display on the unit so i didn't have too much of a choice at that point. Wasn't sure if maybe the Vision was the same way or if it was just the radio/ipod/etc... that went through that unit or if there was more to it...

As long as the test drive goes well tonite, i'm about 97% positive that i am going to make the leap... thumb up

·
13,003 Posts
as for the exhaust there is a guy here that will change your stock exhaust into something nice for around $200 his name is miller.

If you can here sound threw ipod setting then the speakers might be on mute. The radio is pretty good the antenna sucks. Here is a link to the owners book and you can read up on the radio settings. Also here is the place that can fix the radio.
On ebay you can find the panel for when you take the trunk off.

http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/polaris/common/parts-manuals/9921967r03.pdf

http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.php

·
Registered
209 Posts
regarding the f/r speaker issue with the radio...because the trunk can be removed and therefore, the rear speakers unplugged, The front to rear balance can be adjusted accordingly and, though I haven't done it in a while, the speed adjusted volume can be tweeked or turned on/off if desired. The volume increases with speed if you want it that way.
Anywho, several things to check for (if you care) to get speakers working again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome links VJ and great idea Eotsis1.
going to be test riding tonite as the seller got called into work at an accident (EMT). I think my wife will be happy when I finally shut up and stop searching info on the web and actually talk with her after the kids go to bed. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think my wife will be happy when I finally shut up and stop searching info on the web and actually talk with her after the kids go to bed. :ltr:
:ltr: LOL , I get the same thing !!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
lol! thanks for the replies. taking it for a test ride tonite after work...
I showed the pics of the bike to my wife and she said she didn't think it was as nice looking as the cross-bikes but I'm thinking when her ass is firmly planted in the passenger seat and relaxing instead of hanging on for dear life and feeling every single bump and pavement imperfection transferred from the seat to her spine she won't mind the looks too much. :ltr:

so here's to a successful test ride tonite and potentially joining the Vision masses cheers

thanks all!
Mne sat on both at the shop....the cross country didn't even finish second and she only sat on it and the Vision....just sayin' cheers

Keep the shiny side up

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
The vision has been growing in me. Would never sell my XCT but would add a Vision to the stable and black it all out.

·
13,003 Posts
MonsterMash
don't be afraid to expand your search for one. There out there and a ride home of a 1000 miles would be nothing for you and the bike
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You are looking at a very lightly used Vision. My 2013 Vision has 21000 miles on her and I have been very slack riding this year because of all the rain we've had here. The exhaust you don't like in that picture is definitely not stock. For performance, the stock Vision exhaust is pretty darn good unless you add cams to your engine.
As a Victory owner I'm sure you already know that the 2011 is the sweet spot. It will have the new tranny for 5000 miles oil changes but before Polaris started their cost savings stripping of the bikes in later years.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, the test ride didn't quite go so well.. :(

about 2 minutes into the ride the whole dash display went completely blank, the guages stopped working, and the bike started spitting and sputtering. pulled over to the side of the road and thats where she died. had a full tank of gas, and after about an hour of double checking all the fuses, she was pushed back to the garage. as far as i know, it still is not running. haven't the slightest clue as to why because the engine is turning over but it won't start and the dash is still
oh well, the search continues...

·
Registered
257 Posts
well, the test ride didn't quite go so well.. :(

about 2 minutes into the ride the whole dash display went completely blank, the guages stopped working, and the bike started spitting and sputtering. pulled over to the side of the road and thats where she died. had a full tank of gas, and after about an hour of double checking all the fuses, she was pushed back to the garage. as far as i know, it still is not running. haven't the slightest clue as to why because the engine is turning over but it won't start and the dash is still
oh well, the search continues...
Better to walk away on this one unless the seller is willing to come down a bunch on price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts