Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the sound. The ticks, knocks, deep throaty sound from exhaust. I run T6 and shifts great. Just filled up with non-eth and seems to run better.

This bike is much better than I imagined. Even after owning it for almost a year, I'm liking more each day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
784 Posts
Funny that folks say they want a bike with character, then whine when they get it, sounds like you aren't one of them.

cheers

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
Imagine how you'll feel about your bike after 5+ years, like me. I am actually bored about other bikes, I like my XR so well. Its perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Keep tweaking little things.

My bike is a 2011 so come Oct I will have had it for four years. Keep doing little things to it. Wife kind of gets upset I spend time on it, checking, or adjusting or modifing. But she ought to be happy if I was not messing with the bike, I would be bugging her or maybe stuck in a bar someplace,ha,ha. Have friends ask when I am going to get a different bike or a faster bike, hey I do not need to go 140+mph anymore. Stock our bikes can do 120+, so that ought to be fast enough, but if I just change a few more things maybe I could go....wac

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree I absolutely love the freedom 106. I love the way it sounds, shifts. It just runs and runs. I love my Victory.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Another satisfied owner.

This bike is awesome!

Late this last winter, I rode it from Long Island NY to Key West Florida and back on a 30 day, 4,135 mile trip and it performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late this last winter, I rode it from Long Island NY to Key West Florida and back on a 30 day, 4,135 mile trip and it performed flawlessly.
Wow!

That much time with a bike, you see, hear, and feel all that it is. At the end, you either continue to grow fund of it or want a different bike.

The engine build is what will keep these bikes going for many miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never thought I'd turn into brand guy but I think I'm there. I'm like this over a 2004 bike. I wonder if I'd feel the same toward newer bikes.[/color]
I'm in the same boat. My 04 continues to impress me. I've ridden a '14 XC, and it was nice, but didn't seem to have the same 'character' that I like. I really didn't get to ride it long enough to give it a fair shot though.

I find myself wanting more luggage space each year, so I'm constantly thinking about an XR or XC, but now that I have my Vegas almost perfectly setup for me, I'm too lazy to start over. Plus, my bike is paid for, lol.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in the same boat. My 04 continues to impress me. I've ridden a '14 XC, and it was nice, but didn't seem to have the same 'character' that I like. I really didn't get to ride it long enough to give it a fair shot though.

I find myself wanting more luggage space each year, so I'm constantly thinking about an XR or XC, but now that I have my Vegas almost perfectly setup for me, I'm too lazy to start over. Plus, my bike is paid for, lol.
Yes! The vegas serves me well since most of my excursions are 2-3 hours of riding. Handles twists, turns, and hills very well.

One day when I have the luxury of more time off, as in retired, I'll be needing one of the X's.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys! This time last year I went to Alabama to see this Vegas. A buddy went with me. I test rode it. It was alright. I took it home with 11K on the clock. I have 26k on it.

I figure it is broken in by now. Been a real good bike and plan on keeping it.

Went to local dealer today and sales guys were just hoping to sell one .

He told me those that buy the Vic's don't want to let them go.

I know why! :D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did something I have not done before, yesterday.

I pushed the vegas on a flat carless frontage road above 115 mph. Of course with my speedo being off, this was most likely closer to 100+ mph.

I had to try it again to make sure I was right and because I could.

Ran flawlessly with more throttle available and no residual effects when I eased back to normal cruising speed.

I'm not a speed freak or upgrading fiend! I don't need 100+ mph or feel the need to show off. I have it if I should need it. And admit wholeheartedly that this was fun... :D

This engine is great!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just watched the whole harley vs. victory engine series on utube.

I believe everyone that visits here should watch this video first.

It makes me believe these engines can last a very long time and I know very little about v-twins in general. The engineering in a vic blows me away.

I had just watched how a vtwin is made on "How its made" on the science channel. It was a harley engine.

The versus series makes it very clear that you pay a lot of $$ to buy a harley and pay lots to keep the motor running due to the engine build.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been awhile since I watched those videos, but he is wrong on some things.
Maybe! The stator is in better/cooler location. The starters are a better design. No clanking chains driving the gears with adjusters wearing out. Cooler air flow due to filter location rather sucking in hot air. Oil filter allows oil to pour out rather than onto engine.

He said the V-Rod engines are not Harley and think he said built by BMW. He said the Vics and V-Rods engines are very similar.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
When I first watched that series, I was impressed how well this motor is made, but the condescending way the material is presented made me cringe. It's almost like a total "FU" attitude that comes across. And yes, everything is not true. For example: He says the "clunk" when HD's shift into 1st gear is caused by the primary chain slack, but neglects to mention the Vic has the same kind of clunk.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No clanking chains driving the gears with adjusters wearing out.
There are chains driving the camshafts with adjusters. He also said the last car to have a chain was some 40's Nash or something like that. He must have never seen a front wheel drive transmission. There's a chain in a lot of them

1 - 20 of 32 Posts