Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stumbled across this doing some reasearch on my next audio upgrade.

This guy took it to another level and modded the fairing to accept
JL audio 8.8 marine speakers. I'm sure it's loud as hell but it just looks overbearing and like the steering would be heavy! He has some skills though he is out of Florida and he also built an M109 with Cross Country bags and custom rear fender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic of the molding

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
In the neighbourhood we've got a couple of the HD "Hey look at me" crowd who have their speakers going as loud as any squid in a boom box cage. One of the riders keeps it down a bit on his way to work early in the morning and most I've heard reserve it for the highway. I have to imagine it's how some feel about the intrusion of my mid-volume exhaust. We've got tons of bikes around here and the exhaust only bothers me, and most I imagine, is when it's unnecessarily loud and they are few. Music is the same thing whether it be from a bike or cage on the street or some obnoxious neighbour.

Volume issues aside, does anybody think you are getting close to good sound quality from speakers mounted in plastic with the audience sitting outside in a 30 to 80 mph wind? And likely with a helmet on. Really? Nope. And if that sound source is an iPod or other MP3 player it's another big NOPE.

If it's all about the music there are professional level headphones that can be installed in helmets. The ones I've listen to sound almost as good as my headphones at home.

I like listening to music every day but certainly not while I'm out riding. It just isn't something I'd want to do but if you're the type, that's great too but wouldn't you rather have good quality sound coming at you? This certainly isn't the way to do it. And bigger in speakers just means volume, not quality of sound. Besides, look at it. It's fugly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the neighbourhood we've got a couple of the HD "Hey look at me" crowd who have their speakers going as loud as any squid in a boom box cage. One of the riders keeps it down a bit on his way to work early in the morning and most I've heard reserve it for the highway. I have to imagine it's how some feel about the intrusion of my mid-volume exhaust. We've got tons of bikes around here and the exhaust only bothers me, and most I imagine, is when it's unnecessarily loud and they are few. Music is the same thing whether it be from a bike or cage on the street or some obnoxious neighbour.

Volume issues aside, does anybody think you are getting close to good sound quality from speakers mounted in plastic with the audience sitting outside in a 30 to 80 mph wind? And likely with a helmet on. Really? Nope. And if that sound source is an iPod or other MP3 player it's another big NOPE.

If it's all about the music there are professional level headphones that can be installed in helmets. The ones I've listen to sound almost as good as my headphones at home.

I like listening to music every day but certainly not while I'm out riding. It just isn't something I'd want to do but if you're the type, that's great too but wouldn't you rather have good quality sound coming at you? This certainly isn't the way to do it. And bigger in speakers just means volume, not quality of sound. Besides, look at it. It's fugly.
I agree that it is Fugly. However, I do listen to music on long rides. I do a lot of riding and when on the road, I listen to my music. I never listen in town, neighborhood and small towns. I am sensitive to nature and my surroundings when playing music. But on the road when I am riding 500 plus miles a day for a few days straight, I do listen. But I am not obsessed with it nor am I obsessed with my system. The purpose of the trip is the ride.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sorry if part of my post didn't come across properly. I had hoped to say in the last part that this method of a poor music source combined with outdoor speakers in turbulent air and lousy acoustics just isn't the best way to listen to music.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's true. Not the best way to listen to music. Neither is listening to music with ear plugs on. But that's exactly what I do when I'm going to be doing highway speeds for just about any length of time. My keeping decent hearing is a lot more important to me than being an audiophile in an environment that is antithetical to audiophilia.

It's a motorcycle. It's loud. The wind is loud. Traffic is loud. So, my stereo has to be loud to be heard. BUT...push in a couple of killer ear plugs to tone down all of the wind noise and most of the traffic noise...all you got left is a fantastically undistorted stereo and the rumble of killer pipes...both at a level that won't get annoying after 8 hours in the saddle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts