Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the past I've noticed on my longer trips everything in my saddle bags gets really warm. I picked up some heat shield tape he replaced it on the bottom of the saddlebag see if it works and I'll get back to you all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
13,188 Posts
things will still get warm just not as much. Does it really matter if jackets and jeans get warm

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've done it. Doesn't make a huge difference, unfortunately.

Did you know 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Your chocolate bars will still get melty. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yup I've done that and I also have taken a hand towel and lay it on the bottom to insulate some. I am getting ready to take a trip end of the week. I pack my clothes in those space bags that you can get the air out and compress the clothes for space.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm most worried about the rather expensive electronics that are usually in my saddlebags including - work laptop, Kindle, cell phone, tablet, digital camera, blue tooth headset, mp3 player, etc. So far, no damage to these devices but I do worry, especially about the laptop.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I pack my clothes in those space bags that you can get the air out and compress the clothes for space.
A lot less fiddley and takes less room is to simply roll your clothing items, even undershorts, real tight and secure with rubber bands - mini bungees or two-sided velcro for larger items. Place in a case or bag vertically so you can pull one item out without having to rifle through the whole lot.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yup have done the roll up in the past. Now we pack one of the bags for the overnite stop before destination. Then only 1 to mess with.
Vinnish, the right seems to be hotter so I store the tain gear in the left. Rolled of course

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I like to keep a can of (emergency) tru-fuel in my bag for the longer rides I was hoping the heat reflective tape would help. Riding here in Texas half the battle is the air temperature being so warm but the heat from the mufflers doesn't help. I was surprised when I noticed for the first time the wedge of empty space underneath the rear portion of the bag. It got me to thinking it could be modified to be enclosed with an access door to store emergency equipment, tools and such.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about any electronics getting too hot in the saddlebags of a moving bike. Packing the devices away from the exhaust will obviously help. Just make sure to let them sit and get back to room temperature before powering them up.

On a bike parked in the sun however the inside of the bags might get warm enough to distort some plastics. If you are concerned, park in the shade where you can.

·
13,188 Posts
take a dollar bill lay over the seal on the saddle bag. Close lid and see if you can pull bill out. That will tell you how well bag is sealed. Stick a thermometer in bag and ride around and check temps.
I don't think it gets as warm as you think

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If its like the quart size, you might could put it in a can koozie and that would insulate it. The fuel can

1 - 13 of 13 Posts