Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a few harley's in the past but thinking about purchasing a Victory as it is American made as well. And the prices I have seen, you get a lot for the buck compared to Harley.

Looked at a Vegas 8 ball and the price seem really low for a 106CC.

I know this is a Victory forum but is there any negitives that I should be aware of????

THanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey Barry, this is Barry. Best place to hear people bitch about things they hate is the internet. Take a look through this forum. Not a lot of bitching about the Victory line up. Ride one.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Yes, there is a negative. If you like fixing things that break on a bike, you'll be bored to tears and your tools will collect dust. The good news is, you'll get to do a lot more riding than H-D owners.
How's this; one oil drain plug, half hour belt change, cam chain tensioners that don't break, I could go on, but I'll let others fill you in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've owned two Harley's. A 90 heritage, and 04 Fatboy. I owned a high-ball and painfully subjected folks here about swapping to a bagger but swapped finally to a Vic Hard-Ball which fits me better. I loved my High-Ball and I knew the Vic bagger was my single choice. You could never talk me back into a Harley. Outhandles, outrides, and outbalues Harley plain and simple. If that tells you anything. 8 vs 64 gaskets and seals. One little itty bitty tidbit. It's still got a single pin crank so it's got "that" sound. Runs circles around any Harley bone stock.

Simply a better product. Period.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
negatives......errrrr........your Harley t-shirts will be obsolete
oh and ya cant blip the throttle going back into first gear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Victory

I am for a Victory. I have had all kinds of moto-scooters. Sport bikes, Dirt bikes, Baggers.. Etc. I currently own a 2012 Black XC. I am 6'3" 300lbs. The Victory is longer allowing me to feel at home, not scrunched like some of the other baggers I've been on. Plenty of power with the ol' ball and chain and myself cruising around. :cool:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you can be comfortable with the looks, the sound and the less similarly dressed and propagandized ownership base Vic may be a fit for you.

If you can put up with doing routine maintenance chores yourself or if you are capable of dealing with less than stellar dealership service departments Vic may be a fit for you.

If you can be satisfied with a smaller assortment of bolt on mods or if you are well equipped to do one off mods yourself Vic may be a fit for you.

If you are prepared to move your SAE tools to the back of the drawer to make room for your metric tools in the front Vic may be a fit for you.

If you are in the market for a V twin engine platform that has a substantial history with zero anticipated failures to date Vic may be a fit for you.

Think hard on it though. It's hard to let go of ingrained behaviors and the Motor Company has done a bang up job of ingraining themselves.

I been through a bunch of Milwaukee iron, still got a couple gathering dust. It's taken some adjustment on my part but the math is what it is. This is not a perfect motorcycle. What it is is a superior riders machine apples to apples.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one oil drain plug
Explain one drain plug?

I am looking at the Vegas 8 ball and the High Ball. I like performance, something that will take off without down shifting. I will want to replace the pipes because I don't like the silent stock pipes. Will have to check with V&H and see if they make one for a Victory. Or maybe someone can suggest something that will work?

My last HD was 2010 Softail CVO, 110 and it did have the power! I have a friend that has sold Victory and now selling HD and he said to ride one and then choose. He said that Victory makes a sound scoot but a Victory, you ride on it and the HD, you ride in it. Victory has less re-sell value. Am not a big guy, that is why I am looking at those 2 models. Am 5'5 and weigh 155 but have short legs and like having my feet on the ground when I stop.

How about Victory Service?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Engine,tranny,and primary share one common sump therefore one oil not three as harley has. Service depends on your dealer some are good some are bad mine so far has been excellent so I have no complaints with service.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On the harley big twins, a fluid change is as you know 3 holes (tranny, oil tank and primary) which involves pulling a derby cover, all that mess and cost of new o-ring or chain inspection cover gasket or both, three different fluids unless you go syn-3 etc in all three holes.

Also good luck swapping the oil filter without dumping oil all over the front of the motor. Vic's use the same oil everywhere, single reservoir.. One drain plug on the left side of the motor which can drain right on the kickstand without a lift. The filter is also right behind it, lowest point so it can drain right into the same pan.

The first oil change I did on my High-Ball, I felt guilty like I was missing something because it was sooooooooo easy by comparison to when I used to service the fatboy. I even tried to complicate it by ordering a different oil plug with a flat-head compatible socket because of tales in here where folks screwed up and cross-threaded their plugs.. Which is a nice little doodad.

NO need for a primary chain check or adjustment.. No chain. Gear primary. Better.
NO need for extra gaskets.. Just a new crush washer on the plug. No busting into the primary at all.
No need to try to top off three different spots. One fill hole and dip stick, right side.

You just want to lube the ends of your clutch cable, check some fasteners and for the most part you are DONE. Crack a cold one, pat yourself on your back and yeehaw let's ride! :) Of course there's other items further down the road, fork oil etc, but these bikes are super easy in comparison to any Harley.

It's like a bike that sits and sounds like a Harley, but runs and runs.. and runs.. and services like a metric.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, there is a negative. If you like fixing things that break on a bike, you'll be bored to tears and your tools will collect dust. The good news is, you'll get to do a lot more riding than H-D owners.
How's this; one oil drain plug, half hour belt change, cam chain tensioners that don't break, I could go on, but I'll let others fill you in.
I wouldn't say "collect dust", Ric. I've spent a significant amount of time tinkering with my XR for funsies. Belt adjustment, new rear tire, 5 oil changes. Might tackle a fork oil change and a front tire this week too thumb up

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I wouldn't say "collect dust", Ric. I've spent a significant amount of time tinkering with my XR for funsies. Belt adjustment, new rear tire, 5 oil changes. Might tackle a fork oil change and a front tire this week too thumb up
You forgot to mention replacing regulators, burned stators and broken cam chain tensioners. Also keeping everything tight that the paint shaker of an engine loosens up.:ltr:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Better

Better designed better put together better finished just better really:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello Barry where are you located? Maybe there is a demo ride in your area. I ride a 2009 Jackpot and love it. Ride a Victory and you will love it and won't look back. Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hello Barry where are you located? Maybe there is a demo ride in your area. I ride a 2009 Jackpot and love it. Ride a Victory and you will love it and won't look back. Good luck and welcome
^ Best advice! Yes! Get on one and see how you like it. If you can, pick one with a stage 1 already done. Dang EPA!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In San Diego and the guy say, just bring in my license and my helmet and go for a ride. :)

Like I said above, I would like to replace the pipes and EPA is tough in Cal. :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Barry, I don't own a crosscountry or anything giant sized, for me, but I too am 5'5" and weigh about 165 now, but used to weigh 155 or so a loooong time ago haha. I own a hammer 8 ball, and while I can't get both feet FLAT on the ground, after riding around for a few days and such, having just up to the balls of my feet on the ground is plenty so far. I too really like to have my feet planted flat on the ground, but a simple lowering link or some even suggest to change the seat will solve that problem. I probably won't be changing the seat as I prefer the look with the passenger seat cover, but a lowering link may be in my future sometime down the road. It's really not that bad if you're used to riding cruisers already though. this is my first motorcycle and i love it already. and i can get up to and past the speed limit while cruising around in 5th or 6th gear if i need to no problem. there's plenty of getup with this motor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Barry do yourself a favor. Take all the good advise these guys have given plus read as many threads on the forum as you can. Then test ride and make your decision. This is what I did. I'm still on here because there is much to learn and some can be applied to all bikes and riding. However I chose to stay with HD. The bike fit me better and knock on wood I have not had any problems with HD that are mentioned here. Good luck on your decision.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 63 Posts